Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Volvo5.0

Fuel Pump Upgrade

I have an ARD 320lph pump installed now, but not sure about it. My Turbo-Tuner ECU just died and I'm in the process of getting my VAST tune dialed in. I had an issue with the car leaning out at high RPM's with Turbo-Tuner, so I'd like to address this potential problem before Aaron starts making adjustments to his tune. It looks like people are liking the DW200 and DW300. Looking at Amazon there are multiple choices and the DeatschWerks website doesn't clearly show one specifically for Volvo. Which one are you guys buying? Links to any deals would be appreciated.

I have an AEM 320lph (i think?) which I've heard is a repainted walbro. I know Matt (simply volvo) has been running one for a while. I haven't installed mine yet but it does look and feel nice. I will get you more info when I get the chance. 

Have you ran a dedicated wire from the battery to the pump?

Can't go wrong with either the dw200 or dw300.  The only difference is flow so take your pick based on power requirements.  I would think the dw300 is overkill for < 350 hp, but Aaron would have a better idea.  Consider upgrading your pump wiring while you're at it to get less voltage drop between the fuel pump relay and the pump.

DW doesn't have a specific kit for volvo; just get the generic one and it will fit (with some minor dinking).  IIRC I reused the stock fuel screen on my dw200.

Think this is where I got mine; they're pretty good on price:

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/fuel-pump-kits/det-9-201-1000-deatschwerks-dw200-series-fuel-pump-w-install-kit-universal

https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/fuel-pump-kits/det-9-301-1000-deatschwerks-dw300-series-fuel-pump-w-install-kit-universal

I don't have any experience with fuel pump upgrades on P80s, but I have been doing lots of research for my 740 lately and have read nothing but great things about Deatschwerks fuel pumps, particularly the dw300.

They don't make any Volvo-specific pumps, but it's not too hard to adapt one to fit. Hell, I even had to modify my "OEM" Bosch pump to fit my GLT, even if that means just taking off some plastic casing.

How about testing your current fuel pump for flow volume before blindly wasting money?

On 6/14/2018 at 12:01 AM, TryingBe said:

How about testing your current fuel pump for flow volume before blindly wasting money?

Took your advice and checked the the ARD 320lph pump. 2.55 liters delivered in 30 seconds, so over 300lph. I haven't upgraded the wiring to the pump yet, so I think I'll do that and call it a day. I guess my high rpm lean condition was probably related to my poor tuning of the Turbo-Tuner ECU. I'm sure it will be no problem for Aaron to sort out when I send him my logs.

1 hour ago, Volvo5.0 said:

Took your advice and checked the the ARD 320lph pump. 2.55 liters delivered in 30 seconds, so over 300lph. I haven't upgraded the wiring to the pump yet, so I think I'll do that and call it a day. I guess my high rpm lean condition was probably related to my poor tuning of the Turbo-Tuner ECU. I'm sure it will be no problem for Aaron to sort out when I send him my logs.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly when you need the direct wiring, at high rpm when the pump is not getting enough voltage. 

Knowing Aaron he could probably tune your car to perfection without a fuel pump lol

1 hour ago, Volvo5.0 said:

Good. I bet if your car and running and you measure the voltage at the pump, you'll only get 11 volt.