Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gaff

Help - V70 Died This Morning

My V70GLT died (or kind of passed out) this morning.

The conditions: I'm in Seattle, so it was 34F, clear and dry at 7 am. The car had been sitting on the street all night and had just been warming up for 10 min. Still frost on the windows. I drove about a mile and was idling in a parking lot with the heater going full blast and lights, seat heater, defroster and radio on. I noticed it was idling a bit low (I figured the electrical load was responsible), so I gently gunned it to 2000 and shortly after the engine cut off. Now it cranks strong, but won't start, even with all the electric stuff off. No smells, leaks, or parts on the ground. No unusual dash lights. Nothing obvious. The car is facing slightly uphill and has a 2/3 full tank of premium gas.

Any suggestions to try before I call a tow truck?

Thanks.

Matthew

1998 V70 GLT, stock

68,500 miles

Seattle, WA, USA

Darn..

where in seattle?

can you leave the car there, and I'll get the NWC to come look at it tomorrow/tonight after work?

I'm in Ravenna. I thought maybe it was something easy I could do on the spot. Thanks for the offer, but I need it back ASAP and Larry at Daisywagen has an opening today. They're at 54th and Roosevelt, which is only a mile away from the car.

--Matthew

Sounds like the Mass Air Flow Sensor. With all the electrial load it could have burned out. Without sensing airflow the ECU will not let any fuel get to the injectors. It happened to my 98 V70XC AWD, but it would sometimes start but mostly not, when it did as soon as I tried to accelerate it will fall flat and die. Let us know.

Sounds like the Mass Air Flow Sensor. With all the electrial load it could have burned out. Without sensing airflow the ECU will not let any fuel get to the injectors. It happened to my 98 V70XC AWD, but it would sometimes start but mostly not, when it did as soon as I tried to accelerate it will fall flat and die. Let us know.

How much $$ was yours? I'm bracing myself...

--Matthew

How much $$ was yours? I'm bracing myself...

--Matthew

50 bucks used on ebay. :)

ps - i live on eastlake..

come to some of the NWC's meets! where you been?

50 bucks used on ebay. :)

ps - i live on eastlake..

come to some of the NWC's meets! where you been?

Just moved from Boston. Put me on the email list. marzynski@gmail.com

What should I expect a shop like Daisywagen to charge for a MAS (if that's indeed the problem). Don't have time to do this myself or shop eBay...

Thanks.

Matthew

Just moved from Boston. Put me on the email list. marzynski@gmail.com

What should I expect a shop like Daisywagen to charge for a MAS (if that's indeed the problem). Don't have time to do this myself or shop eBay...

Thanks.

Matthew

A new MAF sensor from Bob Beyers (Ravenna Volvo), isnt going to be cheap, if that is the problem.

you could go buy a used MAF from Aurora Wrecking (any maf from 94-98 volvo, 850 70 series) will work.

i think they charged jake 75 bucks?