Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pasat

2005 S 40 T5 Awd

Hello ,

As you can see i am new on the forum and haven't had the time to read all the threads and topics and if this subject has already been discussed i appologise .

I own a volvo s 40 from 2005 , T5 AWD . The car is mainly stock , beside a k&n replacement filter and a ECU remap . I will try to attach a couple of pictures .

I want to change the turbo and a found something but i wanted to ask arround here as you all are volvo owners and have been modifying them for a while now. The turbo is a mitsubishi TD04HL - 15G (18T), the price i'm getting it is 560 euro + VTA , is it much , is it worth it ? does the turbo fit , does it need adjustments , do i have to change the exhaust ?

The guys i'm getting it from told me the turbo is for 350 bhp ; i'm gonna get the soft and an intercooler kit ; beside that , am i going to need anything else ?

Thanx a lot !

hmmmm, as i have heard that the turbo is integrated. Thus you would have some fab work todo/problems upgrading the turbo and also a very small area to work with

Fineprint: "dont listen to me b/c i have not a ffffin clue what i am talking about nor should you have even read what i just posted b/c i also wasted your time and bandwidth"

is it a 18T or a 15G? the two are very different sizes. I don't know much about the 05' S40's. As for fitting, i'm not sure.

You're not going to get a big gain by just replacing the turbo tho, you're going to need to re-map again to get its full potential.

good luck. you will need to fabricate a new custom manifold first.

if you do, you will be the first guy i know whos managed to get a new turbo in outside of evolve and their show car.

if you do get a manifold, then you should be able to fit on the usual turbos that go on the Rs. i know some people have used garrett. im not familiar with the mitsubishi one. have you checked the compression maps for compatibility?

Why are you changing the turbo anyway? You said that you don't have an exhaust, dpipe, freeflow cat ?First max out the turbo then upgrade, because you still might not have the mods right now to really even make good use of the new turbo. Unless you got money to burn, try doing things in steps so that you would be able to realize the gains from each mod and to overcome problems as they occur. :P

yea thers quite a bit of power you can still squeeze from the stock turbo, and you can push it up to around 15-16 psi.

in my experience, friends who have changed turbos have had the most problems than those that just added bolt ons.

they told me the turbo will fit with minor mods , they didn't mention the manifold . as for another turbo on s 40 , try http://www.heicosportiv.de/mainframe.asp?lang=gb&e1=229 and see the eseen motor show car that heico pulled out the pocket

anyway , i cannot gain much more power from the exhaust and i was looking for a turbo upgrade as i have someone to do my re-map .

the turbo i have on the car is low pressure turbo and won't last too long running 15-16 psi . what other bolt ons do you refer to ?

the turbo i have on the car is low pressure turbo and won't last too long running 15-16 psi . what other bolt ons do you refer to ?

then you have the LPT ENGINE too?

bolt-ons for the win!

intake

down pipe

Full 2.5" or 3" exhaust w/ high flow cat

re-map to like 15 psi. who cares if it blows you are putting on a new one anyways right.

injectors - althouh your stock may be capable of 350hp or so

there will be others to chime in on this but i would say get everything ready for the bigger turbo before you install it. because with a bigger turbo you will need the things listed above anyhow.

i am a member of insomniaracing club here , (insomniaracing.org ), here are some photos of the car .

Races here take place considering stock power , so i am in the 200-250 bhp . Now i have a big problem in the group , a subaru imprea WRX with prodrive kit and exhaust , so i have to do more than a downpipe and intake , that's why i was heading for a bigger turbo

baneasa072.jpg

baneasa084.jpg

ban121.jpg

PICT0482.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

Image001.jpg

1214.jpg

1212.jpg

Image034.jpg