F15 X5 and E30 Activities

gilber33

On 5/25/2022 at 8:31 AM, caanglin said:

Both cars are coming along nicely. 👍
I don't think I ever owned a P80 without a squeaky dash. 😢

21 hours ago, gilber33 said:

Thank you. 

I did one layer of fiberglass last night and I think it's going to do the trick. I'll do another layer just to be safe. 

This method worked well for me. Mine didn't crack until I did the m66 swap and removed the center support of the dash (imagine that) Worth the time to be able to hear the other potential squeaks now! 

noob question alert - yall following a thread for reference or just taking it off/apart as you go? my dash honestly isnt too bad but would love for it to be quiet. im nervous to take it all out haha

2 hours ago, apeacock said:

This method worked well for me. Mine didn't crack until I did the m66 swap and removed the center support of the dash (imagine that) Worth the time to be able to hear the other potential squeaks now! 

I checked on it this morning after the second layer cured last night and it appears to be very solid. 

1 hour ago, gmsgltr said:

noob question alert - yall following a thread for reference or just taking it off/apart as you go? my dash honestly isnt too bad but would love for it to be quiet. im nervous to take it all out haha

https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12317

I've used this guide for the few times I've replaced evaporators and keep a printed doc on hand. It's fantastic.

Things to be mindful of on the R though: the amp under the dash hvac box has a connector that you'll need to disconnect before you pull the dash. And if you dig into the HVAC box, you have to remove the amp and the brackets around it. 

I didn't remove the ignition tumbler like it says to. There's enough room to get the dash out. 

Otherwise, it's pretty easy. A shit load of torx screws, but if you're working at a uninterupted pace, it's something you could have out in a couple hours. 

• Upvote 1

Don't be a bitch. Just do it. 

I hope the R is done this weekend. In the meantime, some e30 pics from an empty parking garage this week. 

AA0B9DD7-3D16-4CF3-AAD4-8866723190B5.jpeg

7DD7F6DA-874F-405D-BEB2-3A7D81E4449B.jpeg

• Upvote 4

It's not like anyone didn't see this one coming. After some internal debates with myself and great conversation with one of my best friends who is solely responsible for my interest in cars, I've decided to scale back the time and energy I spend on cars and refocus that energy on my family.

With that said, once the 850R is done and I drive it for a bit to make sure everything is OK, I'm going to list it for sale. I bought the car to fill a gap when the e30 was being worked on long term and I only had the XC70. It did its job and now it doesn't serve the same purpose for me. 

If you're interested or know anyone who might be interested, let me know. The bottom line is this car won't win any concourse awards, but nor should it. It's a driver that is in great shape, mechanically ready to go anywhere, and looks good doing it. Will also come with a set of OEM roof racks. I drove this last winter and on the coldest days it always started without hesitation.

01D784CA-58A8-4E29-8E49-51C18EC9670A.thumb.jpeg.e89b560837b50b94a113878453d18228.jpeg

A run down of the maintenance I've done to it: 

• Koni Strt shocks/struts
  • Meyle HD control arms, ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, strut mounts, and spring seats
  • Front and rear engine mounts, transmission torque mount, right side engine mount, IPD poly upper torque bushing, and firewall mount. 
  • New vacuum lines
  • Rebuilt 15G turbo with new CBV
  • New air filter
  • IPD subframe bushing inserts
  • New catback exhaust with suitcase muffler. No exhaust leaks and it's very quiet (in a good way, I think)
  • Trunk struts
  • Bosch ignition coil
  • Bosch distributor cap and rotor
  • New Bosch Copper spark plugs
  • New battery
  • Serpentine Belt
  • OEM firewall heater hose pass through
  • IPD/do88 silicone heater hoses
  • OEM coolant hoses
  • Intercooler hoses
  • GROM blue tooth module
  • New wiper blades
  • Curt trailer hitch, Euro ball, and wiring.
  • Rear trailing arm delta links

The previous completed the following shortly before the sale (within a few hundred miles): 

• Volvo OEM PCV system
  • Alternator
  • Starter
  • Timing belt kit and water pump
  • 302 brake rotors with rebuilt calipers and Bosch pads
  • Front SS brake lines
  • Radiator
  • Cam Seals
  • Heater Core (can confirm it looked very new)
  • Coolant reservoir
  • Cabin filter (it's clean)
  • Front fender lines
  • Serpentine Belt Tensioner
  • Odometer gear
  • New (used) ABS controller
  • Volan wheels refinished (full Volan spare)

Previous previous owner installed a strut bar, had the windows tinted, fuel pump, rear trailing arm bushings . It was also repainted at one point in its life. But they did a great job. There are no runs and when it's actually clean it looks fantastic.

The carfax lists three accidents in its life: something from the rear (this was in 1998, so there's no info), a PS sideswipe (2005), and DS sideswap (2021). The DS sideswipe is when the lady rubbed her tires on the car that I had posted. Notes in the carfax say that airbags didn't deploy with any of the accidents. I've had the car on the lift and it pretty well taken apart and there's no evidence of anything to the frame. Still has original stickers and undercoating and everything.

The not so greats: 

• Little bit of rust on the bottom of the trunk lid where it meets the bumper. I've had it on all three of my 850s. 
  • Sunroof closes a little wonky sometimes and during HEAVY rains I've seen a couple drips coming in throuh the DS pillar - this is likely the drain tube has a small leak. 
  • The headlight wiper motors are disconnected. Don't know why, they just are.
  • The DS seat has some wear. There aren't any rips, but the leather has some cracks. But the suede is in great shape. The other seats look great.
  • Small dent in the rear PS door that could be removed with PDR. 
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, mojojo said:

When wife and kids come into the conversation, more than one tinkering car is too many.

Car looks good though - should sell quick.

Yeaaahh. And it’s not that I don’t have the physical time to do it since I go in the garage at night when everyone is in bed, but I found it taking up too much of my mental space. Times when I should be present but find myself thinking about what I need to do, order, etc. I’m ready to cool it for a bit. 

• Upvote 2

I hear ya' loud and clear.

The photos of the house look great (I'm usually thinking about something on mine)! Take a step back, enjoy the fam, and something else will come your way.

...it's too bad cause I was hoping you'd design us an 850 retrofit kit. lol My 3dp experience is growing recently, so maybe i'll give it a try at somepoint in the future. My volvo is a lot like your BMW - it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 1

I got the e30 which is good for periodic tinkering if I feel like it - it's the big projects I'm over for a while. 

Have at it with the 850 lights! They're not designed in a way to make a "plug and play" retrofit kit really possible because you're going to have to cut up the housing in someway. I've seen some where people mount the projector in there, but personally they always look super awkward. There has to be a better way to integrate the projector into the headlight better. Idk. Good luck though!

• Upvote 1

hear ya on the projects/family too. i can go on and on about this subject... i like what you said, "but I found it taking up too much of my mental space. Times when I should be present but find myself thinking about what I need to do, order, etc. I’m ready to cool it for a bit."

this is exactly why im making a big push on my R at the moment...  too many projects (mostly the house) but I have caught myself this last year really yearning for some of that head space back 

1 hour ago, mojojo said:

We all know once that 'free' head space is available, something else will fill it. Never fails. 😄

You’re not wrong. I’m all for hanging out in the garage after everyone’s gone to bed, but it would be fantastic to go out there and clean the car and not get super gross. 

On 5/31/2022 at 10:13 AM, gilber33 said:

With that said, once the 850R is done and I drive it for a bit to make sure everything is OK, I'm going to list it for sale.

Ball park price? Feel free to PM. 

10 hours ago, caanglin said:

Ball park price? Feel free to PM. 

I’m going to list it at $7,900. There aren’t any comps right now. The old ones I found were a little bit less for some that had significant issues and super clean ones for quite a bit more. I figure this may not be the garage queen that some purists are looking for, but it's a well sorted 850R that's ready to be driven and enjoyed. 

At the shop today for a four wheel alignment and charging the AC. It’s dirty, but man was it a quiet ride on the way to work. 

2C4A21CA-0D75-496F-8D2C-2120EDC9B629.thumb.jpeg.e5059e1282f3e998e3ce623e4b5a4c4f.jpeg

AB1FF74B-8F9F-4BE7-BBF3-89FCD146DB81.thumb.jpeg.f8bd8a51fcb9091f717cefaffc5010dd.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• gilber33 changed the title to XXXXXXX and E30 Activities
  • gilber33 changed the title to F15 X5 and E30 Activities