Sign in to follow this  
Quip1337x

1998 C70 Climate Control Unit Issues

So the dials and buttons that control my A/C and heater started flashing green lights at me. The lights that flash are the A/c light and the recirculation light that makes it so my a/c or heater uses the outside air not the air in the cab. These two buttons flash that indicate an issue with my Climate Control Unit. My c70 manual states "lights will flash if there is a fault detected"

Has anyone had this same issue? The heater comes out one side of the car and the a/c comes out the other sometimes when the lights are flashing. Hopefully this is not a crazy process to repair. Any info would help me at least understand what's happening.

Yes, I have had the flashing for many years.  I haven't bothered to track down the issue as it would require the Volvo scan tool.

• Upvote 1

doesn't that happen if you run a 4.3 ecu in a 4.4 car? or was it vice versa.

Thanks Zappo, it doesn't seem to effect much. A/c runs fine, heater too.

That's kind of what I gathered from my c70 manual but I was not for sure as the manual states "take to your authorized Volvo dealer for servicing" on everything in that manual.

Edited by Quip1337x

10 hours ago, flyfishing3 said:

Maybe, and I am running a 4.4 in a 4.3 car, but it did it with the 4.3 ECUs as well.  There is a fault and most likely a failed temp sensor or similar, but it hasn't bothered me enough to look into fixing it.

I think it means low freon. Check the manual. I believe it's in there. 

On 10/1/2020 at 9:16 AM, flyfishing3 said:

Nope, there is an issue with AC compatibility but that comes down to cooking the compressor, not any issue with flashing ECC lights.

It usually means one or more of the damper motors are not working properly. You can read the ECC codes with a home made flash reader if you really want to sort it out. A lot of people start by checking if any shafts are split on the motors.