Sign in to follow this  
RobT5M

98 s70 manual swap question Pedal

Recommended Posts

Swap is done, and has been done for a long time. 

The clutch pedal was kinda... Rigged, as I got it 2nd hand with an issue. 

 

Looking in to getting a clutch pedal from the dealer now since I have a gift card that expires at the end of the year and need to use it. 

Question regarding part numbers. 

The number I need I believe is - 9173742 - but this shows discontinued everywhere.  
The number I've found through volvopartswarehouse is 9191520 can this be used without issue?  Is it the same pedal?   It's saying it is the pedal for a 98 s70 manual, but im also reading 98+ (99 and 00 as well) on various forums that im finding.   But I thought you could not use the 99+ pedal in a 98.  

 

Thanks for any help guys. 

And I tried searching the newer number on the search bar and did not get any results, so hoping someone might know the answer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 99+ has a provision for the clutch position sensor that a 98 doesn’t use. It’s been a while since I had my hands on a 98 pedal so I can’t remember how the 98 ties the clutch pedal into the cruise control vacuum line setup but I’m thinking it’s probably uses a different point that the 99+ clutch position sensor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, andyb5 said:

The 99+ has a provision for the clutch position sensor that a 98 doesn’t use. It’s been a while since I had my hands on a 98 pedal so I can’t remember how the 98 ties the clutch pedal into the cruise control vacuum line setup but I’m thinking it’s probably uses a different point that the 99+ clutch position sensor

 

You know, the horrible part of this, is I never hooked up cruise control, or the wiring for my back up lights.   

Maybe I should finally do those things... 

 

After going back and forth with "Tech" it looks like the latter number is the assembly I have in the car now, so going to just go with it and hope it works lmao. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RobT5M said:

You know, the horrible part of this, is I never hooked up cruise control, or the wiring for my back up lights.   

Maybe I should finally do those things... 

 

After going back and forth with "Tech" it looks like the latter number is the assembly I have in the car now, so going to just go with it and hope it works lmao. 

Cruise control isn’t too important but 100% get your reverse lights working, it takes 5 minutes to splice the wires haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, andyb5 said:

Cruise control isn’t too important but 100% get your reverse lights working, it takes 5 minutes to splice the wires haha

For real though lmao. 

 

I need to go dig through some posts and remember which wires it was, its been years.  

Found pics buried in my phone, looks like im using the latter numbered clutch pedal which is actually for the 98 S70.  
(incase anyone stumbles upon this post in the future, get the newer number thats in stock) lol. 

My top pin is gone (upper right pin), theres a bolt through it, my bottom (where the spring seat attaches is fine, left side pin) 


---------------

Side note, since I have a bolt going through with washers and such through the master, wouldn't I now need a clip of some sort to secure it once I use the correct clutch pedal (well un modified more so than correct)?    (13a in this picture looks like its for the brake pedal and not the clutch though)  
Back to googling! lmao

821923360_GR-72637(1).jpg.14ac08e6a5f9709129f2dd9cab2717b3.jpg

 

a_20170309_1726341404.thumb.png.8febb999987b5d65a3f06bad25a6a218.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure the '98 clutch pedal is the same as the newer ones, all you need are those notches for the return spring as seen in the above picture.

Provisions for the clutch pedal sensor are on the clutch master cylinder, not the pedal. There are two nubs for it to attach, one on the firewall flange and one on the rod attaching to the pedal, but not the pedal itself.

There may be an additional piece on the '98 pedal for the cruise cancel switch, but I'm not totally sure on that. I have my cousin's '98 V70 M56 in the garage right now and I'll be removing the pedals either today or tomorrow for the manual swap on his '99, so I'll see what that looks like.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bmdubya1198 said:

I'm pretty sure the '98 clutch pedal is the same as the newer ones, all you need are those notches for the return spring as seen in the above picture.

Provisions for the clutch pedal sensor are on the clutch master cylinder, not the pedal. There are two nubs for it to attach, one on the firewall flange and one on the rod attaching to the pedal, but not the pedal itself.

There may be an additional piece on the '98 pedal for the cruise cancel switch, but I'm not totally sure on that. I have my cousin's '98 V70 M56 in the garage right now and I'll be removing the pedals either today or tomorrow for the manual swap on his '99, so I'll see what that looks like.

 

Id appriciate that. 

Part number (clutch pedal) 9191520 is the correct pedal for the 98s.   

I need to figure out what the clip is now, plenty of info out there, going to call the volvo store and see what they have for that clip, hopefully they do have it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are a couple pics of the clutch pedal from the 1998 V70.

The peg on the left is for the return spring, and the one on the right is for the master cylinder rod, as you probably know.

r9Rghma.jpg
JdlBYMF.jpg

2KHtihE.jpg
WRdbfpq.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this