Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crossthreaders

1997 850 Awd

Hey guys. I’m currently about to purchase a 850 Awd in regent red (I think that’s the colour). I’m just wondering what I should look out for if there is anything. I have a 94 T5 so I’m pretty confident, just entirely unsure about the awd system. Also what kind of power figures can I expect to push through this awd system, and what’s the torque split? I’m guessing it’s front bias? Again I have no experience with the awd, only the fwd so any help is appreciated. If anyone could point me in the right direction for aftermarket parts for the awd that would be sweet.

I’m planning on around 400awhp and daily driven. Yes I know this will be a fairly substantial build but I have nothing but time. Thanks for any help👍🏾

Not quite the correct subforum.

This video might explain a few things:

If you look on Youtube, you'll find videos of Hussein's V70XR. IIRC, his last dyno results were over 450AWHP while power was distributed 50/50 front/rear.

Change the fluids, keep your tires within spec (it's very particular about this, must be within 3/32"), and don't do any hard launches. These aren't 911 Turbos, RS3s, or GTRs, but the AWD is relatively tough.

There are no direct aftermarket upgrades for the AWD, only the multi-link rear suspension.

Factory test directions:

"Ensure that the viscous unit remains at room temperature (it was about 45 F outside but best I can do).

A7700344

– Raise the left or right-hand front wheel so that it rotates freely. The other wheels must be in contact with the ground.

– Select neutral.

– Position a torque wrench horizontally as illustrated (basically attach it to the big axle nut and position the wrench so that it's parallel to the ground with the handle pointing in the direction of the front of the car. Read the torque value.

– Turn the torque wrench half a turn (180) clockwise with even torque for 25 seconds.

– The torque must be GREATER than 50 Nm ( 37 lb ft) during the entire turn.

The test method assumes that all the other components included in the system function correctly. If the torque is below 50 Nm (37 lb ft), the viscous coupling is outside the specification and/or damaged."

After confirming your AWD actually functions:

First order of business would be M66 Manual swap, Quaife 14J install, S60R clutch or Spec setup. Higher output fuel pump. Look for a used R/RN motor to build. That power level will need suspension, brakes, etc., upgrade. Over 350AWHP, many other factors come into play. 

If you AWD doesn't work, you will likely have a difficult time as that setup is different than mid '98 on, and parts are getting rare, even for the later setup (98-99, '00) and interchangeability is limited. Research that. You can start here for getting to know the parts

• Similar Content

• By carson3
      Hi all! I'm looking for a recommendation on what to do with this classic car!
      This bad boy has 106,250 miles on him and has his fair share of nicks, dings, and minor bruises. The right front sidemarker assembly lens is missing and sometimes starts in 3rd gear on extended drives.
      Is there any Volvo enthusiast that would fix this guy up? I'd love for it to go into good hands instead of trading it in! 😀

• By cryptophilosopher
      98 99 00 01 02 03 04 VOLVO S70 S40 S80 V40 KEYLESS ENTRY KEY FOB OEM

https://www.amazon.com/VOLVO-S70-S40-KEYLESS-ENTRY/dp/B01M28NQXR/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
    • By Einherjer
      Today on my way home something went wrong with my clutch system. Shifted down from 4th to 3rd and the peddle suddenly went soft, and the clutch wouldn't disengage. Ended up limping it to my parents place which was a task on its own. 
      I popped the hood when I got there, but cant see any visible fluid around the slave where it meets the trans (internal slave). I've had my dad watch the fluid reservoir as I pumped the peddle and the fluid level doesn't move at all. I cant see any puddles on the ground where it might be leaking.
      So my question is: Is it the the master cylinder that's  gone bad, or the slave cylinder? The slave was bought brand new, has about 3,000 miles on it right now. The master was used, unknown mileage. 
      car is a 1998 V70R with an M58 swap.
    • By Crossthreaders
      Hi everyone, just joined the forum and hoping I can get some help😁Just purchased my first car, a 94 850 T5 and looking at some different wheels. I had a quick look on here and people are saying that 17x7 and around a 38-40mm offset is the most you’ll be able to fit on an 850. Currently I’m looking at these V50 wheels, the issue is that they are 17x7.5 and have an offset of 52.50. I really quite like them and for $400 for a set of 5 it seems like a good deal. Does anyone know if I can get these to fit/what modifications I’ll have to do? Also, I hear something about late model wheels not fitting because of their hubcentric sizes or something?
      The tires on them are 225/45/17 if that helps, I read 225 is as much tire as you can get on an 850 aswell. Any help is appreciated!

• By ovlov780t
      Here she is. Putting her up for sale. All offers will be considered. 
      https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/1998-volvo-s70-t5-manual/6705737681.html