Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Denroll

Treating The Wheels

What's your trick or secret? I've heard of using wax and even using some spray on anti-static fabric softener to keep crap from sticking. I'm about to buy my first new set of wheels and I want to keep them looking nice.

What's your trick or secret? I've heard of using wax and even using some spray on anti-static fabric softener to keep crap from sticking. I'm about to buy my first new set of wheels and I want to keep them looking nice.

Never had the dust problem bad enough to worry about it before. With these new brakes, my wheels are dirty after 2 days, so I would be interested in seeing what works, or at least helps.

Wax your rims. It helps a lot, but wont eliminate the problem.

Wax works the best. Michelin has a spray on product which is supposed to keep brake dust off, but it doesn't do much. With wax on your wheels, they are easier to wipe dust off.

what exactly is waxing?

-jaxx@school

Hmmmm...lemme think about that one.

A friend of mine swore by Pam in the spray bottle. The cooking spray. Maybe you could give that a try. I never did just because if you clean your wheel often you don't need fancy stuff. Just good old soap and water.

They also sell teflon sprays that are designed to keep brake dust off. I have seen them at the auto parts store. I was thinking about selling fresh air in a can. Not just plain air, but purified air. Like bottled water. Put it next to the air fresheners in the auto parts store and people would keep a can in their glove box so when one of their passengers farts or smells funky or your wife wears too much perfume, you just crack open the can of air and breathe it for a little bit until the stink is gone. I think it would sell well along with the teflon spray for brake dust...

This is the one time where spray wax is the sh##. clean the wheel with soap and water, claybar out any junk that worked its way into the paint (important :excl: ) Wax 2x with a good spray wax like Meguiar's or Mother's. I've tried the nice liquid wax like NXT but I've found that if your wheel has raised lettering of any kind, the wax builds up FAST. Same thing if you have "mesh" wheels or split spokes - gets stuck in crevices and looks nasty (like the door edges when you do a bad wax job).

Hmmmm...lemme think about that one.

A friend of mine swore by Pam in the spray bottle. The cooking spray. Maybe you could give that a try. I never did just because if you clean your wheel often you don't need fancy stuff. Just good old soap and water.

They also sell teflon sprays that are designed to keep brake dust off. I have seen them at the auto parts store. I was thinking about selling fresh air in a can. Not just plain air, but purified air. Like bottled water. Put it next to the air fresheners in the auto parts store and people would keep a can in their glove box so when one of their passengers farts or smells funky or your wife wears too much perfume, you just crack open the can of air and breathe it for a little bit until the stink is gone. I think it would sell well along with the teflon spray for brake dust...

I'll take a case!

I'll take a case!

haha!

Actually, ever seen the Mel Brooks movie Space Balls? Had John Candy in it...