Sign in to follow this  
tighe

Question about programming P80 remote

1998 V70. It has the little red LED light that blinks when the car is alarmed. 

I have a functioning remote, everything works. I just bought another as mine is pretty ratty, and it would be nice to have a backup anyway. Instead of transferring the guts over to the new remote, I'm trying to just program it directly to the car. I've reviewed this VS thread, as well as some on Volvoforums, and MVS, but can't get any traction. 

I have tried the following, but have been unsuccessful. Any further suggestions?

"If you have a red security light in the dash of your vehicle, you will be able to manually program this remote. If you do not have a red security light in the dash of your vehicle then you will have to take this to the dealer for programming. To manually program this remote, ensure that all doors, hood, and trunk are closed. Insert key into ignition, turn key to position #2 and back to off at least 5 times in ten seconds. The LED indicator should start to flash, leave ignition on. Once indicator starts you have 15 seconds to program remote. Press the lock button on the remote. The indicator LED lighting for about 2 seconds acknowledges the programming."

You have the right method.  I did a remote a month ago, but I didn't remember the LED light, so I just went down to the car to test.  It does flash quickly when it is in programming mode.

Is this a Volvo remote or a generic one?

25 minutes ago, Zappo said:

You have the right method.  I did a remote a month ago, but I didn't remember the LED light, so I just went down to the car to test.  It does flash quickly when it is in programming mode.

Is this a Volvo remote or a generic one?

Thanks for the response, I’ll try again tonight. 

here’s the remote. Says OEM factory, and appears identical to mine, though it doesn’t specifically say V70. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172788153637

Hahaha, just tried again tonight but all I managed to accomplish was setting off the alarm while switching batteries around in the remotes- a fun game to be playing with the alarm blaring. The resulting angry texts from my wife were tonight’s nightcap. 

The programming changes the module in the car to hear and respond to the remote, not the other way around. So you program the car, not the remote.

Unfortunately you can't program a 98 without dealer software. 

I am fairly certain that you can program the 98 just like the 850s.  99 and above would be different.

1 hour ago, Zappo said:

I am fairly certain that you can program the 98 just like the 850s.  99 and above would be different.

This is my assumption too, and corroborates what I've read online. I'll keep trying as time permits...

On 5/6/2020 at 3:58 PM, Zappo said:

X70 vehicles handle remotes in a different way compared to 850s.

On 5/6/2020 at 3:51 PM, erikv11 said:

The programming changes the module in the car to hear and respond to the remote, not the other way around. So you program the car, not the remote.

[...]

Correct. Both 850 and X70 are programmed on the car side.

850 vehicles equipped with remote central locking can learn new remotes (Guard 1 / Guard 2) using the method that is described basically everywhere.

X70 vehicles are always equipped with remote central locking. How a new remote is learned depends on the model year:

-98MY X70 require a programming tool and vehicle specific pin code to learn a new remote. (Specific MY1997 and MY1998)

All newer MY X70 require a software download to learn a new remote.

2 hours ago, Blockpartie said:

X70 vehicles handle remotes in a different way compared to 850s.

Correct. Both 850 and X70 are programmed on the car side.

850 vehicles equipped with remote central locking can learn new remotes (Guard 1 / Guard 2) using the method that is described basically everywhere.

X70 vehicles are always equipped with remote central locking. How a new remote is learned depends on the model year:

-98MY X70 require a programming tool and vehicle specific pin code to learn a new remote. (Specific MY1997 and MY1998)

All newer MY X70 require a software download to learn a new remote.

Thanks for all the info. Safe to assume than, that a 98 V70 would require a trip to the dealer to access the programming tool? 

and good luck with that the way volvo dealers are these days

1 hour ago, tighe said:

Thanks for all the info. Safe to assume than, that a 98 V70 would require a trip to the dealer to access the programming tool? 

Yes. A programming tool and the vehicle specific pin code is required.

Just noticed I worded it ambiguously.  Was supposed to read: -98MY X70 require a programming tool and vehicle specific pin code to learn a new remote. (specifically model year 1997 and model year 1998)
It applies to all X70 of these two MY, not just specific ones. Please note that this is from a global point of view, the US did not have a 1997 model year for X70 vehicles.

Keep in mind that when an additional remote is added, all remotes have to be present. This is because the system wipes all stored remotes and has to relearn them.