Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bmdubya1198

ECM-6300 and ECM-6B00 and some wiring Qs

So I just got my R tuned by Hilton, but I'm not quite happy yet with how it's running. I have some serious low boost issues (no boost at all in 1st, 2nd-5th only peak at 10 PSI), and I think they may be related to the above codes.

When I hooked up VIDA I got the following codes...

ECM-1100 Outside temperature sensor - signal too low
ECM-6300 ETS warning lamp - signal too low
ECM-6B00 Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) - signal too low
ECM-9300 Clutch pedal sensor - signal too high (I don't have a clutch switch installed, so that's probably why this code is present. I'm going to see if Hilton can remove the clutch switch from my tune)

I checked out the wires for the ETS light and MIL, and I have about 26-30 ohms to ground on both of them. I don't believe they are supposed to be grounded at all. I tried moving around the harness in multiple places, but the resistance stayed steady. I removed the ECU, no change, so the ECU is fine. I know the ground is between the harness and the ECU, when I removed the large connector under the dash (24/13D on the diagram) I got an open circuit on the side that goes to the cluster.

I did some work on the wiring in this car, but I didn't touch these wires or anything that runs along the passenger side, for that matter. I jumped the two wires that run to the cluster per BlackT5's thread below (halfway down page 6, post from March 1st, 2013) but I didn't touch anything else on the ECU B connector.

The particular wires in question are a brown w/ white stripe (MIL) running between ECU B46 and the cluster and a pink wire (ETS light) running between ECU B41 to the cluster.

Does anyone know if these are supposed to be grounded? Is 28ish ohms to ground acceptable? Or do you think this is an issue with the tune?

Nobody?

I'm not as much concerned about the clutch switch or the temp sensor code (I fixed the latter by plugging in the sensor... shocker) but I'd really like to know if there is anything to look at in particular with the other two codes (ECM-6300 and ECM-6B00). I'd rather not take apart the harness under the dash, but it looks like that's what I'm going to need to do. I think these codes could possibly be related to my low boost condition.

@bmdubya1198

for 6B00 disconnect the ECM and cluster and measure resistance between ECM B46 and cluster connector B11

for 6300 disconnect the ECM and cluster and measure resistance between ECM B41 and cluster connector B1

Both should read somewhere about .001-.005 ohms. Keep us posted!

Both wires pass-through connector 24/13D

wiring diagram.JPG

wiring diagram 2.JPG

I’ll test this tomorrow.

What I discovered though is that when I disconnect the cluster B-connector and check the wires at  24/13D both wires show open circuit to ground.  They go to 26 ohms when reconnected. Same result when I test the wires against each other.

Tested the wires earlier, they came out to 0 ohms. I also double checked for continuity in the CAN bus wires between the ECU and cluster just to make sure I correctly jumped those wires when I did the M56 swap, and all is good there as well.

11 hours ago, Ihatespeedbumps said:

24/13D have any corrosion?

Not that I can see.

Could a failing ETM cause these errors? I can't say for sure, but it sounds like mine is making a strange buzzing/whining at idle. I tested it in VIDA though, and it checks out.

No, ETM wouldn't have any effect on these faults. Not to say you aren't having ETM problems, they are all shit after all.

If you are positive those circuits check out then you have a hardware fault in the ECM or the DIM.

Who knows, maybe the ECM is bad. I had a code CDM-000D a while back for "communication, ECU internal fault." It hasn't reappeared since I cleared it, but it's worth mentioning. From  what I understand from the wiring diagrams for the cluster, it all seems to be working properly. The internal grounds are okay and the signal wires appear to be connected somehow within the unit, so the 26 ohms I'm seeing between the B1 and B11 wires doesn't sound out of line, especially considering my cousin's car showed the same value.

I'm really thinking there's some kind of internal fault with the ECU. I have absolutely no idea what else could be wrong. The codes are still there after repairing and replacing the ETM, and the low boost issue persists.

Well I checked over everything again, and nothing seems to be wrong. All I can think is that the ECU is failing. Here is a thread I started over on SS... https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?599677-Suspected-ECU-Failure-what-do-I-do

I've had some strange issues lately and CDM-000D reappeared. Already tested another cluster/CDM/DIM, no changes. There is definitely no short to ground in those wires. Now I'm also losing the tach signal and having some serious rough idle issues.

I think I may have found the problem. There is definitely a short to ground. I noticed it first on ECM B38 and B11, both power wires for the ECM, and worked back eventually to fuse 15 in the fuse box on the windshield cowl. I noticed it was only showing continuity to ground at this fuse when a door was opened, and I believe it has something to do with the sensor for the interior lights.

What I found out after tearing a bunch of stuff down and disconnecting the three large connectors under the dash and the ignition switch ring (with the I, II, II markings, not sure what to call this) is that the wires are showing continuity to fuse 15, but also about 6.8 ohms to ground. I'm assuming that one or more of these three wires are damaged and shorting to ground between the fuse box and the other ends.

Hopefully I've isolated the issue and I can find exactly where the problem is tomorrow. I'll keep this thread updated. Feel free to add any info if I'm off track here and there's supposed to be ground on all these fuses... but I feel that shouldn't be the case.

After checking my cousin's car, all the readings I got were totally normal. The only thing that I don't think is supposed to happen (haven't tested this on his car) is that the wires on ECM B41 and B46 are grounding (about 5 ohms if I pull the large connector under the dash and probe them with the key in position 2) with the key in position 2. It's between the ECU and that connector. From the connector to the cluster seems to be fine.

The issue I want to focus on now is those two codes in the original post. My low boost issue seems to be due to a boost leak, not electrical. The readings I get at the TCV are within spec, so I'm happy about that.