v70R headlamp ballast


YV1LW

Recommended Posts

Trying to understand the operation and location of the headlamp ballast system on a 1998 V70R.

Location: Where is each front headlamp ballast located? Does the ballast supply power to more than one bulb? To remove/replace a ballast, is removal of the bumper cover required?

Function: The ballast in a Fluorescent lamp uses the ballast to increase the voltage and control the current for the lamp. Is the automotive ballast function similar, except there must be some conversion of DC to AC to enable an increase in voltage for bulb excitation? Is this a correct understanding of automotive ballast?

Thanks for all replies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, YV1LW said:

Trying to understand the operation and location of the headlamp ballast system on a 1998 V70R.

Location: Where is each front headlamp ballast located? Does the ballast supply power to more than one bulb? To remove/replace a ballast, is removal of the bumper cover required?

Function: The ballast in a Fluorescent lamp uses the ballast to increase the voltage and control the current for the lamp. Is the automotive ballast function similar, except there must be some conversion of DC to AC to enable an increase in voltage for bulb excitation? Is this a correct understanding of automotive ballast?

Thanks for all replies.

You wont have a ballast on a 98. 

It will be a standard halogen bulb.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@robt5m

Thanx for the reply. I thought I had a reasonable solution to a problem that is very perplexing. And a humming ballast seemed to be the answer. But if there aren't any, then I'm still lost as to what to look for.

Have a moderately loud hum coming from the right front engine compartment; sounds like it comes from the headlight area. It will change tone slightly when there is a change in the load on the electrical system. This hum is evident whether the vehicle is running or the key is just in position I or any position that connects the battery to the system.

It's not the alternator as the hum is present when the alternator is not operating and if it was the excitation current in the altenator, the hum does not come from the alternator - it's forward of the alternator.

What "stuff" hangs out near the right front headlamp area?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, YV1LW said:

@robt5m

Thanx for the reply. I thought I had a reasonable solution to a problem that is very perplexing. And a humming ballast seemed to be the answer. But if there aren't any, then I'm still lost as to what to look for.

Have a moderately loud hum coming from the right front engine compartment; sounds like it comes from the headlight area. It will change tone slightly when there is a change in the load on the electrical system. This hum is evident whether the vehicle is running or the key is just in position I or any position that connects the battery to the system.

It's not the alternator as the hum is present when the alternator is not operating and if it was the excitation current in the altenator, the hum does not come from the alternator - it's forward of the alternator.

What "stuff" hangs out near the right front headlamp area?

 

9 minutes ago, Zappo said:

Do you have headlight wipers?

 

^  Well that does.

 

Can you post a photo of your vehicle?   Front end / engine bay? 

You could also possibly have aftermarket HID's in there that a previous owner has put in.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Zappo

Headlight wipers? Yes. I don't know if they work. On my to-do was install new arms & blades, fix the hoses so the washer tank would hold fluid. Going out to see if the motors will operate when the washer pump runs. Report back shortly.

Left headlight wiper works normally - Right wiper won't do squat. Tried twisting and wiggling but it's not moving. Frequency of the noise changes when I try and move the shaft. So I pulled a few connectors and found one that stopped the hum. Guess I need to put a headlight wiper motor on the get-list.

I guess replacing it will involve bumper cover removal?????

Two tips o'the cap to @zappo.

Shhheezzee; simple stuff can be so maddening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2021 at 4:04 PM, YV1LW said:

@Zappo

Headlight wipers? Yes. I don't know if they work. On my to-do was install new arms & blades, fix the hoses so the washer tank would hold fluid. Going out to see if the motors will operate when the washer pump runs. Report back shortly.

Left headlight wiper works normally - Right wiper won't do squat. Tried twisting and wiggling but it's not moving. Frequency of the noise changes when I try and move the shaft. So I pulled a few connectors and found one that stopped the hum. Guess I need to put a headlight wiper motor on the get-list.

I guess replacing it will involve bumper cover removal?????

Two tips o'the cap to @zappo.

Shhheezzee; simple stuff can be so maddening.

It usually is lol.

 

I can't really recall if you have to remove the bumper or just the headlamp, I haven't had a need to remove my bumper in quite some time so unfortunately I do not recall.
Luckily the bumpers are so easy to remove.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2021 at 4:04 PM, YV1LW said:

Guess I need to put a headlight wiper motor on the get-list.

Honestly I wouldn't bother; they're kind of worthless in most people's opinion.  I'd just unplug them and forget it.

I removed mine on the 850 but it's been so long ago I don't recall the process.  I don't know if the S70 '98 is exactly the same or similar, but I do remember the 850's were a royal PITA to remove.   Don't want to even imagine putting new ones in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To the OP.

I'm picking my s70 up from the paint shop today and ill likely have the bumper off this weekend, so if I do id be happy to make a little video/write up on how to take the motors out as I think I will be removing mine finally.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.