Sign in to follow this  
Highny

1998 V70 AWD 5spd Manual Transmission to Angle Gear Spline

Hi everyone, I've been a lurker for awhile and manage to find answers to most of my questions with search. However, this one got me stumped.

I recently got my hands on a 1998 V70 AWD 5 speed manual. The guy who sold me the car said the torque tube's viscus coupling was worn, lucky for me, the car came with an replacement.

After replacing the torque tube I found something strange with the angle gear. It free spins with the car in gear. So I thought the connecting sleeve was worn. After spending a few hours taking the angle gear out, I found out the angle gear is in good shape(lacking a bit of oil). The splines for the transmission side was jagged and the sleeve was completely worn! I doesn't even contact.

Does anyone know if I could replace the output shaft from an automatic transmission into my manual transmission? The 5 spd AWD is super rare in Canada, and the US never got this option(from what I've been told). I really want the AWD to work, if not, I mind as well trade it for an actual FWD with more upgrade option(I have Nivomat shocks for rear....).

Any help and advice is greatly appropriated.

The splines are worn on the trans side? Normally they strip out on the angle gear side.

To answer your question, you can't swap the output shaft from an auto. The splined shaft is actually part of the differential inside the trans. I don't know if there are any aftermarket diffs available for the M58, but that would be an option. Otherwise I imagine you would need a stock diff from another M58 box.

If you do decide to go FWD and want an M56, I have one I could send you if you can't find any locally. I'm in Victoria.

And then something to worry about, where did those teeth go? It,s easy to guess me thinks. 

A lot of angle gears die soon after the sleeve/splines wore out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By gordiesideways
      Short story long then, water pump seized, spat off timing belt, bent 12 valves. Got a replacement engine from a slightly younger s60. Prior to the belt coming off, the only fault present was an intermittent throttle body fault. Anyway, stripped everything off both engines. New timing belt kit and water pump on to new engine, vvt not touched. Every sensor original to the car put on the new engine, even flywheel and clutch. Now I have nigh on impossible to start cold, misfire, 3500 rpm limiter, emission service urgent, cel and the only code is p0336. Have swapped out crank sensor with one from another car that is known good, and done a hard reset. Is my cam timing off? I timed it to the marks when replacing the belt, but I didn't move the vvt hub, however I didn't hear the engine running before I bought it. Only thing left I can think to check. Any more ideas?
    • By 4eva's Dad

No longer for sale

• By gordiesideways
      Hi, about to ask a question that has probably been asked a million times before. Mk11 v70 with b5244s seized the water pump and threw off the timing belt. Bent 12 valves just to make me feel better. For the price of 12 valves I've got a complete 01 s60 with b5244t3 engine. If I drop the turbo engine into v70 with the ecu will it work, or would I just be better pillaging the head for my n/a motor? S60 is auto and v70 is manual. Any advice is appreciated as this is a far cry from me dropping cummins engines into land rovers. Cheers, Gordie
    • By gordiesideways
      Hi, about to ask a question that has probably been asked a million times before. Mk11 v70 with b5244s seized the water pump and threw off the timing belt. Bent 12 valves just to make me feel better. For the price of 12 valves I've got a complete 01 s60 with b5244t3 engine. If I drop the turbo engine into v70 with the ecu will it work, or would I just be better pillaging the head for my n/a motor? S60 is auto and v70 is manual. Any advice is appreciated as this is a far cry from me dropping cummins engines into land rovers. Cheers, Gordie
    • By Domo
      I'm having trouble with the rear ride height on my 2000v70xc I have changed the nivomats about two years ago it had always been low on the left in the rear so I changed them with the ride height not changing, I've looked and searched lots even swapped the shocks from right to left to see if the ride height changed to the other side but no still low on the left, checked the springs no broken coils. Is it possible that I have a broken or damaged rear spring seat that is completely silent that could cause right height issues? I don't have any clunk sounds from the back. its always lower even when its empty, when we are going camping for example its embarrassing.