Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Burn-E

SOLVED: Erratic climate control blower response - 1998 S/C/V70

If you own a 1998-2000 S/V70 or a 1998-2005 C70 and ever swap out your ECC with another module pulled from a junk car then you need to be aware that the year of the car and year of the new module matter. 

I'm opening a new thread for a thread I opened back in 2013 (now archived) because I finally found the resolution and it's one of those WTF moments of looking deep into the heart of how complicated the Electronic Climate Control is and where it gets its inputs from to spin up the fan and maintain temperature. See the link below and I've recopied the description of the problem so someone else finds it if they search.  

Here's the solution copied from @sleddriver over at MVS and linked back to his thread.

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78577&p=518717#p428897

"The key was programming the ECC using my indy's Autodiagnos Volvo scanner. As previously stated, there are several features that can be adjusted. The one that solved this problem was found here:

Speed Signal

Note: In order for the new ECC CM to function correctly, the speed signal must be programmed. From and including production week 832, the ECC CM has been updated with a new function for the programming of the speed signal from COMBI. This is because the functionality of the COMBI has been changed. Previously COMBI had two output signals; a 12 pulsed and a 48 pulse signal. The new COMBI will only have a 12 pulsed speed signal. Therefore the ECC CM is connected to the 12 pulsed signal. The new ECC CM replace the older versions and can be installed both new & older cars. To obtain the correct functionality, the new ECC CM must be programmed for the correct type of speed signal.

The new COMBI has the text "MAX" instead of a digit at the max. fuel level in the fuel gauge.

On older COMBI the ECC CM must be programmed for 48 pulses. On new, they must use 12 pulses.

When I entered programming mode, the ECC reported it was set to a speed signal of 12 pulses. I changed it to 48 pulses. After driving off, I noticed that I could now manually set both the air temp and cabin blower speed and the later would remain CONSTANT regardless of vehicle speed."

So essentially here's the way it works:

Model: 1998

ECC: 1998 (no change necessary)

ECC: 1999+ need to change the ECC CM to 48 pulses

Model 1999+ 

ECC: 1998 need to change the ECC CM to 12 pulses

ECC: 1999+ (no change necessary)

Symptoms if the ECC don't match as described above and the settings are not changed:

Blower motor slows down or even cuts off once the car accelerates to 35-40 MPH / ~2000 RPM.

Once the car slows to below 1000 RPM the fan starts to spin back up and comes to full speed once the car comes to a complete stop. The fan still blows some air so it's not completely off - usually.

I'm fully aware that the AC spins down / cuts off when the car goes into boost / accelerates beyond ~3000 RPM - the AC is not on in this scenario.

Settings when this happens:

1. Set the ECC fan switch to full (all the way to the right) or to Auto (all the way to left) - really any setting besides 0 but it's most noticeable when the blower is running full.

2. Set the temp switch for both driver and passenger side to anything above cold (fully turned down to the blue) or full hot (turned to red)

3. Set air circulation to outside air

Settings when this doesn't happen:

1. When temp switch is to cold (fully turned down to the blue) or to hot (fully turned up to the red)

or

2. When air circulation is set to recirculate internal air

or

3. The defrost mode is turned on for the front blower

• Similar Content

• By gdog
      Got a right side ECC cabin sensor that keeps throwing a DTC code 417.  I tried the cleaning and lube fan "fix", but that was only worked short term.  I was going to bite the bullet and buy one from fcp but now i can't find them anywhere.  Every site I've found that lists it is now saying NLA.  WTH?!  I think the part numbers are volvo 9134822 or 9144337.
      I know you can get these at the JY or ebay, but figuring a used one might not be any better than what I got.  Open to suggestions.  TIA.
    • By MuseumCat
      My in-laws have a 2004 XC 70.  It had several electronic failures after a bad jump.   Most have been resolved by the dealer but there is still no heat.  The CCM lights up; the fan works; the heated seat buttons work; and the lighter works.  The dealer wanted to replace the CCM for over $1,000.  I'd like to help them avoid that cost.
      My questions:
      (1) Would a used replacement require any programming as long as it is the same part number?
      (2) Could it be the thermister or does that that it works (except for the heat temperature) rule that out?
      I am trying to decide if I try to get the existing unit re-programmed, swap with a used unit (with our without programming), or just swap the thermister from a used unit.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

• By Modus
      So I hit a nasty pot hole, BOOM!!!
      Luckily no issues with suspension or tire.

But...seems the shock has transferred to every brittle piece of plastic in the cabin and behind the dash. Got squeaks and rattles now. Okay....

After shock wave I have very little passenger heat from the ECC. I have read that some of the damper controls on the motor break an no longer move the dampers.

I have taken out my glove box and looked at the damper (a not so great location) but not sure what the heck I am looking for that would be broken.

Does any one have a picture of this damper motor broken?

Do I need to remove it to see the breakage.

I found this. How common is this?

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54750&p=275374

Looking for insight on how to fool this so I can get more heat as it's -10F here with the wind chill.

Note: No flashing ECC lights. All systems normal.

• By Jmartin919
      *** For some reason when I post this doc my abbreviation for integrated circuit "eye see" gets converted to "intercooler"****
      Symptom: ECC setting DTC code 3-1-3 "Ventilation motor shorted to earth or 12 volts" Basicly, air was not being directed where it should have been.
      Diagnosis: No voltage across pins 4 and 5 on ventilation damper motor connector. Pulled out ECC, removed cover, removed 5 screws holding down main circuit board and lifted circuitboard back and up to view top side. Found burned area around capacitors in front of motor driver intercooler's. Checked continuity and found open circuitboard trace feeding one of the intercooler's. When the cap blew it took out the circuitboard trace.
      Repair: (Note - I had the use of a microscope to do the following repair. It would have been much more difficult without it).
      The following work is done on the bottom side of the circuitboard, the side that is facing up when you open up the ECC. To gain access to the pins of the motor driver intercooler's I had to pop the smaller circuitboard off its holding pins. In order to restore 12V supply to the intercooler I soldered a piece of bare wire to connect pin 7 on each of the 4 intercooler's together, thus if one intercooler has 12V they all have it. (There's a 5th intercooler next to the bank of 4 that's positioned away and back slightly that I did not connect). I plugged the ECC back up and function was restored to the ventilation damper. I could have stopped at this point but did not feel good about leaving the other caps in place and possibly having the same type of failure in the future (although there are other caps on the board that could fail). As shown in the vendor diagram for the motor driver intercooler under "Example of Application Circuit" http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/31394/TOSHIBA/TA8050P/1501/6/TA8050P.html, each intercooler has a 10uf 50V cap connected to pin 7 that filters out A/C voltage "noise" and sends it to ground. A note on the digram calls for placing the cap as close to pin 7 as possible. Polarity matters: (+) to 12V and (-) to ground. Pins 6 and 7 are connected by a trace on the circuitboard. Since pin 7 already had the bare wire soldered to it I connected the (+) side of the cap to pin 6. I chose to connect the negative side of the cap to pin 4 (ground) of the intercooler, which is probably as close as you can get to pin 7. I then broke off the old caps by just bending them back and forth a few times so that they couldn't short out in the future. Reassembled the ECC and back in business.
      Total cost: $5

• By MorganPartee
      Just jumped off my 01 S60, and the climate control module, center switches (For the headrest release, and trunk lock), and the gear indicator LED are all powerless. The 12v cigarette lighter socket still works fine...

Nothing changed except for jumping the car off.