Sign in to follow this  
Madtown850

Best mounting points: ENGINE+TRANS to ENGINE STAND

What are the preferred mounting points that are used to mount the whiteblock + transmission, sans cylinder head to an engine stand (picture below)

I would like to mount to timing belt side so that I can do the trans swap easily.  If anyone has experience with mounting this engine and tranny to this type of stand please chime in.  Or, if you have come up with other solutions that work, please chime in as well. 

Thanks in advance

Volvo 850 Whiteblock engine Mounting to engine stand.jpg

Can't say I've ever seen this done before. Typically, if you're using an engine stand, you bolt it to the block on the bell housing side (as you probably know).

I'd recommend using a tire and just sitting the engine down on it with the transmission sticking up/out. That's what I did when I pulled the M56 from my cousin's V70.

Yeah, I think you'll wind up a bit off-balance and have other issues trying to also have a transmission attached.

Set the engine on a tire, or on a flat dolly with a pad to protect things, while you attach the transmission stuff.

I made a stand out of old 2x4''s, and 6's.

When I did my last one.

At a decent height,  so you can see everything,  about  28-30" is what I recall. Hope this helps. 

Damn... I should have just made one out of scrap lumber, that is what I initially had planned and then when I was at Harbor Freight picking up a 1 ton shop crane I saw the engine stand on sale and thought I would just go that route.  

Thanks for the tips, I didn't think that it could be mounted with trans to that stand, but thought I would ask just in case anybody had found a way.  

I ended using some 2x4 blocking on the legs of the shop crane to set the engine and transmission on.  Then I removed the T50 screws connecting the flywheel to torque converter, then the size 10 bolts connecting the transmission to engine block.  I actually got the bottom number 10 bolts out when I had the whole thing hoisted in the air, it was easier access.  As I removed the last bolt connecting the top of the transmission housing to the engine block, the transmission started to come apart with the bolt, so I put some wedges under the far end to support it from falling off and damaging anything.  Then I shimmied it off and put it on a cart.

Next, I removed the auto trans flywheel with a 12 pt. 17mm 1/2 drive socket. I used my impact gun so I didn't have to wedge anything to jam the flywheel.  Although, I did notice a convenient spot to put a 3/8 extension that would have stopped the flywheel from turning if you had to break those bolts loose with a ratchet and cheater.

Lastly, I mounted the short block onto the engine stand as it should be and am able to spin it about the axis I chose.

It was much easier to take the mounting plate off the engine stand and mount it to the bell housing and then tighten all of the bolts, and then slide it back into the engine stand mount Vs. trying to have it on the stand and mount it.