Sign in to follow this  
Jamesjesse

better then OEM brake pads for 302mm

Hi all,

does anyone has experience with brake pads for volvo v70 t5 MK1 that will be good for DD, but occasional hard usage? I am looking for front pads to cope with ATE rotors.

Background:

Have my volvo for many years now and driving ATE rotors and pads front and back. Have never been really happy with this but for daily driving and occasional hard pulls on empty roads they have held up and I did not experience serious fading or not enough brake performance to any given situation. Till yesterday that is.

I never used the Volvo for AutoX purpose, but yesterday we have been building a new track and I volunteered to test it with a stock car. After couple of laps, all braking performance has been lost. No soft or squishy pedal, brake fluid changed 2 weeks ago. Pedal had the usual travel, just without braking the car. After just couple of minutes everything was fine again. My understatement is this behavior is due to pads that can´t deal with the excessive heat and most likely glazed.

Although as said, for the daily usage the ATE are "fine", it has been a terrible feeling to experience no brake performance and having no control over the vehicle. I do not want to experience this again and looking for different front pads that would be working under normal conditions, but could handle hard usage as well, if experienced.

Any suggestions what to go with? So far I have been proposed to go with:

EBC yellowstuff (not sure if available in US)

Ferodo DS2500

Thanks

Výstřižek.jpg

I’ve run Porterfield R4-S and Stoptech 309 on my car. Both pads are formulated for every day street driving and some track use. I have Porsche/Brembo calipers so my pad options are a bit different than for the Volvo calipers, but the Stoptech pads are available to fit 302s:

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_3167_3175_3176&products_id=5232

Ferrodo DS2500 are also available. They’re a slightly higher performance option than the Stoptechs but as a result won’t be as happy on the street. 

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_3167_3175_3177&products_id=7949

Thanks andyb5 for the recommendations! The Stoptech and Porterfield I am not able to hunt down in Europe. I will look some more for reviews and then shipping quotes.

EBC is very mixed reviews, seems like older posts (pre 2016?) tend to have couple of negative references, but as well some good ones. Later are more positive, perhaps improved quality.

For Ferodo I have now read a lot of positive comments, and couple of negative which have been mostly because being too dusty, but not performance wise. And seems to be working just fine for DD as well, found only one negative experience with first cold braking, next brake has been already without any issue. So overall I would go for the Ferodo. They are supposed to be made in Italy and not really on stock for the Volvo in my country - availability on inquiry. As Corona is big in Italy, it seems I will stick to the ATE for couple more months and come back to this later in the year.

Hawk pads have gotten good reviews over on swedespeed 

Unfortunately Hawk pads are no longer available for P80s. I've read extremely good feedback on them, so it's been a bit of a letdown.

I ended up ordering from a company called R1 Concepts, and they make their own pads (allegedly). I heard about them from my cousin and thought it would be some sort of gimmick, but I've actually been happy with them. My only two complaints are the amount of dust and the occasional squeal when they're hot.

ATE pads are also pretty good. I believe they're the OEM.

Edited by bmdubya1198

Designed specifically for high performance and heavy-duty street conditions, Porterfield Enterprises's R4-S compound brake pads are perfect for everyday street use, but also capable of tolerating the most severe street use without any brake fade. The R4-S friction level will offer increased stopping ability with minimal pedal effort, while remaining rotor-friendly. The R4-S compound has the absolute lowest noise and dust levels than any other high performance brake pad. Good for performance street, autocross, and mild track use.

EBC Redstuff was a slight upgrade over OEM on my GTI... better feel and a little less dust

For daily driving on my 302's on my R and v70t5m I used the Akebono Euro Premium Ceramic and they were great