Sign in to follow this  
Strider90

05 Volvo s40 "t5" modification

G'day all,
I was just wondering if anyone here has much experience with the 2005 s40's and how far they can be pushed?
I'm in the process of upgrading the intercooler, intake and exhaust, and I was thinking about increasing boost just a little. From what I've heard, they don't support too much in the way of mods. I only want to go as far as the factory ecu will allow, even if that's only a 2-3psi increase, I'll be happy with that. I want this to be a comfortable daily and not a budget race car. 
Is a 2-3psi increase doable with upgraded intake and exhaust? Will the factory ecu be able to compensate properly? 

Thanks in advance.

if the t5 from an s40 is like the t5 from a v70 (2.3l), then they only support about 300-310 hp stock.  There's a good P2 post about the limitations of the tranny, engine, etc. and what you can do to fix that.  In terms of increasing PSI, first I'd replace all vacuum hose, look at your TCV for clogging, and check the wastegate for correct actual opening pressure (should be about 4.4 psi for a v70 t5, haven't looked at s40.)

On top of that, putting in a forged or IPD CBV will help your turbo out quite a bit on top of the newer vacuum hose.  You can also put in a 20 dollar porsche tcv from rockauto, just look that up on google.

Edited by zmarshm1

You can push the engine to the neighborhood of 20 psi or ~300 whp by installing a larger K16 turbo in place of the factory K04 turbo, getting an ecu tune, upgrading the intake and manifold, camshafts, intercooler and exhaust. For your stated goals, a downpipe and tune should be plenty, no need for anything else.

The weak point is the engine block - lots of people have cracked a cylinder liner when pushing a stock engine to higher power levels. By installing Darton sleeves, the block is no longer the limiting factor and the engine should hold up to a substantial amount of power. 

On 3/19/2019 at 2:28 PM, andyb5 said:

You can push the engine to the neighborhood of 20 psi or ~300 whp by installing a larger K16 turbo in place of the factory K04 turbo, getting an ecu tune, upgrading the intake and manifold, camshafts, intercooler and exhaust. For your stated goals, a downpipe and tune should be plenty, no need for anything else.

The weak point is the engine block - lots of people have cracked a cylinder liner when pushing a stock engine to higher power levels. By installing Darton sleeves, the block is no longer the limiting factor and the engine should hold up to a substantial amount of power. 

I was actually looking at those sleeves while building a list for a (future stage 3-4 build) - do you need to get the cylinders machined or are they just drop in and go? Mind you I've never been inside of an engine.  Thanks

I'm not looking to go anywhere near 20psi, or any ridiculous amount of power. I just want to know at exactly which point it NEEDS upgrades, because if I can run an extra 3psi stock or 5+ with work, I'll take the 3. I just want a little extra power and the turbo to be more audible. I like listening to spool when driving. I know that quite a few cars can have the boost increased a couple psi without conflict, but I know that this isn't really one of them. 
A lot of forums I've read, people are saying they're limited by 91 octane fuel. 98 is readily available where I live, so would that help with increasing boost a little? 

Edited by Strider90

7 hours ago, Strider90 said:

I'm not looking to go anywhere near 20psi, or any ridiculous amount of power. I just want to know at exactly which point it NEEDS upgrades, because if I can run an extra 3psi stock or 5+ with work, I'll take the 3. I just want a little extra power and the turbo to be more audible. I like listening to spool when driving. I know that quite a few cars can have the boost increased a couple psi without conflict, but I know that this isn't really one of them. 
A lot of forums I've read, people are saying they're limited by 91 octane fuel. 98 is readily available where I live, so would that help with increasing boost a little? 

A stage 1 tune is what you’re looking for, nice and easy. You won’t need any upgrades to support a mild tune like that. 

7 hours ago, andyb5 said:

A stage 1 tune is what you’re looking for, nice and easy. You won’t need any upgrades to support a mild tune like that. 

As far as I'm aware, there is no one in the immediate area that tunes volvos. Would I not need an aftermarket ecu? 

15 hours ago, Strider90 said:

As far as I'm aware, there is no one in the immediate area that tunes volvos. Would I not need an aftermarket ecu? 

Nope. You get a tune from Shark Performance, Hilton, or Elevate and load it onto the stock ecu. It’s as easy as plugging a cord into the obd port

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:29 AM, andyb5 said:

Nope. You get a tune from Shark Performance, Hilton, or Elevate and load it onto the stock ecu. It’s as easy as plugging a cord into the obd port

will I need to increase the boost to match it? or will the ecu change the boost via the solenoid?

6 hours ago, ArMiGer said:

You are getting the boost from the tune. No other mods are required.

Okay cool, that might be the way I go then. 
I'm assuming the increased boost comes from the solenoid bleeding more air after the tune or something?