Sign in to follow this  
Quip1337x

1998 C70 New sounds in exhaust or just healthy engine?

I was putting the wrong fuel in my C70 for months and the fuel filter was not replaced for an extended period of time. I now use high octane fuel and have changed the oil multiple times. I have changed the fuel filter recently and used lucas fuel injection and upper cylinder cleaner every 2000 miles. 

My C70 now sounds different than before. When idling in drive the C70 now makes a deeper "blub blub blub blub" type of sound before acceleration. I originally Thought the change in sound was a Misfire of the cylinders. I reset my engine light so I could see if the c70 popped a code letting me know it had a misfire but nothing.. I also suspect the rough idle i had months ago was just a symptom of using cheep low octane fuel. 

My head is fine. (no coolant in the exhaust or smoke), My pcv is fine. (no smoke in the dip stick, glove test)

Maybe this is just what the C70 is supposed to sound like, I don't know as I have nothing to compare it to. I have yet to pop another code but I'm not holding my breath. 

• Upvote 1

You could also be noticing something that was always there, you are just more attentive to it now.

As long as the idle is smooth, you are probably fine.

• Upvote 1

great,  when you get a full Stage 0 done,  you might see even more good performance.

I only run 93, I can't say I've not had some 87oct in it, but I can't say I saw a big difference except when giving it the beans.  Putzing around no real difference IMO.

running some seafoam is fine, but I wouldn't run it too often.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I need to learn more or have someone who knows more for me to feel comfortable working on the c70. What would be perfect is to have someone with me when I try and repair things. It would ease my worries and I'd be more inclined to attempt repairs. For now I have an appointment on Tuesday to get both my axles replaced.  I don't feel comfortable driving all winter on busted axles. $600 isn't so bad I think. its one of the more major repairs that need done. Next stop is my struts. It may just be the strut housing which is what my diagnostic said. I need a mechanic friend close by lol. Seems most people just stick with one aspect of repair work like body work then stop at that.

Thanks for the advice.

Still popping the secondary air pump code. 

Yeah, 2 axles. Idk what r/r means but its parts and labor included.  They said it would take about 3 hours. It's the same place i get my oil changed and my a/c compressor installed. The guy whos name is Norberto runs a small repair shop out of the oil change place. The only variable is they said if they replace the axles there is a chance the ball joints can break.  

I'm glad it's a good price. I was just hoping to get it done before the snow hits. If i can get my struts fixed before winter as well that would be a double positive.