Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zero76R960

95 960 Sedan Oil Consumption

Hello everyone, i have a 1995 Volvo 960 Sedan  4spd auto with 156,000 Orginal Miles (  parents drove it short distances all the time ) and i have question about these particular 960 engines.

I was told that at some point all these vehicles will consume Oil. My dad owns a 92 960 wagon which also consumes a little. Mine does about i ll say roughly 1qt per 1,200-1,300 Mi ,with Normal Driving (stop and go /highway ).

I got the Logbook from my Dad, who is a big fan of his volvo and all records indicate they did replaced the "oil catch can " or something like that, the spark plugs have yet to be replaced but last time the mechanic checked ( was a volvo certified mechanic) they said they were good. The engine does not leak oil at all, runs perfect, in idle when is at its operating temp is smooth and no rpm fluctuations, in resume it runs perfect, even with a/c on, it does not puff smoke and yes it passed inspections, no black sooth either.

I use recommend oil, but the manual specifies a higher grade in case of rough driving habits or "excessive oil consumption" , but i do not know much about if a thick oil would slow oil consumption or not.

Any ideas?, is it true these Volvos  DO consume oil or is just an indication that i need to rebuild-replace the engine itself?.

Thanks in advance 

Gabriel. 

Sounds like your engine is fine.  Would recommend a high mileage oil like Valvoline Max Life; I'm running 10-40 year round now.  That should cut down on consumption a bit.

Don't know much about 960 engines, but both my 850 engines started consuming oil after 125,000 miles because their valve stem seals notoriously go hard and leak .  I burn 1/2 qt. per month.  And I changed oil every 3000 miles/6 months with synthetic over the last 12 years.  They are a known issue.

Thanks for the Advice!  :) ,

Yes i will switch to 10-W40  on the upcoming Oil Change i ll be doing in the weekend after and double check between 500 to 1000 mi. Intervals for Oil Consumption. I know my dad uses a thicker oil on his 92 960 and i haven't heard any complains on excessive oil consumption for a long time.