Walbro Retrofit How Too

Guest DougK

You'll need a torx 20 driver, needle nose pliers and a set of wire cutters (to cut fuel hose)

Getting the actual pump assembly is covered so Im not going to do that.

Once its out though, you should have this:

48918234.jpg

You can see the wiring below

48918235.jpg

Using needle nose pliers (if you have fat fingers like mine) you can unhook the wiring

Next remove this hose clamp

48918236.jpg

Now, you should be able to slide/wiggle/wrestle the pump out the bottom and end up with this

48918242.jpg

Now put the pumps side by side. The new Walbro is a bit shorter

48918243.jpg

48918246.jpg

Cut the new hose to equal length.. probably be wise to make it about 1/4" longer.

One thing I did was to take a red sharpie to highlight which side is the + side. The markings are pretty hard to read, I figured they'd be very tough to see once burried inside the OEM housing.

48918244.jpg

Now mine came with some goofy foam cover for the pump. I used it.

Now the OEM pump has a spring type thing over it, I didn't reuse it. It doesn't fit the new pump very well. I found that if you use the foam piece included, that and the rubber spacer at the bottom of the housing the pump stays secured just fine.

48918245.jpg

48918245.jpg

Last, install the new pickup filter. You should end up with this!

48918248.jpg

Now put that pump back in there and enjoy your 200 dollar savings.

(free'd up some money to renew my pbase account. I suggest someone save these pictures for when Im broke and pbase gets mad again.)

What model Walbro is that?

Also, All the Walbros I have used in the past (at least the 255lph ones) whined soooo loud. Is this one any better? by the way that's what the foam thing is for. TOO recommends a rubber plumbing coupling from the hardware store to absorb the whine and vibration, but the foam will work better IMO.

Came from some volvo place on the net. I'll try to dig up the link, I found it on this forum. Its not a 255, but the 255 walbro's instructions should be the same.

This one was quiter than the pump that was on the way out.

My 255 in my 242 was pretty loud, I found though it was shoved against the floor of the gas tank. I moved it up a 1/4" and it was very quiet after that.

Came from some volvo place on the net. I'll try to dig up the link, I found it on this forum. Its not a 255, but the 255 walbro's instructions should be the same.

This one was quiter than the pump that was on the way out.

My 255 in my 242 was pretty loud, I found though it was shoved against the floor of the gas tank. I moved it up a 1/4" and it was very quiet after that.

Sounds like the 190lph pump. The 255 pump is considerably louder.

Also, do you have a wagon or sedan? I would think it would be louder in a wagon...

TOO recommends a rubber plumbing coupling from the hardware store to absorb the whine and vibration, but the foam will work better IMO.

Are you referring to The Old One / Endyn? Any idea what happened to their board?

/threadjack

Doug, you do the best documentation of things you do to your car of almost anyone in the community, glad you keep such a good record :)

Sounds like the 190lph pump. The 255 pump is considerably louder.

Also, do you have a wagon or sedan? I would think it would be louder in a wagon...

this is in T's wagon. Im sure its the 190. Its not to loud, not so loud the stereo wont cover it up w/out issue ;)

Thanks Johann! I need to do the 255 in my R soon ;)

My Walbro 255 lph pump is pretty quiet, you have to try pretty hard to hear it at all.

Thats in my Wagon without any sort of foam insulator. Just the spring on top and the rubber grommet on bottom.

One additional word of advice to anybody replacing fuel pumps...Be very careful when pushing back on the fuel line fittings on top of the pump assembly. The lines are tight and don't allow much side play. Those two pipes are fairly sharp on top. Inside the couplers are two o-rings. You do the math... Basically, just be sure things are squared up before pushing it down and seating it all the way.

You'll know that you tore an o-ring or two as soon as you start the engine and lots of fuel gets pumped out onto the ground. Luckily there is a drain hole so the cabin doesn't fill up with fuel. Replacing those two o-rings is very tricky but doable.

Not that I know this or anything :)

• 7 months later...

well i said screw it and just did it on my own...

it was pretty simple.. disconnect the fuel pump realy, let the car run till it dies to relive the presure in hte lines. disconnect the battery. unplug the rest of the wires. unscrew the black plastic ring. pull the sleve out. pry the inner sleve out. disconnect the wires to the fuel pump. undo the clamps to the rubber line to the fuel pump. remove the stock fuel pump.. on mine.. the New wlbro pump was a little bigger then the stock one so i had to dremal out the inner sleve to fit the bigger pump.. and then you attach the fuel filter but you also need to dremal the bottom part so that the fuel filter fits on all the way.. now clean it off and add the new rubber line with new clamp. have to cut the wires and butt connect the new connection. connect the wires and install the other part of the rubber hose. and then snap together the sleve and inner sleve back together.. carfully put back in the take. screw the black ring back on. connect the lines. connect the wires. and button everything back up

this is a great perfromince gain!! noticed a differince right away!!!

yay

screw doug !

i even called doug and he wouldnt answer! nor did he call me back yet...

if you need help doing this you can call ME anytime....

206-919-5975

Archived