Serpentine belt squeaking on idle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 4:44 AM, Mercury_127 said:

Bough 98 S70 few weeks ago and my Serpentine belt started squeaking on idle about a week ago. Does it mean its time for a change or does it mean that something more serious is happening?

have owned the V70 and S70 line of vehicles for many years. My 1998 S70 T5 is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned. After owning one, and wanting a second T5, I drove over 400 miles, round trip to pick up another one. These cars are built exceptionally well. I have never had one leave me stranded. Every vehicle requires maintenance and an occasional part. 

On 9/5/2021 at 7:44 AM, Mercury_127 said:

Bough 98 S70 few weeks ago and my Serpentine belt started squeaking on idle about a week ago. Does it mean its time for a change or does it mean that something more serious is happening?

Visually inspect the belt, it could also be an accessory pulley or the tensioner squeaking.

Pop the hood, turn the car on, and see if you can locate where the noise is originating from.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By James A Sousa
      New serpentine belts made of ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) do not crack like belts made before 2000 made of neoprene, and they can last much longer.

They do wear out however.

Visit Gates belts website - www.gatesbeltwear.com to see a discussion and get a free gauge.

They offer a free app or a free mechanical gauge.
    • By 850_GLT_owner
      First sound is somewhat straight forward. I hear it coming from the serpentine belt area. The tensioner moves a little, like rattling in place(not the sound). The sound sounds like a dull whine/whirr. Happens when cold and warm. My guess is that bearings are going somewhere. The belt was replaced a year ago, belt looks rather worn. I don't think I could have put it on too tight since the tensioner does it automatically.

Second issue is harder to diagnose and worries me a little more. When I start my car and drive, I hear a sound coming from below my feet on the drivers side. It's accompanied by a corresponding feeling on the floor. It is a very dull grind/very dull scraping sound,and can feel it in my feet(slight vibration). Could this be a problem with my transmission? What can I look for? My ABS/Tracs light is on, and I had the drivers side axle replaced a few months ago. The noise is much less noticible than the sound of bad CV joint. I only notice it when I start the car, feels like its connected to my accelerating.

I don't think i can post a video of the sound as it's very subtle, but I can try.