Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beachnut

Running Shoes

Well, not only am I getting old ... I'm getting fat too :( I could stand to lose about 15 pounds, currently at 170, 5'8". Soooo, I've decided to take up running again. I always ran during high school (x-country) and for a while in my late 20's when I did a few triathlons, but it's been a solid 12 years since I hit the bricks and I know that running shoes have changed a lot in that time. Any suggestions on what brand/model seems to work best for you? Comfort is my #1 goal.

I've been using Asics GT-2100's for about 8 months now and absolutely love them. I could use a little bit more cushion but as far as durability / support / traction, they are really quite good. Link

I need to lose some weight over break as well. I've put on about 17 lbs since I've gotten to school, granted I started lifting about 3 months ago, so a lot of that is muscle... I go about 6/7 days a week as well as I run a 5k every day. I've been thinking about going back onto a tuna, cottage cheese and crackers diet so I can slim down a little bit though.

you need to find out how you run...in terms of "pronation"

the right type of shoe makes an incredible difference...

www.coolrunning.com has a pretty active forum

yep, figure out how your foot moves (pronates, as Travis said). Asics & New Balance make a wide range of models that cover just about every type of pronator.

I have loved every pair of Asics running shoes I've had (GT series) and I've had at least 6 pairs, all of different model #s). My New Balance 951 that I have right now are ok, but are not nearly as comfortable as any of my Asics shoes. Also, these 951s really don't have the pronation control (seeing as how I'm an overpronator, used to have orthotics, and am well over 200lbs).

I can't wear New Balance or Nike. The New Balance are all built about the same and just hurt my feet, i think they're wide enough but not long enough and they're generally hard and stiff compared to like, Brooks. Nike is just too narrow every shoe just too narrow.

If you're getting old, and even if you're not, consider biking instead of running. Or one of the many stationary excercise machines now available.

Running is very hard on your structure because of the high impact involved.

a few have mentioned this before but you need to base your shoes on 3 things

1. Pronation - How much your foot turns when you bring your foot to the ground, you roll the foot on the other side of your body to keep balanced (this should really be judged by a person at a good running store, not Dicks or Sports Authority) They will give you a shoe with a certain sole, Cushion for low pronation, Cusion + Grey Foam on the center of the arch for medium, and Cusion with Grey from the front of the arch to the heal. Depending on your pronation and arch, you will also be recomended for the different types of Gel.

2. Arch of your foot - High Medium Or Low will change the design and or maker of the shoe.

3. Comfort - Once the other 2 have been taken care of, you will be fitted for a wide or narrow show and whichever feels right is for you

Personally I have High Pronation with non visible gel in the heal of the sole , Low arch, narrow foot. I use the Asics DS Trainers. I would highly suggest going to a place that isn't main stream and asking them if they know what pronation is and if they fit for it. You can tell they its a hardcore running store by mostly skinny inshape younger males wearing a lot of running gear and if the store is filled with brands like Brooks, Asics, New Balance, and some Nikes. Those are good brands. I'm a crazy runner and learned all this from running camp this past year. If you live on the east coast near Philly, I can suggest some great spots. If not, just ask around your town and I'm Sure youll find it.

Hope this helps

PS - To avoid injury, replace your shoes NO MORE than 400 miles, start integrating your new shoes at about 250-350, alternating shoes everyday, so your knees don't go through too much. I have osgood-schlatters, chondramalacia, and IT band problems; trust me, i know justa bout everything about saving your knees

This replacing shoes things sucks, but i run on average 50 miles a week (8-10 a day) and it will put major strain on your bones, tendons, and muscles. Doing this, especially with age is something very crucial.

(i cant wait to start training in Febuary for my next XC season in september)

If you're getting old, and even if you're not, consider biking instead of running. Or one of the many stationary excercise machines now available.

Running is very hard on your structure because of the high impact involved.

But also builds bone density which biking will not.... well not to the same degree. Usually your heart of brain will go out way before your hip so I figure screw it. Abuse everything thats overbuilt.