Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WarmCanadianWinters

Old timing belts and Caliper shenanigans

SO

Just made an account, hello all

Tryna do some work on my '98 V70R, the timing belt is from 2006 I think, rear brakes are sitting at 10% (So sayeth the local mechanic).

Gonna pick up the Power Stop Z23 Performance D/S Rotor and pad kit. Couldn't find any note in the service records of the rear calipers ever being replace, (and the first guy who had this car put nearly 18 grand into it) does it need to be done? 

Also is this timing belt a problem? From what I've read, if it breaks, its a bad time :(

Thanks all in advance. Pretty green to mechanic-ing

Oh shitters, I posted it twice. Off to a bad start

I would replace the timing belt pronto, replacement interval is 110,000km or 7 years, whichever comes first. I replaced the timing belt on my 850R when the belt was 9 years old with ~60,000km and it was full of tiny cracks. Really the only reason to replace the rear calipers would be if they are seized or leaking or the dust boots are completely shot (in which case I believe you can replace just the boots). If one set of pads has worn down much more than the other that would help indicate a seized caliper

Do the timing belt.

Anecdotal info on brakes..... my '99 AWD wagon had 185k on the clock - I had the opportunity to get a set of junkyard calipers from a MY2000 AWD sedan with VERY low mileage, like 50k.  I was retrofitting my rear brakes to the later 2000 style AWD, I just grabbed all 4 calipers and rear spindles.  My observation when swapping, my calipers were very sloppy / sticky / and generally pooped out.  I would advise that any car that has gone beyond 150k would benefit from fresh brake calipers though I would say if you are on a budget, just wait until they fail.  I was getting some intermittent dragging on one of my front calipers/pads.  No doubt, they are heavily worn past 150k.

Since you are working with an AWD car, I'd take a look at replacing the rear spindle/caliper set up to the R version (hard to find) or the 2000 AWD type (fairly easy to find).  It is a bit labor intensive but straight forward.  You'll get the benefit of a more modern brake caliper, better pads, and larger rotor.

Thanks y'all. 

Figure I might leave the calipers, they don't look awful.

Will check out timing belts since I'm down south right now and the lack of a sales tax in oregon is a godsend.

The more I look into my car the more problems I find, I suppose that's just the way it is. 

Timing belt breaking leads to valves hitting pistons - end of engine.  You should also replace all the pullys/tensioners that have to do with timing belt every other timing belt change.  If you don't know the history of yours, replace them!  An idler pully or tensioner going out will do the same damage.  There is debate on when to change the water pump while you're in there.  It's a PITA getting the old gasket off.  Some say at 140,000 miles (2nd timing belt change), some say 210,000 (3rd timing belt change).  because Volvo OEM water pumps seem to run forever.

Volvo OEM brake calipers seem to last a looong time.  I still have all my original calipers on both my 850s with 190K and 170K.  Just make sure to change out your brake fluid every 3 years or so, and only use the Volvo recommended fluid (IPD sells it)

While you're replacing brake pads, I recommend trying out Akebono Ceramic.  Not that much more than OEM.  All the non-OEM brake pads, I always had squealing from the rear eventually, even with shims.
I also like the Brembo rotors.  They seem to last a long time, aren't that expensive, and most importantly, the rear ones don't surface rust on the hubs.

• Similar Content

• By ksb
      Our much beloved V70R (~110K miles) overheated on a family trip from Oakland to LA this week.  It now sits at a dealer/service station waiting either for us to pour more money into it than we can afford right now, or for you to come and pick it up.  Asking $1500, OBO.  Then you can either fix the thermostat (and possibly head gasket) yourself, or part it out.
      We are the original owners, with complete service records.  Right before this trip, it had a regular service and new front brakes done (but, ugh, not the thermostat).
      Needs to happen by Weds July 8, in Los Angeles. Paypal, Venmo works.
      (1st side facing pic is from this week, dash board & down facing pic from last year.)

• By YV1LW
      A7737.pdfA7610.pdfA7608.pdfWanted 1998 V70R driver door interior panel. Interior code 3866.A0636.pdf
    • By Shane E
      99’ V70R wagon for sale best offer. Black with tan interior. 159K. Timing belt @ 111k, head rebuilt @ 128k. New heater core and radiator. Rebuilt rear driveline @ 130k but now removed because it started to vibrate. ABS light is on and abs is non-functional. Nice interior and no dents on exterior. Located in 83422. Text me for pics.. Shane, two 08 31three 9zero46
    • By KMF
      Hi im new to this forum and this is my first post.
      i have a V70r 1999 
      there seems to be difficult to find a gearbox replacement 1208943. Reason for replacement is the gears are slipping when the atf is hot. I want to rebuild it but instead of taking down the one on the car I’m looking for one used I can rebuild and swap with the one on the car.
      my questions is: can i use other gearboxes F.ex 1208942 from xc70? 
      Does anybody here know What might be wrong with the one i have? No DTCs!
      Does anybody have A 1208943 they might wanna sell? Or maybe 8111193..
      other things I can do except flush as I just did that? 12l jws3309+treatments+leakstop
      where is the Volvo race mechanics ? 😅

• By 05V70RGT
      A slightly neglected but making a comeback, 70R that is just itching to find a motivated owner. Nearly every month, we all read, or hear about, another R selling for CRAZY money. This particular R is NOT crazy money. It's reasonable money. $4000.00 and who knows, it may be even cheaper. What I would REALLY be interested in, is a TRADE. STRAIGHT ACROSS. CAR FOR CAR. 

MINE; 2005 VOLVO V70R ONE OF 674
      190,000. Mostly fwy commute miles silver paint with the typical Gobi colored leather. Yes, it would be nice if it were flash green with Atacama but it's not. Clean title, never been involved in any significant accidents. NO panel has been repainted. Has a few of the typical umps and bruises but nothing big. Interior is Gobi leather and is a little tired. CaR starts easily, idles nicely, revs like a pissed off banshee,  has a working 4C system, all three settings, NO CHECK ENGINE LITE, NO codes other than ignition ring and rear wiper motor. 
      Automatic trans with a new, Quality replacement, valve body including all eight shift solenoids. New, not ebay Chinese "reman" solenoids as well as all new proper transmission fluid. I have set adaptation thru VIDA only to find out that the VIN LOCKED TCU is probably "bricked" and needs a XEMODEX replacement.  APPROXIMATELY  $499.95  I just don't want to deal with it as I have other cars and projects in various stages of completion and have no room. 
      If I were to keep it, I would absolutely do an M66 Install as this conversion alone seems to make people go mad and throw huge amounts of cash at owners. 
      If I had the room I'd strip it bare and make it a 6 speed track only car with full cage etc.
      Yours; 95-97 855R  prefer red but any R color would work. Needs to be in reasonably decent condition. NO SALVAGED TITLE. Must run. NO more than 2 years out for tags. I understand how old they are and how crappie the interior plastic is now so I won't freak about a cracked or broken interior. PLEASE,  NO TOTAL POS CARS BUT SOME ISSUES ARE EXPECTED 
      Interested? Let me know what you're thinking and maybe we can make something happen