What Does VS Drive During the Winter?

Quip1337x

I have been highly considering Buying a beater car for the winter and then maybe cover or garage the old beast (98' c70) What does VS drive during the winter months? Bare in mind that we do get quite a bit of snow during the winter. I live in Washington state Above the Rust line. I was thinking something front wheel drive and cheep to fix if need be. I do have new winter rims and tires for the C70 but I don't have the heart to drive the beast through the harsh winters. If you tell me what you drive and why during the winter that would really help in my buying process. I'm even open to getting another volvo for winter, but I would like it too much and not want to drive it in the winter. 

Sunny days - 1998 S70
Every Other Day and most Sunny days - 2018 s60.
Occasionally ill drive the fiancee's 2015 Kia optima lol.

I live in Florida, our winters are your summers so its always what ever I feel like driving or which ever keys I half asleep grabbed on the way out the door.

I stored my car in the winter from 2006-2018.  I always planned on giving the Saff to my kids when they got their license.

oldest started driving and now it's beat to shit.  Runs well, but all the rims are curbed, all the CF exterior pieces are destroyed.

BUT. I have two driving now and it's fine.  Just can't show it anymore lol.

I had a company car, they pulled them and I rock an Outback now.

98 V70R

2005 SEQUOIA

2016 OUTBACK

2018 4 RUNNER.

The 4 runner sits now.  Wife loves the sequoia so she drives that with kids gone to college.

Everett doesn't get snow too bad. At least that's what I remember from my youth.  But it is rainy as all hell.  I'm just worried about under carriage rust. I know its not winter yet but time is flying pretty fast lately. I'm sure the beast is great in snow.. I know there is some kind of primer you can use to help with the rust. (not the silicone rubber stuff)

I just turned down a 90' ford probe 2.2l turbo. but only 140 HP yikes..

edit: That s70 haunts my dreams.. I..want...it..

I'd garage the V70r too. what did they make 3000 of them? its like the most rare wagon in 20 years. 300 base HP Whooosh! gone.

6 hours ago, RobT5M said:

Sunny days - 1998 S70
Every Other Day and most Sunny days - 2018 s60.
Occasionally ill drive the fiancee's 2015 Kia optima lol.

I live in Florida, our winters are your summers so its always what ever I feel like driving or which ever keys I half asleep grabbed on the way out the door.

How is the quality on the new Volvos?  I based my decision of buying the 98' C70 on the 5CL engine. Everything i read said it lasts forever, bulletproof engine. our 98' platform was when Volvo was affiliated with Ford.

Why would there be rust just because there is rain?  I have no rust.

Western Washington doesn't salt roads in the winter, so no rust issues.

Id be much more worried about the snow and salt rusting the underside than just rain. 

Living in FL, my S70 is rust free even after 10 years of being mostly stored outside..  It rains almost everyday here lol.

I enjoy the S60 as a daily driver, the s70 is more for days I feel like enjoying my drive, and we honestly take the Kia optima for road trips over an hour because it is a much more comfortable ride.

Because I haven't learned what causes rust yet. I'm more worried about rust prevention. I live in Yakima Wa, and they do salt and sand heavily here.  The family who owned my car previously must have drove during the harsh snow months with no under carriage protection as I have light rust spotting beginning to show up under the carriage. I'm seriously considering sanding it all down underneath and adding an anti rust primer. Thoughts?

4 hours ago, RobT5M said:

Id be much more worried about the snow and salt rusting the underside than just rain. 

Living in FL, my S70 is rust free even after 10 years of being mostly stored outside..  It rains almost everyday here lol.

I enjoy the S60 as a daily driver, the s70 is more for days I feel like enjoying my drive, and we honestly take the Kia optima for road trips over an hour because it is a much more comfortable ride.

Yeah, after 2 hours of sitting in my C70 my lower back will start to get very sore. On my last trip over the pass I just drove. Went the full 7 hours only stopping twice. once for gas and once to get the new fender. Worth it.

If it is just light rust starting, they didn't drive that much.

I have seen an east coast car where the axle was fused to the wheel hub.  Had to pull them out together and replace them both.

19 hours ago, Quip1337x said:

Because I haven't learned what causes rust yet. I'm more worried about rust prevention. I live in Yakima Wa, and they do salt and sand heavily here.  The family who owned my car previously must have drove during the harsh snow months with no under carriage protection as I have light rust spotting beginning to show up under the carriage. I'm seriously considering sanding it all down underneath and adding an anti rust primer. Thoughts?

Yeah, after 2 hours of sitting in my C70 my lower back will start to get very sore. On my last trip over the pass I just drove. Went the full 7 hours only stopping twice. once for gas and once to get the new fender. Worth it.

Try to adjust your lumbar!

:3  P80 seats are so much nicer than the newer models lol.   P2 seats are like sitting on a cloud.

Daily driven year round, it’s my only car. These cars shine in the winter - nothing better than heated seats on a cold morning.

46932788141_50407ae6bf_b.jpg

2008 XC70 during the winter for me and the wife's 2021 VW Atlas when it's all five of us. 

But I've never had a problem with any Volvo I've owned in the winter. FWD or AWD. They've always been great. 

You guys are driving around in the winter with your beloved Volvos? That's inspiration if I ever heard it. I still really want an S70 98' if possible in the future. Things to think about.. This is great, love the pics.

19 hours ago, Quip1337x said:

You guys are driving around in the winter with your beloved Volvos? That's inspiration if I ever heard it.

These are 20+ year old Volvo’s that perform well in the snow. Why wouldn’t you? 

Archived