Sign in to follow this  
hatchbackkid82

Volvo 22T Turbo thoughts

Just want to get a some people's thoughts on this upgrade.

I haven't heard or seen of too many people running this turbo. Is it not a popular upgrade? I'm currently running a 19T conversion on my car and it seems quick enough. I like the idea of the 22T much being pnp for the most part. The 19T was a night and day difference on the top end compared to the 16T.

Let me know what you guys think. Would it be a good upgrade in the future? 

You probably won’t notice much of a difference over the 19T. I expect you’d run into pre-turbo exhaust backpressure related issues before seeing any noticeable power improvement over a 19T.

An engine is an air pump - you need to move air into and out of it to make power. By continuing to enlarge the compressor wheel, you’re trying to feed more air in, without an increase in flow out of the engine. The turbine wheel is recognized to be the most restrictive part of the turbo/exhaust system, so without increasing the flow through the turbine, you’re ultimately limited with how much air, and therefore torque/power, you can make. 

• Upvote 1