Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zulu

Products/companies To Not Buy From.

Well, after I finished ranting about SSAutochrome on a Nissan site I figured it might not be a bad idea to have a pinned thread in performance for products & companies that should not be used & why. Please, first-hand knowledge or evidence (preferably linked). This doesn't necessarily have to apply to Volvo products/companies as many of us drive & mod other cars.

SSAutochromeAKA Stone Mountain Performance (I believe), Master Power, XSpower.

-Having put a Stone Mountain Racing 38mm wastegate on a newly turboed 240SX KA...found to be a leaky POS that started to come apart/loose within a few hundred miles of driving, and consequently, leak some more.

-I have a TurboXS "t3/t4" super t70 sitting in my garage...having measured the inducer & exducer we're looking at a 76mm in & 84mm out. wtf? Mismarked beyond belief. The shaft play on the thing is ridiculous (have also heard this from numerous other owners) and based on flow checks done by others & SSAC themselves their turbos are flowing maybe HALF of what a decent turbo that size should flow. Also, I talked to the Garrett representative down here about them...and wow, he ranted. Apparently he's had about 13 of those turbos come into his shop for rebuilds as they just basically fall apart & spew oil. He explains that they're unfixable because they're weird knockoffs of Garrett, HKS, etc. I've never talked to someone with such disdain for a product. And to top all that, they have, I believe, 9 lawsuits against them for copyright infringement by Garrett, Greddy, HKS, and Turbonetics.

-Heard all the horror stories about the SSAC manifolds...they're beautifully polished tubular manifolds that manage to crack within sometimes a few hundred miles. Come right off at the flange, even with bracing.

Basically, everything they make is beyond sub-standard and not worth the money. YOU CAN make power cheap with their products, but it won't last you very long and chances are you'll poke something up and cost yourself more. In the end, spend more money to make more power, safer, longer.

I have seen alot of people running XSPower intercoolers in various cars without a single problem in thousands of miles. Other then that I have heard lots of bad things about the company. Also the problems with the manifolds stems from the fact that the tubing used is extremely thin!

If they messed up an intercooler...good god...

Guest Hank Scorpio

compressor housings that are glued together and manifolds made from paper just about.

ya... its crap.

I bought it on the uber cheap, realized turboXS = SSAC...kept it to sell to a n00b. should be easy enough once I put in the effort.

I was looking for this thread to become more of a help thread where it would get pinned and people would just add their experiences with other products and companies. It'd be for everyone's benefit.

I was looking for this thread to become more of a help thread where it would get pinned and people would just add their experiences with other products and companies. It'd be for everyone's benefit.

SvR.

You always get what you pay for.

by the way, no cars at D1GP were KA-T. ;)