Sign in to follow this  
JPittVolvo

Deleting Oil cooler lines on a 1998 V70 AWD Turbo

So i have been dealing with the oil cooler lines on my 1998 V70 Awd Turbo for a while. Vehicle has 169,000 miles or so on it now and since i have gotten the car i have put two sets of oil cooler lines on it. I have used the OEM lines each time with new seals etc. Well the second set is now leaking again from the connection at the rubber hose to metal clamping as the usually seem to start leaking at. I dont want to have to do a third set of lines or have these ones rebuilt. I was able to get a hold of the NA motor oil cooler block off plate that it uses instead of having oil coolers. Does anyone know if that would cause a big problem if i decided to put that on instead of new lines? The car is daily driven to work and back about 2 miles on local roads. Never take it on the highway etc, we use the wifes newer mini van for that. I am just worried that iuf i do the block off that the oil might be too high a temperature and burn out the turbo etc. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated?

would be preferable to get a pan and waterpipe from a 99 or 00 car with the oil cooler mounted to the back of the pan

From your references, I'm assuming you're talking about the engine oil cooler lines.  I would definitely NOT recommend deleting them.  I find it very odd you've gone through two sets in 169K miles; these were new OEM volvo lines?

I rebuilt both my engine and transmission oil cooler lines for less than $60 or so total and wasn't that difficult either.  Dry as a bone ever since.

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/173439-damn-oil-cooler-lines/

Full credit to @tuner4life who was my inspiration.

Related post about when I did the trans cooler lines:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/173679-weepy-oil-cooler-line-repair/

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By lowbudgetracing
      factory volvo key fobs where i work used to be a volvo dealer and some of the left over inventory was a bag of factory key fobs. there brand new volvo parts. they may need new batters from sitting on the shelf for so long. they will need to be programed by the volvo dealer. can be found here on amazon
      https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M28NQXR?ref=myi_title_dp

set of 4 s60r 18" wheels off 2012 s60r, center has been bored out buy a wheel shop to 65.1 mm to fit older 850, v70 and s70.
      rims are not bent and in great shape 600$ located in concord California
      can be seen here https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/d/concord-volvo-keyfobs-s60r-rims/6964383047.html
    • By n8t50
      Hi folks, looking for some help with a misfire/sputter on a 1998 V70 N/A (537xxxkm). Car was throwing some codes for the rear O2 sensor, but wasn't doing anything funny. Coming back from a camping trip, it started to misfire/sputter while cruising at 100km/h in 5th gear. It then started stalling out while at idle. I replaced the rear sensor, and shortly after, it started to throw codes for the front O2 sensor (slow response, and lean mixture), and do the same thing.
      It is fine on startup, but sometimes will have little fits of stalling at idle, and sputtering/missing when accelerating/cruising. When it would stall, I used to be able to get it too restart on the first try, but now it usually takes 2-4 cycles of the ignition to get it to catch. Once I give it some gas and take off, it improves a little, and just seems to lack a little power. When at idle, you can also smell the exhaust, which normally is very clean.
      Today I replaced the front O2 sensor. The car ran well for 30min, then threw the same codes, and started acting up again. I've tested the PCV and the compression, and both are fine. The spark plugs are new, but the rest of the ignition system (Coils, leads, rotor) are older. I'm thinking this sounds like either an ignition system problem, or a fuel system. I'm not sure how to run the normal relay test, because it it is really intermittent with its sputtering/stalling. (Currently there seems to be about a 50/50 chance of it being fine, or acting up when I take it out) I'm probably going to redo the ignition system, because the car needs it anyways, but am wondering what else this could be.
      Thanks guys!
    • By mynewvolvoexp
      Hello everyone,
      I am working on a campaign to bring back the 5cyl Engine but need others to join in and also make the same case to Volvo for going with a 5cyl version of the new 4cyl engine.
      I am a loyal long time Volvo owner. I have owned 12 different Volvos over the years and have learned a lot about them and have done a lot of work myself.
      We purchased 2 new 2016 Volvo XC70's and I am very surprised with some of the issues we are having but I’m not here to complain about the issues I’m having. In fact I thought maybe I can turn this into something positive so I created an article page about mistakes I believe Volvo is making with the goal of letting Volvo know how a long time owner feels about the new vehicles.
      One of the mistakes I believe Volvo is making is going to a 4cyl which I explain on my website. I am hoping to convince Volvo to go back to a 5cyl engine but I need help from other Volvo owners and potential future buyers to contact Volvo saying the same thing.
      My problem with the new 4cyl in our 2 new XC70's is although it is an aggressive engine and sounds good for a 4cyl is that fuel economy has been very disappointing. I believe this is because the amount of boost Volvo has to run to make up for having one less cylinder when instead Volvo could have went with a 5cyl version of this engine and run less boost for the same amount of horsepower with the same fuel economy.

I thought Volvo went to a 4cyl because fuel economy was supposed to be better but we feel like we can get better fuel economy from our old 2005 5cyl Volvos. I started thinking if Volvo has to run more boost to make up for having one less cylinder which brings down fuel economy with the new engines then what is the point and why not go to a 5cyl version with less boost? Now Volvo is talking about an electric supercharger and I feel they are needlessly complicating things and could have reliability issues down the road. If you drive a newer Volvo turbo the response is almost instant so I feel this is unnecessary.
      I then started thinking about how this has possibly also hurt sales because I know some people would never buy a luxury vehicle with a 4cyl engine.
      This is the article page about mistakes I believe Volvo is making and using the 5cyl instead . . .
      Mistakes I Feel Volvo Is Making

I'm hoping I can get others to contact Volvo and tell them that they agree and that Volvo should go to a 5cyl version of the new engine. I would really like to get Volvo owners, fans and potential future Volvo buyers to contact Volvo and maybe take to social media about bringing back the 5cyl with a hash tag #BringBackThe5Cyl
      I don't feel like I can do it alone and would need help from other Volvo owners and fans that I am hoping can also join in and get through to Volvo and hopefully we can get Volvo to bring back the 5cyl!
    • By cryptophilosopher
      98 99 00 01 02 03 04 VOLVO S70 S40 S80 V40 KEYLESS ENTRY KEY FOB OEM

https://www.amazon.com/VOLVO-S70-S40-KEYLESS-ENTRY/dp/B01M28NQXR/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
    • By greenellie
      Hey all! I'm planning on swapping in 'white' 350cc injectors, a 16T, and a '98 T5 ECU in my 1998 V70 GLT.
      Only issue is, I'm having serious trouble finding a T5 ECU! I need an automatic one...
      I've scoured Ebay and various other sites and they all seem to be non-turbo ECUs. I've found R and T5 upgrades online and they're all relatively expensive (150-200 bucks).
      Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      -Ellie