850R and E30 Activities

gilber33

18 minutes ago, mojojo said:

You've got a lot of time going prepping that. I'm sure it will turn out noice.

If the garage wasn’t effectively fully furnished, I wouldn’t have spent as much time as I did prepping it. But it was totally worth the extra couple nights it took to put it all together. 

1 hour ago, RobT5M said:

Looking good man, saw your fb post. 

Lots of work but worth the effort for sure.

Thank you!

When I painted the whole car I threw up plastic sheeting along all the walls and used the entire garage (bigger project so slightly different). In between coats I would have to retreat to the house and then not sit on any furniture because I was covered in paint dust. This way I was able to spray a coat, sit down and watch the Packer game, and when it was time for another coat, walk into the booth. So just the experience itself was less stressful and more enjoyable. 

56 minutes ago, caanglin said:

Looks good. Good job on the bay. 

Thank you.

Looking forward to wrapping this up and then moving on to replacing the water pump on the engine and the input shaft seal on the transmission. 

Took advantage of Chase Bays' black friday sale and picked up an ABS delete brake line kit and a much improved over stock PS reservoir/hoses. 

286F74AE-D7BF-4614-AF82-1C54927011D9.jpeg

1 hour ago, gmsgltr said:

Think im liking the movement in that granite more ;)

I don't blame you. They're beautiful. I was trying to find the picture of the slab when we picked it out but it is buried. 

We haven't taken any good pictures of the inside of the house yet since we've moved back in. 

17 hours ago, gmsgltr said:

helluva project you did i could tell. we went with quartz on this kitchen... it wasnt my first choice but i got over it lol

It was an addition and complete renovation of the original farmhouse. Yeah, it was intense. 

Actually found the slab. 

EB891036-442A-47B3-A43F-F5CCBF4F59B3.thumb.jpeg.b65c92d0ba091aee462d813648279a8e.jpeg

Where it bumps out on both sides is the new part. The original house was only 1200sf with a kitchen, living room, kids play area, dining room on the first floor in one large space and two bedrooms and one bath upstairs. It all got reconfigured to make all the spaces more usable and SEPARATE from each other. So now we effectively have a normal sized house with appropriate size rooms, the new basement is a playroom and two more beds upstairs with the master over the carport. 

E625E698-7800-430E-9ABB-73CBB9E944C8.thumb.jpeg.99d49cd46d5df6e6020c858ca3ac36ce.jpeg

81B0B3CA-D1ED-4911-A2A1-CECF44FBEB3C.thumb.jpeg.6f5c44efc50063cc228edd097622f7c4.jpeg

F2A480EC-CA99-466F-95F3-7D877972554E.thumb.jpeg.99d08a884ac59dd3052b2979bb9c83cc.jpeg

FD057C81-7BDD-4ED5-9364-AB34A4CF0AFA.thumb.jpeg.9da3e7831ed02481a2785ce334920d77.jpeg

In the end, we got enough space for everyone, we have an awesome sized yard after buying land from our neighbor, three blocks from all the schools, and two blocks from a picturesque downtown. I got the garage and my wife got a sunroom. 

Housespeed.com

• Upvote 3

housespeed.com for sure. i love home projects of all sorts. its why i dont have time for cars anymore. 

i've enjoyed the progress shots youve posted here and on fb - love the details and breezeway design

i did a townhome, condo, and now in a pretty large single family house thats kicking my butt. the goal is to do it perhaps one more time so i can buy a nice chunk of land and build my own home :) 

• Like 1

That's what my parents did. We flipped three houses while I was in high school. And their last couple houses they bought were pretty rough but they paid cash for them and fully renovated them. 

Are you doing all of these by yourself?? It's so time consuming. I took on a few projects in ours to save money. Did all of the flooring on the 2nd floor by myself - it's just floating engineering hardwood, but still, it sucked. Did the fireplace mantel/surround. Some built-ins in the living room. Finished the new basement by myself. Yeah, takes all the time away from other things. It's fun and therapeutic for only so long, then it's anti-fun and anti-therapeutic. 

• Upvote 1

'i could eat off of that engine bay' - never cared for that comment but you actually could on yours now lol!!!

yes doing it all myself - currently have scaffolding up on two sides of the house doing sheathing fixes, air sealing, new house wrap and new windows and siding and gutters/downspouts. Lil more than halfway done the house. My dad helps me too and my wife used to on the other two places we did but with a near 3 year old and another one soon shes busy with more important things!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/20/2021 at 6:44 PM, Zappo said:

I should drive to Wisconsin so you can respray my hood and roof.  :)

lol. I mean, it's fine, but not good enough that I would spray other people's cars. 

I'm still very much learning and have lots of imperfections. Which is actually OK with me because if it was too good, then I would be afraid to drive the car. 

On 12/20/2021 at 1:02 PM, gmsgltr said:

'i could eat off of that engine bay' - never cared for that comment but you actually could on yours now lol!!!

yes doing it all myself - currently have scaffolding up on two sides of the house doing sheathing fixes, air sealing, new house wrap and new windows and siding and gutters/downspouts. Lil more than halfway done the house. My dad helps me too and my wife used to on the other two places we did but with a near 3 year old and another one soon shes busy with more important things!

Thanks!

I know how that goes. When we bought this house we did some minor stuff (floors, paint, fixtures, etc.) our oldest was only 6 months old and that meant me there on the weekends while my wife was at the apartment with the baby. That was hard. 

Then when we were doing this renovating/addition project and then we had three (4yo, 2yo, and 1yo). And that meant me going there at night after they all went to bed. We moved to an apartment about 15mins while they did the addition. So I'd drive over there at about 8pm, work for a few hours, and get home around 11 or 12. That SUCKED. House projects with kids is infinitely harder. 

Back to the car. I started some cutting and polished. Mostly to remove overspray dust. Using 3" foam pads with my pneumatic polisher and it is working great to get into all the small areas. It still needs a final buff with a paint sealant to remove the little bit of cloudiness. 

1EC3A8EF-CA75-4791-B176-DDF5A09BEF48.thumb.jpeg.9bca632e8bd37b81c86779b03bf2181b.jpeg

And added a new tool to the garage! I have a couple projects I want to tackle on the e30 that I can't find what I need to do it on the internet. So, I'm going to try to make them!

DFA0FEC1-99C8-4182-984F-C70300F98361.thumb.jpeg.53abbf9058c355ca4c45cf869be76f03.jpeg

I have a housing coming for it to be fully enclosed and for stable temps while it's printing - two things that they are apparently picky about. 

The other issue is I only have a Chromebook. Most (none of the good ones) of the modeling and slicing programs are not available for chromebook. So I will also need to pick up a laptop with Windows. 

• Upvote 2