Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JA VOLVO

98 cluster swap to a 2000?

I am sure it is on here somewhere, but I have not been able to find it. Can a 98 cluster be swapped to a 99-00? I have found going the other way and the answer was no for the whole cluster.

Can the guts be pulled and moved to the replacement cluster so it maintains the mileage and such since the faces are the same?

You can't just swap em out.

If you want to swap te faces you can, just unscrew them as a whole and screw them back on the other cluster. GL.

• Similar Content

• By n8t50
      Hi folks, looking for some help with a misfire/sputter on a 1998 V70 N/A (537xxxkm). Car was throwing some codes for the rear O2 sensor, but wasn't doing anything funny. Coming back from a camping trip, it started to misfire/sputter while cruising at 100km/h in 5th gear. It then started stalling out while at idle. I replaced the rear sensor, and shortly after, it started to throw codes for the front O2 sensor (slow response, and lean mixture), and do the same thing.
      It is fine on startup, but sometimes will have little fits of stalling at idle, and sputtering/missing when accelerating/cruising. When it would stall, I used to be able to get it too restart on the first try, but now it usually takes 2-4 cycles of the ignition to get it to catch. Once I give it some gas and take off, it improves a little, and just seems to lack a little power. When at idle, you can also smell the exhaust, which normally is very clean.
      Today I replaced the front O2 sensor. The car ran well for 30min, then threw the same codes, and started acting up again. I've tested the PCV and the compression, and both are fine. The spark plugs are new, but the rest of the ignition system (Coils, leads, rotor) are older. I'm thinking this sounds like either an ignition system problem, or a fuel system. I'm not sure how to run the normal relay test, because it it is really intermittent with its sputtering/stalling. (Currently there seems to be about a 50/50 chance of it being fine, or acting up when I take it out) I'm probably going to redo the ignition system, because the car needs it anyways, but am wondering what else this could be.
      Thanks guys!
    • By andyb5
      Here's the story behind my new-to-me 2000 V70 R. Its gonna be a long post, and picture heavy too!
      This thread will serve as a continuation of sorts of my 1999 V70 R build, which can be read here:

The conclusion to that thread will come later this summer, as I will be pulling all the modifications of my 99 R, and transferring them to the 00 R.  Now, onto the details of my new Venetian Red 00 R!
      My friend sent me the for sale ad on Facebook:

Here's a couple of the photos from the listing:

After spending a few weeks negotiating with the seller, I bought a one way flight to Denver, packed some tools in my bag (I did, however, forgot to pack underwear ) and went to visit some friends before picking up a car and driving it 1900 miles across the country back to New York!!!
      I landed in Denver Friday evening (May 12) in the early evening.  While there, I got to check out the murals of the Denver Airport, and see all the other bits that are the basis for a long list of conspiracy theories.

Here's how it sat when I picked it up from the seller at a shopping center a short walk from my friends apartment.

Shortly after taking delivery of my R, I went on a hike in up Golden with my friends.  The views were stunning to say the least.

After lots of fun touring around the Denver area on Saturday, I packed my stuff into the car and started driving back to NY on Sunday morning (May 14th) with plans to stop at my friend's place in Cedar Falls, Iowa.  Here are some photos from the drive Sunday.  Nebraska was wide open, flat, and very easy to drive through:

Drove through miles of turbines in Iowa (despite the picture being of a singular turbine).  There's a Don Quixote joke here somewhere....

Cruising towards Cedar Falls, Iowa and got to watch the sun set

Sunday's drive was about 800 miles, which took about 12 hours, and the drive home was off to a great, relatively easy start.
      Here's how my car sat outside my buddy's place in Iowa on Monday morning

When I left Iowa Monday morning, my destination was headed to Anthony's (@apeacock) house near Buffalo, NY.  Monday held about 850 miles of driving, which was about 13 hours of driving.
      Stopped for gas in PA.  I had a hard time with card reader on the pumps though....

Made it to Anthony's around 10pm, took him for a quick test drive, and then face-planted into the extremely comfortable bed in his guest room.
      Monday morning before I left his house, Anthony took this photo of our wagons together

Made good time on my way back to Troy on Tuesday morning - at this point, 300 miles seemed like a short drive to me   I got to enjoy some really nice views in the mountains in western NY:

Here's how the odometer when I made it home:

The entire trip was 1960 miles, and I managed an average of 26.8 mpg at an average speed of 70 mph.  All of this was calculated from the trip computer. 
      And here's how my two wagons sat when I got the office on Tuesday at noon:

Earlier tonight I got it registered in NY, so now the build can begin.  Stay tuned, this should be a fun project and I'm very excited to get working on it  
    • By RobT5M
      Hey guys, Rob here. 
      I figured it was time to go ahead and make a thread since this car has been around the community and finally down here in FL for the last 8 years. 
      At one point this used to be my daily, now ive moved on to a 2018 S60 and it has become more of a project/fun/love/hate car. 
      It's had a lot of work and a lot done to it so I guess a little back tracking is warranted. 
      Originally a 1998 s70 2.3 T5 Automatic. 
      Around 2010 I added a OBX Exhaust system, 18t, WideBand, ARD blue custom Tune, various other little things. 
      Around 2013? it went from a 18t to a K24, Manual swap, and RN swap.  The RN recieved a rebuilt top/bottom using new parts and seals before install as well as the tranny. (Lol Tranny)
      Eariler this year (Feb 2018), I managed to kill the engine coming home from a large volvo meet in Orlando (over 120 volvos so I guess thats large)
      (enter the new daily thanks to winter park volvo (chris is my new bestie))
      Ordered up an 02 2.4LPT engine since there were no 2.3's in stock anywhere, and it sat in my garage with the s70 for close to 8 months...  (Hey at least the detail I got before the meet in Feb lasted 8 months riiiiiggghhhttt?)
      After finally getting tired and life back on track from a number of bad events, I sent the car and engine off to Maitland Importers (enter Alan <3 )  
      A week and $2k later, I got 1 s70 back with almost nothing for me to worry about, new control arms, endlinks, engine professionally installed, etc. etc. 
      And this catches us up to now.  October 2018 :D 

Current plans / set up for the car. 
      (bold installed) (not bold not installed)
      2002 2.4 LPT 
      K24 Turbo
      OBX 3" downpipe / cat back exhaust
      2.5" Intercooler piping with front mount
      M56
      Snapp intake pipe
      3" MAF (Currently looking, likely hit a JY for this part)
      COP conversion
      VastTuning Tune
      800cc Injectors (waiting on the mailman)
      W200 Fuel Pump (waiting to see what Aaron wants to do for base map)
      Water Meth System (Would love some input on what to go with)

Suspension
      IPD springs
      Koni Yellow Struts
      Blisten HD rear shocks
      Upper UMP Strut Brace
      Trunk Brace
      IPD brace that goes under the car (yeah I totally forgot its name)
      Extras
      320mm front brakes (have brand new brakes, pads, lines, brackets, just need rotors and wheels)
      New wheels because those wont fit with what I have </3 sad no more comets or porps
      New Headliner (wonder what pattern ill go with this time around)
      New sunroof assembly (have it just need to swap old one)
      New boost gauge (cant see my prosport during the day... weird af)

Pictures <3

[/img]

Finished the COP install last night.  Pretty quick install. 

I'll keep posting as things happen. 
    • By ovlov780t
      Here she is. Putting her up for sale. All offers will be considered. 
      https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/1998-volvo-s70-t5-manual/6705737681.html 

• By Highny
      Hi everyone, I've been a lurker for awhile and manage to find answers to most of my questions with search. However, this one got me stumped.

I recently got my hands on a 1998 V70 AWD 5 speed manual. The guy who sold me the car said the torque tube's viscus coupling was worn, lucky for me, the car came with an replacement.
      After replacing the torque tube I found something strange with the angle gear. It free spins with the car in gear. So I thought the connecting sleeve was worn. After spending a few hours taking the angle gear out, I found out the angle gear is in good shape(lacking a bit of oil). The splines for the transmission side was jagged and the sleeve was completely worn! I doesn't even contact.
      Does anyone know if I could replace the output shaft from an automatic transmission into my manual transmission? The 5 spd AWD is super rare in Canada, and the US never got this option(from what I've been told). I really want the AWD to work, if not, I mind as well trade it for an actual FWD with more upgrade option(I have Nivomat shocks for rear....).

Any help and advice is greatly appropriated.