Sign in to follow this  
andyb5

Andy's 2000 V70 R

So, I've been lazy in updating this thread over the summer.  Here's what's happened since my last post May.

@AJp80 and I took a ride out to Ithaca for the annual Euro meet.  It's always a great time to see everyone and catch up with @lookforjoe @apeacock @sconeman and many others at the show. 

48111254181_9630b2a2f6_h.jpg

Here's a couple of random shots from around town this summer 

48144434216_e303a178e8_h.jpg

48259046886_8b0e0c1e16_h.jpg

I replaced my AC compressor, drier, and orifice tube.  The orifice tube was gross - as far as I can tell it's original to the car so I'm glad I replaced it after all these years.  After all that the AC blows ice cold again :cool: 

48752116653_1ccefa33f1_b.jpg

Finally installed the set of XC roof rails from my 99 R to get rid of the peeling roof strips that have been on the car since I bought it.  The roof strips before were in rough shape: 

48752444171_d9e45f7cc4_c.jpg  
48752632257_847e1db095_c.jpg

And I made a stop at IKEA on the way to Swedish Car Day at Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline MA  

48752443936_d10f259dbc_h.jpg

On 5/28/2019 at 9:53 PM, B_Dub said:

You remind of Big Will in that way. Speaking of, where is he?

So, I actually got to meet @Big Will at Swedish Car Day!  He was in Connecticut visiting from Arizona and decided to come up to SCD with @B Mac to hang out at the show.  After talking online for a decade or so (woah, I think I'm getting old :huh:) we were both excited to put faces to the name.  Anyways, Will's doing well, and his wagon is still as awesome as ever.  Here's the only photo I took at SCD.

48752444721_94d1a3623f_h.jpg

Two weekends ago, I signed up for a big (~415 cars before they ran out of room) annual car show here in the Capital Region.  I had a great time and it was cool talking to non-Volvo people about my car. 

48752695587_f09fb5b35c_h.jpg

On my way home from the show, I finally  took a few nice (non-phone) photos of my wagon for the first time since I bought it

48752179323_737786823f_h.jpgDSC_0294 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

48752178998_06ce63d534_h.jpgDSC_0314 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

48752515906_d647252df4_h.jpgDSC_0319 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

48752506591_fb0158f854_h.jpgDSC_0323 by Andy Buresh, on Flickr

• Upvote 6

GORGEOUS

21 hours ago, RBoy8 said:

GORGEOUS

Thanks Mikey 

21 hours ago, JoshV70 said:

Love that shot, Andy!

Appreciate it Josh! 

On 9/18/2019 at 6:59 AM, andyb5 said:

48752444721_94d1a3623f_h.jpg

Do you know anything about that extraordinary unit on the right? Owner's FB or IG account? Would love to see the whole bodywork. 

Besides, what is the right keyword searching these flaps on corners of front bumper? 

Edited by Andzey

canards - thats what they are called 

Andy I love your car/wheels/color but what are ya gonna do with the headlights? 😛

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

Andy I love your car/wheels/color but what are ya gonna do with the headlights? 😛

Andy, headlights are the windows to the soul.

• Upvote 2

Party on the sides business in the front... that's Andy 

I feel the pain with the headlights though. I own over 10 cars and I can get crystal/projector/custom/etc headlights for almost any of them way cheaper than a set of decent Jewels or ABMs for my X70s.

Edited by tuner4life

On 10/3/2019 at 6:30 PM, gmsgltr said:

Thanks! They are somehow cool, somehow stupid. Acceptable on timeattack monsters, but would also be sweet on swedemetal if trimmed correctly with good taste? 

Imo the best receipt for our vagon's headlight is taking old jewels, new lenses and morimoto hids. 

On 10/3/2019 at 11:01 AM, Andzey said:

Do you know anything about that extraordinary unit on the right? Owner's FB or IG account? Would love to see the whole bodywork. 

Besides, what is the right keyword searching these flaps on corners of front bumper? 

Owner’s IG is nickbelmonte, he’s got a lot of photos there

On 10/3/2019 at 11:30 AM, gmsgltr said:

Thanks greg, I gotta finish up rebuilding the dual projector retrofit I had on my old car. 

On 10/3/2019 at 3:31 PM, quiksilver said:

I’ve honestly been wondering how long it’d take you guys to give me shit for the ABM turns 😂

On 10/3/2019 at 5:28 PM, Brad850 said:

Party on the sides business in the front... that's Andy 

Yup, Brad nailed it!

10 hours ago, tuner4life said:

I feel the pain with the headlights though. I own over 10 cars and I can get crystal/projector/custom/etc headlights for almost any of them way cheaper than a set of decent Jewels or ABMs for my X70s.

I’m gonna run retrofits, I have all the parts, just need to stop being lazy. Also I have 1 jewel, but I would need to buy the other and get matching corners. 

5 hours ago, Andzey said:

Thanks! They are somehow cool, somehow stupid. Acceptable on timeattack monsters, but would also be sweet on swedemetal if trimmed correctly with good taste? 

Imo the best receipt for our vagon's headlight is taking old jewels, new lenses and morimoto hids. 

Yeah, jewels are the easy/clean/OEM+ option and they’re popular for good reason but I’m doing something a little different. Check out some of the earlier photos of my 99 R for details. 

Got a good wash in a couple weeks ago, and gave everything a coat of CarPro Reload to help maintain the protection the CarPro CQuartz ceramic coating offers.  Reload is awesome, I can't recommend it enough for a "spray wax" type application once every month or two to keep everything glossy and sealed up.  The results are pretty legit :cool: 

48939631742_d83116f078_h.jpg

48939442266_e8f7eb88d3_h.jpg

Then a few days later on my way to work (while the forum was "frozen") the biggest "oh shit" moment I've ever had with this car happened.  I was behind a dump truck heading towards a red light down the hill next to my apartment when the brake pedal went soft and traveled another inch towards the firewall.  Realizing this meant something had significantly failed in my brake system, I downshifted and stood on the brake pedal to get the car safely stopped without hitting the truck in front of me.  After successfully holding the stop on the hill, I was able to turn and limp up the hill about half a mile home without needing my brakes.  

A quick walk around the car revealed brake fluid splattered on the frame rail behind my passenger side rear wheel.  I stick my phone up behind the wheel and this is what I found:

48939631217_9091267a65_b.jpg

The stock rubber hose (factory original to the best of my knowledge) had failed close to the caliper. 

48939442281_5893ba24eb_b.jpg

It was a matter of time for these hoses - the outer rubber and fabric lining had deteriorated to nearly the point of failure at a couple other points too.   Moral of the story - don't trust 20 year old rubber.

48938893703_ee2b400397_b.jpg

I had a set of braided lines I was planning to install, so a couple days later, I took advantage of a sunny Saturday to get the braided lines installed.  They didn't get delivered in time to install that day, but I have new pads/rotors and ebrake cables/shoes/hardware to install on the rear.  The calipers are both in good shape, so no further work needed on those.

48939442586_a03d391702_b.jpg

48938894073_dc0bc815de_b.jpg

Hit 219,00 miles on the chassis earlier this week.  That makes it 10,000 miles since installing the B5234T9 in January, so a total of 137k on the engine.  (I'm mostly typing all that out so I can refer back to it at some point in the future)

48938894043_2e4aec1e62_c.jpg

nice work and glad it was a safe and easy fix 

When I was first learning to drive my grandpa took me out in his 71 mustang, in which I had a similar oh shit moment. Lost all braking power while at speed. He talked me through quickly downshifting, and while it wasn't a close call it certainly could have been if our luck was worse! Not trying to repeat that!

I just ordered braided lines for my V70 from FCP as a result of this post. Thanks for the reminder!

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2019 at 3:31 PM, quiksilver said:

This is so deep, man.

• Upvote 1