Sign in to follow this  
PJv50

When CAN-bus sniffing brake system fails and engine can't turn on

Hi guys!

I am learning about CAN and the goal is to reverse engineer some CAN message so I could program some custom gages or use steering wheel buttons in a raspberry pi based infotainment system. 

So I bought a cheap knock-off ELM327 OBD reader (not knowing it was not really suitable for CAN) and did some research.  A couple days ago I installed a linux driver that turned the ELM327 into a best effort CAN device. I did some CAN sniffing/dumps (on v50 1.6D) which worked for a few minutes and then crashed. This is not my main problem, my main problem is that a few times my dash turned into a Christmas tree, I got warnings of brake failures and my engine stopt working (the only thing that I heard working was the oil pump). After opening and closing my door everything went back to how it's supposed to.

Now my question is why did this happen? Is it just because of the cheap OBD reader which interfered with the can network, is it a volvo thing?  And which device should I use for CAN sniffing? Also any reading material or tips are always welcome.

thanks in advance,

PJ

Edited by PJv50
Forgot to add my car model (v50)

On 11/19/2020 at 7:02 AM, PJv50 said:

Hi guys!

I am learning about CAN and the goal is to reverse engineer some CAN message so I could program some custom gages or use steering wheel buttons in a raspberry pi based infotainment system. 

So I bought a cheap knock-off ELM327 OBD reader (not knowing it was not really suitable for CAN) and did some research.  A couple days ago I installed a linux driver that turned the ELM327 into a best effort CAN device. I did some CAN sniffing/dumps (on v50 1.6D) which worked for a few minutes and then crashed. This is not my main problem, my main problem is that a few times my dash turned into a Christmas tree, I got warnings of brake failures and my engine stopt working (the only thing that I heard working was the oil pump). After opening and closing my door everything went back to how it's supposed to.

Now my question is why did this happen? Is it just because of the cheap OBD reader which interfered with the can network, is it a volvo thing?  And which device should I use for CAN sniffing? Also any reading material or tips are always welcome.

thanks in advance,

PJ

I'm trying a similar thing (want to control haldex) but with an arduino using a seeed canbus shield v2 and have been gathering info about this topic slowly...  From what I've read, obd port is not the best place to intercept CAN data on these cars.  On my 2004 S60R, there isn't even a CAN Hi to the obd port so you would have to manually splice into a CAN Hi wire to gain true access to the network.

I am a total noob when it comes to this subject but can offer up what I know.  Why don't you try going the arduino + canbus shield route for your can sniffing endeavor?  It's very cheap to get into so not much money lost if it doesn't work out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By CLintThePirate
      Hello all!

I'm Clint and I've been looking into buying my first Volvo. A friend of mine at work swears by them and my pa in law says I should stay away. So of course I want one . I've got $2,000 to spend and have been limiting my searches to under 180,000 miles and pre-2000 models. I live in Spartanburg SC and I'm searching all the way down to Atlanta. I found this 960 that seems to be a decent buy, but I don't want to buy a lemon. I need all the advice you have to offer!

Side note. Volvo enthusiast friend bought an 2001 S60 T5 for $1,150 and the motor blew the next day. I definitely don't want this to happen to me!

Clint
    • By Pops Racer
      I took the plunge on one of these. It is the latest and greatest revision, ARM 16 with the integral CANBUS.
      On the CANBUS harness, there are 2 identical black connectors that plug in to the HU  sockets. 
      ETA
      upon further investigation this dope discovered these connectors are keyed differently. Installation is obvious...for some people

• By Max Meade
      Hey guys!
      So recently my 1998 Volvo S70 lock began to fail on the passenger side front door. My friend was opening the door normally and it made a bit of a clunking noise, and then stopped working.
      The mechanics of what is wrong is kind of weird, I'll explain. The lock still seems to be working fine, as in the key fob still actuates the door lock pin that can manually lock the door from the inside and show whether or not the door is locked or not. The problem is, whenever the door seems to be locked or not, it can still be opened from the outside handle. I took the door apart to see if the problem was apparent, and there is definitely something that broke or at least stopped working in the actuator. If I feel around the actuator, I can even find a little thing to pull down on that disengages the passenger door handle, but as soon as the lock is re-locked, it stops working again.
      If I can avoid buying a new actuator and someone knows a fix to this problem I would be so appreciative because my Volvo has a long list of repairs that it needs right now.
      Thanks,
      Max
    • By Ghost Shadow
      So you want Dice to scan your 99 and newer volvo? You want to disable the DRL's? You want to reset the SRS light because you remove the climate control unit in you 01+ S60/V70? You want VIDA so you can know how to repair your vehicle like the pro's do but in your garage at 2:00am? You just a tool whore? You have nothing else better to do and just want to have it just in case you may need it some day?

If any of those apply to you, read on but first....

YOU WILL NOT GET NOR WILL YOU PUBLICLY POST SHARING OF COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE FROM THIS SITE!!!

You will need to get the following
      Windows XP Pro or Windows 7 Pro 32 bit. No Ultimate, No Vista, No Home, No 64 bit
      Dice scan tool found here http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/437145144-DHL-FREE-SHIPPING-Wholesale-2012-hot-sale-Volvo-Vida-Dice-2011A-professional-diagnostic-tool-Best-price-wholesalers.html
      Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0 file name msxml6.msi http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=3988
      Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition file name SQLEXPR.exe http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=21844
      PC Rquirements are 16GB of drive space, 2GB ram and some sort of fast processor. i bought this http://www.asus.com/...rformance/X54L/
      Internet Exporer 8.0 or newer

First up ordered the Dice. It came in a few days.

Installation Recipe for a sucessfull install
      Load up a virgin Win7 Pro 32bit, dowsnt have to be a clean install, just something that never had SQL and XMl stuff installed before
      ***NEW**** TURN OFF FIRE WALL AND USER Account Control Settings to OFF
      Install MSXML 6.0, what it does i dont have a clue
      Install SQL Server 2005 Express another, i have no idea WTF it does. When it installed, the setup check for required files and once it past registration the next window was feature selection. Click on the "X" for client components go down to "Entire feature will be installed on local hard drive". Click next and next and next till it installs leaving everything default. After install
      Open Microsoft SQL Sever 2005, Configuration Tools, then open SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration
      There will be two choices on the bottom Click on Services and connections
      Another window opens up and on the left it says SQL server Browser. click on it and on the right you will see start up type highlighted on disabled. change it to automatic
      Install the Vida software. I used 2011A, so i have no clue what other versions do or how they install.
      there will be three choices when you get past the computing system requirements part. If you system meets requirements then it will get you to the three choices
      choose the top choice that installs everything. if it does not error out it will take a good 15-20 minutes to install depending on your system. Go get a beer, you are almost done
      If it ask you to reboot Vida and Vida checks out. reboot
      Once it reboots, here where you need to turn off the internet connection and things get sticky. You need to read the file that came with your Vida disk, usually a read me file
      Before you do what ever the readme files tells you to do, wait for the little vida icon in the task bar to go green. You might also get a eupdate icon too, dont worry about that one.
      Once it goes green then follow the read me file.
      You back from the read me file? Click on Vida-All-IN-One
      Internet explorer will open up with Vida login. Your login info usually is in the readme file on the Vida disk you got.

Got my DRL's turned off on the 05 V70R last night as well as SUM recalibration...Those are going to be for another topic.

Got sent a laptop to try and do this. Fussing with it for 2 days and finally figured out that since it was NOT my laptop i did not change notification settings. i left it default. changed firewall to off and user account settings to off. now it loaded fine. ARRG.