Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vasitas

1997 Volvo C70 T5 manual

Recommended Posts

Hello, my name is Thorben. I live in Belgium and I've been driving Volvos for a while now. I have a degree as an event manager but I work in the mega industry as a panel operator since it is close to home, earns better and I can maintain my hobbies. It's all about having the most fun in life as possible right?

I started off with an automatic 1998 V70 tdi (Audi engine). God I miss this car, if it was only for the cruising. Did a bargain on this for €1750. Modified it with canisto rims, black leather interior and some few more exterior mods. 

1507560_10152264114119326_183630109_n.jp

The next Volvo I got was a manual 1999 Volvo C70 T5. Bought it for €1000 with pegasus rims on it. The car was a mess but a good base to start off my T5 project where I was dreaming off. Stage 0 was 100% ready and I fitted tritons on it. Took me over a year and another €4000.

13775556_10154303308409326_2502989653686

The car was finally ready to get over 330BH as I was dreaming off. But disaster struck and I got hit by another car on the highway and the car flipped 3 times.
I ended up with 1 hernia and spinal cord compression in my neck, 1 hernia in my lower back, meniscuses in my knees all f*****, nerve pain on the left side of my face and nerves hit in my left eye (sight 100% ok but I see flashes all the time).

15871551_10154838051379326_1971258097066

No doubt I was going to get a new T5. I was in love with these cars and they are cheap and outrun Golf GTIs easily.
So I was able to buy the private C70 of my garage mechanic. The car had been sitting 5 years outside and didn't drive for all that time.
It just had a rica chip on it, K&N filter, Nebula rims and a rare 850 big brake kit (still brakes like s*** lol).

I had bigger plans for this car since I was hungry for more horsepower than stock and wanted to race against faster cars in the weekend. All the modding besides my body recovery which wasn't easy. It took me over 2 years of decent recovery but I managed to install 85% of the mods myself and I'm proud how far I've got now. I've got a reliable sleeper with almost 0 problems.

62597648_10157221636484326_1739883250085

55764240_10157031400769326_2144172881049

56232356_10157031400829326_4065730829689

The list of mods are:

- BSR air intake
- DO88 intake hose
- 16T angled flange billet turbo (custom made by FHummelTuning)
- DO88 RIP kit
- Aftermarket alloy intercooler
- Intercooler water spray
- Modified stock manual throttle body
- Blue Volvo injectors
- Polished and flowed S60R manifold
- 3 inch 200 cell cat downpipe (FHummelTuning)
- TME Sweden catback
- Mapping is done by Schutten tuning (safe map) 
- AEM high pressure fuel pump. 
- AFR gauge (GET THIS IF YOU START MESSING AROUND AND DO A LOT YOURSELF!!!)
- Koni shocks and H&R lowering springs
- Rare 2-part OEM 850 big brake kit (they told me it was rare)
- Facelift headlight and tail lights
- Ebay trunk spoiler (painted in black stone)
- Pioneer Avic radio for superior sound (get this if you want better quality of sound)
- Rear spacers

The car pushed 300.5bhp and 410nm of torque with a faulty Walbro pump last march on the dyno. It lacked power back then and I need to do a new dyno run since I have the AEM installed and it runs rich again. It should be able to get 325BHP and 430NM or even more the owner of the dyno told me.

Here is my 0 - 200kmh (or 0 - 125mph)
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you're back to modifying Volvos after that! Looks like a nasty wreck.

Very nice C70 though, looks like it gets down the road pretty well! I hope to have my V70R running at full power soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bmdubya1198 said:

Glad you're back to modifying Volvos after that! Looks like a nasty wreck.

Very nice C70 though, looks like it gets down the road pretty well! I hope to have my V70R running at full power soon!

What power are you chasing after and what mods do you want to install? :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5:15 seconds to 100kph is impressive. Especially with a 16t. What fuel are you running? BTW, good thing you had a hard-top C70 during your rollover crash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Vasitas  Nice first post on VS!

Add methanol to your intercooler H2O sprayer and you'll make significantly more power than with water alone (assuming you tune for it).

But be careful!!  I'd say you've already used up a few of your nine lives..  :ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 11:54 AM, Vasitas said:

What power are you chasing after and what mods do you want to install? 🙂

I already have a Hilton stage 1 tune, I just need to fix a boost leak that's been impossible to find. That as well as a weird electrical issue.

Eventually I'd like to move up to a K24 when I swap the transmission to an M66.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 4:12 AM, Vasitas said:

Rare 2-part OEM 850 big brake kit (they told me it was rare)

Please take some closer picture of this. I guess its something different than 302mm setup

On 6/19/2019 at 4:12 AM, Vasitas said:

Intercooler water spray

Custom made, or aftermarket? Would be nice to see how the nozzles are positioned.

On 6/19/2019 at 4:12 AM, Vasitas said:

The car pushed 300.5bhp and 410nm .... should be able to get 325BHP and 430NM

With 16T and blue injectors? Im sort of doubtful on these values

On 6/19/2019 at 4:12 AM, Vasitas said:

It's all about having the most fun in life as possible right?

Right! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 9:03 PM, washdup said:

5:15 seconds to 100kph is impressive. Especially with a 16t. What fuel are you running? BTW, good thing you had a hard-top C70 during your rollover crash.


I actually didn't force the gearbox by flooring it the first meters, but it was very cold that night too. It's more around 5.6 seconds. We used a pretty accurate android app to get the numbers. And since it's still an android app I think it just goes under 6 seconds. It remains a FWD car. My 16T is hybrid, it has billet turbine wheels. I'm running pump gas, 98 octance. :) 
 

On 6/20/2019 at 3:28 AM, gdog said:

@Vasitas  Nice first post on VS!

Add methanol to your intercooler H2O sprayer and you'll make significantly more power than with water alone (assuming you tune for it).

But be careful!!  I'd say you've already used up a few of your nine lives..  :ohmy:

I'm done tuning since this car is my daily next to my electric speed bike. The water intercooler spray is mounted inside the Volvo grill (4 nozzles) and just under the gap of the front bumper (3 nozzles). I'm using the RIP kit so hot air comes in at the top and needs most cooling was my philospohy. My air con condensor is still in front of the intercooler. This will restrict it a bit too. But I barely use airconditioning.
I used the circuit of my wiper fluid to get the system running. I only use it at a stop light or at the highway when I do some racing with other cars. And I know it works when the water hits my windshield. It doesn't work by a boost solenoid or by ECU. This was budget built haha.
I notice a difference to be honest. Especially on hot days. So if I add anti freeze or any methanol to the water reservoir I'm curious for the outcome. :)

On 6/21/2019 at 2:39 AM, bmdubya1198 said:

I already have a Hilton stage 1 tune, I just need to fix a boost leak that's been impossible to find. That as well as a weird electrical issue.

Eventually I'd like to move up to a K24 when I swap the transmission to an M66.

Old cars with their boost and vacuum leaks. Tell me something. Im glad I had my AFR and boost guage to figure those out. Helped me a lot!!
I went full DO88 for my intercooler hoses and have an alloy intercooler. The old piping and intercooler will start leaking by age.
K24 is a nice turbo I heard. A friend of mine had it on a 850R 2.0. Where the TD04 stops at 6500rpm the K24 keeps pushing air.
Why would you swap to an M66? I love the highway pulls and most cars have a 6-speeds. You have to do 1 shift less and that is incredible in highway pulls.

On 6/29/2019 at 9:38 AM, Andzey said:

Please take some closer picture of this. I guess its something different than 302mm setup

Custom made, or aftermarket? Would be nice to see how the nozzles are positioned.

With 16T and blue injectors? Im sort of doubtful on these values

Right! 

I will try to get you these pictures of the big brake setup and the intercooler spray nozzles. It was trial and error tbh. Took me around 3 hours to get the positioning. It is totally homemade and cheap. But it works. :)

16T hybrid, the dyno had bad cooling since we were one of the first customers and I was running a faulty pump too. The owner of the dyno said it would be no problem to achieve these numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Vasitas said:

Old cars with their boost and vacuum leaks. Tell me something. Im glad I had my AFR and boost guage to figure those out. Helped me a lot!!

I went full DO88 for my intercooler hoses and have an alloy intercooler. The old piping and intercooler will start leaking by age.
K24 is a nice turbo I heard. A friend of mine had it on a 850R 2.0. Where the TD04 stops at 6500rpm the K24 keeps pushing air.
Why would you swap to an M66? I love the highway pulls and most cars have a 6-speeds. You have to do 1 shift less and that is incredible in highway pulls.

I want the M66 to get the AWD back. It's not really necessary, but I'll just feel better having everything functioning! Plus it's an R, what's an R without AWD? Haha

Oh yeah, it's proving to be a real pain trying to find this boost leak. I'm just going to replace all the intercooler piping with do88 parts soon. Maybe an aluminum intercooler as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 7/3/2019 at 7:22 PM, bmdubya1198 said:

I want the M66 to get the AWD back. It's not really necessary, but I'll just feel better having everything functioning! Plus it's an R, what's an R without AWD? Haha

Oh yeah, it's proving to be a real pain trying to find this boost leak. I'm just going to replace all the intercooler piping with do88 parts soon. Maybe an aluminum intercooler as well.

I guess the 6-speed is more fun for shorter courses and playing around corners and better cornering I guess? I understand you. AWD is awesome but it is also heavy. I would love to get a Quaife on my C70. I've been thinking about losing all the luxury and weight and see how much it improves in performance. :) 

On 6/29/2019 at 9:38 AM, Andzey said:

Please take some closer picture of this. I guess its something different than 302mm setup

Custom made, or aftermarket? Would be nice to see how the nozzles are positioned.

The 2-piece OEM 850 big brake kit as they told me.

Geen fotobeschrijving beschikbaar.

Afbeelding kan het volgende bevatten: schoenen

And now the nozzles. Keep in mind this is low budget but works great (spraying, no idea about cooling capabilities), it feels like it helps to be honest. Still running water in the windshield reservoir. No idea what I could add to get better cooling capabilities from this system besides water or anti-freeze. I also added non-return valves just before the nozzles because the water just leaked out all the time and it took endless time (20 seconds) to fill up the system and get the nozzles spraying. Now it takes less then 1 seconds. As you can see I'm the number 1 zip tie mechanic, but project succeeded haha. 

Geen fotobeschrijving beschikbaar.

Geen fotobeschrijving beschikbaar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool setup! Water is probably your best bet, it's better with heat dissipation than antifreeze.

I didn't know there was ever an option for 2-piece rotors on 850s, I'll have to look into that. Neat find!

 

True though, the AWD is heavy, but the components are already there, so it wouldn't add much weight other than the angle gear and prop shaft. The viscous coupler, differential, and axles are still installed in my car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that brake setup leaves with more questions than answers... 

On 7/10/2019 at 1:34 PM, Vasitas said:

And now the nozzles

do you use the rear tailgate window washer pump piping? what are yhe nozzles from? windshield nozzles? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brake kit should be this one: (click through)

Quite rare and hard to get parts for. Brake pads in the picture are not the OE stuff but that hardly matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Andzey said:

that brake setup leaves with more questions than answers... 

do you use the rear tailgate window washer pump piping? what are yhe nozzles from? windshield nozzles? 

I used the piping that runs under the bonnet for the windshield. I used 2 T-connectors that run to the nozzles under the bonnet and the nozzles that go under the bumper. A C70 doesn't have a rear tailgate window washer. 

5 hours ago, Blockpartie said:

Brake kit should be this one: (click through)

Quite rare and hard to get parts for. Brake pads in the picture are not the OE stuff but that hardly matters.

Yes, most people told me it's a rare item. But to be honest, braking is still a disaster haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites