Sign in to follow this  
gdog

best way to find a used engine?

So the time has come; the 855t engine is getting rather tired.  Still runs fine, except a tad down on power, mainly noticeable when climbing a hill when engine is cold.  Checked the compression some days ago and found two cyls were quite a bit down, like < 100 psi!  No engine noise, idles fine and pulls good vacuum.

Would like to go with 2002+ 2.3L HPT RN engine from jy. 

So how best to go about searching for a "good" used engine?   Is there such a thing, or should I just bite the bullet and go completely through it (valve job, bore + hone, etc.) before installing?

I could go pic n pull route but pulling an engine myself in jy environment just scares me a bit, as I've never done it before, and I'm not as spry as I used to be.  Don't have a designated helper and strangely the Mrs is NOT volunteering.

Please chime in with your ideas!

Edited by gdog

I would suggest something that you can hear/see run. I pulled an engine from the PnP a while back. Never heard it run though. In the end, a waste of time and money.

I've had good luck with finding something on ebay. A few places post videos of the engines running in the cars.

The '01 RN motor we put into the wife's '97 GLT was from such a place. It needed cleaned up, but I didn't split the block/head. Just cleaned the oil pan, new timing belt, etc. Been doing great.
Picked up another motor from the same place. Had a vid and it wasn't pulled from the car until after I'd bought it. (The other engine we bought had been out for a few months).

The only other way i'd pull on myself is from a donor, on my property. I'd have to deal with getting rid of the rest of it, but pulling one in the yard sucks. I did it solo.

Edited by Chuck W
  • Upvote 1

I got an engine for my 850 from Gundies in Bellingham.  I believe there was a 30 day warranty on the engine as well.  I used it for 2 years without issue.  Call around to see what is available and if they have been tested, mileage, any warranty, etc.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the input guys!

But after thinking about it, I may just have blown head gasket.  The low compression is on cyls 1 and 2; i.e. adjacent to each other.  What do you think?

Will likely still look for RN replacement long term, but this is my daily; can't really afford to have it down for a long project right now.

I searched for my 04 2.3 from reputable suppliers that could provide some history, such as a compression test, on the engine. 

V&S Auto Dismantlers in California was a really good option but unfortunately they were on the wrong side of the country. I talked to one of their reps about a couple different engines that I was interested in. The added shipping costs made it more realistic for me to find more local instead. I ended up getting mine from Re-Volv in Massachusetts. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks Andy!  They have lots of engines. 

Looking at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Modular_engine

What's the diff between the B5234T3 and B5234T9 engines?  They appear to have the same specs but the latter seem to be more available for some reason.

B5234T3

The B5234T3[75] is a 2.3 L (2,319 cc) straight-five. Bore is 81 mm (3.2 in) and stroke is 90 mm (3.5 in) with a compression ratio of 8.5:1. It is turbocharged and intercooled with a power output of 240 PS (176 kW; 236 hp) at 5100 rpm and 330 N⋅m (240 lb⋅ft) of torque at 2400–5100 rpm. Model years 1997 and 1998 are equipped with Bosch Motronic 4.4 engine management, model years 1999 and up are equipped with Bosch ME7 engine management. Also added for the 1999 model year was variable valve timing for the exhaust cam. For model year 2001 and up power output was increased to 250 PS (184 kW; 247 hp) at 5200 rpm with 330 N⋅m (240 lb⋅ft) of torque at 2400–5200 rpm.

Applications:[102]

B5234T9

The B5234T9 is a 2.3 L (2,319 cc) straight-five. Bore is 81 mm (3.2 in) and stroke is 90 mm (3.5 in) with a compression ratio of 8.5:1. It is turbocharged and intercooled with a power output of 245 PS (180 kW; 242 hp) at 5400 rpm and 330 N⋅m (240 lb⋅ft) of torque at 2400–5100 rpm.[115] It is equipped with Bosch ME7 engine management.

Applications:

• 2003–2005 Volvo C70 badged as C70 T5 (convertible)
Edited by gdog

The T9 engine mounts differently than the T3. the T9 mounts to the body by a mount on the head, and that makes it hard to fit into an 850. Not worth the effort. I have a complete disassembled B5254T2 engine. 83 mm bore, 93.2 mm stroke. 9:1 compression. I also have China rods with the rod bushing reamed out to fit the 23 mm piston pin that is stock on the LPT engine. I also have a set of B5254T4 pistons (8.5:1 compression - i.e. '04- R engine pistons). With the R pistons, it would need different rods, because the R pistons have 21 mm piston pins. Even VIDA doesn't give that spec out, so you have to find it out the hard way. Had the bore checked, all good shape and the pistons are all "D" sized, which is the size of the bores. I want to get rid of this, so if interested, let me know. 

1 hour ago, wizzard_al said:

The T9 engine mounts differently than the T3. the T9 mounts to the body by a mount on the head, and that makes it hard to fit into an 850. Not worth the effort.

Not completely true. The T9 came in 03/04 C70s, so it mounts just like any other early whiteblock. 

For the same model year, the T9 isn’t any different than the T3 but the T9s are more readily available for whatever reason. 

Im running an 04 T9 in my 00 R. Took some minor modifications to ancillary parts install but nothing crazy. Check my thread for some photos. 

Sorry for this misinformation, was looking at later car owned by a friend, and it had the later engine mount. 

Gonna add some salt here.. 

Long story short, I was searching for the best ever head Volvo produced (with thermostat, double vvt and long spark plugs) and any-wear-still-rebore-able 81mm block

First criteria returned B5254T4 and B5244T5 while the secind criteria only leaves you with that se ond late version T5 engine. 

Needless to say that they both are becoming rare and expensive- UK asks up to 750 GBP and one must concern they'd be pushed to the limit for 12-15 years nonstop. 

Still there are good news - in the scrap yards are plenty of B5204T5 2005+ with head and block identical to B5244T5 and you can get them for 100-200 Euros, at least in my neighborhood N Europe. 

Verdict: B5204T5 is a perfect donor.