Sign in to follow this  
ThatCanadianCarGuy

Back with more Volvo content

Hey everyone!

Been awhile since I was on here last, my old username was woah4, but I can’t seem to get into that account anymore so I have made this new one. It’s been a long time since I had a Volvo but I just picked up my new car last weekend and thought it would be fun to share it with all of you again. This is my 9th Volvo, and should be a fun toy / project to work on and share with you all. 
For those of you unfamiliar with my past Volvo’s, they were as follows;

1995 855 10valve auto, stock

1995 855 T5-R, mostly stock but some work, auto

1996 855 T5-M, forged rods, GT3582R, coilovers, etc

1993 964 auto, never did anything with it really

2002 V70 T5 auto stock

2002 C70 T5-M coupe, mostly stock.

2001 V70XC basket case

2005 V70 2.5T awd full exhaust, otherwise stock

and finally the new car. 

Its a 1995 855 T5, factory auto car but with lots of work done....

this includes;

a fully forged engine

ipd lowering springs

full CX racing exhaust system

r manifold and 16T turbo

Ipd Rip kit and cold air intake kit

18 inch pegs With 235’s

Front Porsche brakes

An M59 manual swap with R clutch

and much more I’m sure I’m forgetting.

discovering more about it every day, and have plenty of plans! So stay tuned for more updates, I am quite excited to be back in an 855.

Cheers, 

Billy

D8E085A1-A48B-40C7-9B92-F2A3FC219A19.jpeg

805D448A-A3A5-49BE-B41E-2339959DC774.jpeg

831660A5-D2C9-4DCC-AADE-E4AA2C2F97EF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

nice! what tuning ya got?

also plans for a bigger turbo with that forged engine?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, gmsgltr said:

nice! what tuning ya got?

also plans for a bigger turbo with that forged engine?

I am unsure of who’s tune it is, but it was tuned by a local shop from what I was told. I would like to buy one of Matt’s kits when I can and tune it myself. 
And yes, absolutely. I kinda laughed when I heard it had a 16T on it with all the other work that has been done, it’s a bit excessive for that turbo. It does have an angle housing on it which is nice, but I plan on a GT2871R or a GT3076R down the road since it’s pretty much ready for it. I’d consider a 20G kit too if it was the right deal I suppose, won’t be doing the 35R again though as I want this to be more of a road course / auto x car and less of a highway monster, though it should still be pretty good at that. Here’s a better engine photo as well, couldn’t get it to post due to the size of it earlier.

Cheers,

Billy

82C17A42-DA22-479E-A961-B7F1A94D9599.jpeg

ok nice - repainted hood i see too ;)

2 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

ok nice - repainted hood i see too ;)

Yeah the whole car has been repainted, it was in a minor front end collision, was originally turquoise actually. The paint isn’t great and I’ll likely redo it one day but it’s rust free and more of a go car than a show car for me anyhow haha.

Looks like you've got a nice base for a project! I would definitely use a Garrett turbo on that engine, I wouldn't bother with a 20t.

• Upvote 1

Welcome back!

Excited to see what you do to this thing.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, bmdubya1198 said:

Looks like you've got a nice base for a project! I would definitely use a Garrett turbo on that engine, I wouldn't bother with a 20t.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 20G not a 20T, from what I understand the bigger frame Mitsubishi’s perform quite well but I have been out of the game for awhile so things may have changed quite a bit. And thanks that’s kinda my thought too, it’s a good foundation just needs the finishing touches! I just don’t want to go so crazy that I have to change out some of the big work that has been done like the clutch etc.

19 hours ago, quiksilver said:

Welcome back!

Excited to see what you do to this thing.

Thank you, good to be back I missed the forum. 

6 hours ago, ThatCanadianCarGuy said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a 20G not a 20T, from what I understand the bigger frame Mitsubishi’s perform quite well but I have been out of the game for awhile so things may have changed quite a bit. And thanks that’s kinda my thought too, it’s a good foundation just needs the finishing touches! I just don’t want to go so crazy that I have to change out some of the big work that has been done like the clutch etc.

I don’t know the specifics on the larger Mitsubishi turbos, but from what I understand the 20G is a big improvement over the typical TD04HL based turbos on these cars. You hear all the time about how restrictive the TD04HL is, so I would definitely upgrade it beyond that. I don’t know what turbine side the 20G uses (like I said, I’m not familiar with Mitsu turbos beyond what’s in these Volvos), but it seems to be a good choice.

I’m going to be using a K24 in my car, just trying to decide whether to have it machined out to 71mm with the “hybrid” wheel or just leave it stock with a billet 11 blade wheel since my engine is bone stock.