Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nmikmik

Abs And Trac. Off Lights On, Now What?

I know it's a problem, but before I take it to the dealer…. What can I do/expect?

I tried to pass smog on my 96 850 GLT wgn., it needed to go through the self check, which I did, but as soon as it went thought the self check ABS light and the Traction OFF light came on and stays on. Where can/should I look first? Sensors at the wheels, ABS control unit? Fuses? I have ODB II reader but it does not read the ABS codes, neither does my mechanic's ODB II, so now what. Will take/look at any suggestions :monkey:

Thanks,

I'm not familiar with all the smog tests for other states other than California. Keep this in mind.

In CA, the car is smog tested on a dyno to simulate a load on the engine a different speeds. The front wheels are turning, the rear wheels are not.

During the test, the TRACS portion of the ABS goes haywire trying to figure out why the front wheels are doing 25 MPH and the rear ones are at 0 MPH. At this point the system shuts itself down and the ABS and TRACS lights come on.

After the testing is done, turn the engine off.

Start the car, drive away and when the speed reaches 12 MPH the system will perform a self test. If everything is OK, the lights will turn off. If there is a problem in the system, the lights will stay ON.

Now the next part. If you still have the original ABS unit, there is a very good chance that it has failed (assuming nothing else has changed).

All the ABS control units (Installed on 96 and newer 850, 70 series and S80 models) will eventually fail after they reach 65,000 miles or 5 years. The average is 85,000 miles and/or 6 years for failures.

The erratic ABS light and/or no trouble codes is an indication of a defective ABS unit.

A dealer will charge from $60.0 to $120.00 to diagnose the problem and about 95% of the cases the mechanic will recommend to replace the ABS control unit.

Here's more information on this issue and a replacement alternative.

Volvospeed link Vitor's Volvo ABS website

Guest Guest_Nmikmik_*

Thanks !

Hmmm, I do live in CA also... and I drove lots more then 12mph. light is still on. Where do I look first though?

thanks,

I have the same problem.

1) when i did our emissions test here the light came on, but went off quickly after the test

2) did a handbrake turn and powered out (locked rear wheels, spinning fronts) and since then the lights have not gone off.

From what i understand in speaking with my mechanic, it's just a couple solder points inside the module that need to be repaired. I haven't gotten a quote from the local guy that does it, but i'm thinking it's going to cost me $80cdn!?

I have NEVER had the ABS light come on for an emissions test. Of course, my traction control has never worked, so maybe that is why. However, that light doesn't have anything to do with emissions, so it shouldn't be a problem to pass. It isn't like ABS is required. The tracs light doesn't though a CEL, so when they are plugged into the car, the computer won't tell them there is anything wrong.

I had the same problem last month, it was the ABS Module.

FYI - 1998 c70, 85,000 miles.

Funny this comes up. I was driving in a straight line going 45mph. There was this little buzz like sound that sounded like it came from the driverside close to me. I look down at the dash and the ABS and TRACS lights are both on. Next time I turned the car off they went away. Sounds like it is about time to replace the ABS modular (96,000 miles).

Dumb question if I send it in to this vitor guy can I still drive my car? (yes I know i would have no ABS and some idiot lights on)

Hmmm..I guess the ABS issue effects the S70/V70 series too huh.

Your ABS and Trac should not stop you from passing emission. It is just a warning light for your sake. You should be able to use paper clips to pull the codes...

The traction control on the Volvo is kinda crappy. I have never been able to get mine to work properly. My old 96 can spin tires all day long, yet the TRACS light is not on. I also find it hard to spin the wheels with awd on my XC

Yes, it affects our S70's. I have a '98 and last year my ABS light started coming on at start-up and then would go off....this went on for weeks until it just stayed on. Sent it to Victor for rebuilding and it's been working fine ever since. For $140 (including shipping), I took my ABS unit out one evening on a Monday, sent it off and had it back in my car by Thursday night....very quick turn around! I highly recommend Victor Rocha!

Dumb question if I send it in to this vitor guy can I still drive my car? (yes I know i would have no ABS and some idiot lights on)

Not a dumb question. Yes, you can still drive the car, but your speedo won't work. The tracs and ABS lights will be on, but that should be all. As long as you can get away without needing to use the speedometer, you will be fine.

I had just passed smog in CA with my ABS light on. It does not bother the tech. Besides, when put on a dyno, some cars will have the abs/trac light on even they are normal.

I know it's a problem, but before I take it to the dealer…. What can I do/expect?

I tried to pass smog on my 96 850 GLT wgn., it needed to go through the self check, which I did, but as soon as it went thought the self check ABS light and the Traction OFF light came on and stays on. Where can/should I look first? Sensors at the wheels, ABS control unit? Fuses? I have ODB II reader but it does not read the ABS codes, neither does my mechanic's ODB II, so now what. Will take/look at any suggestions :monkey:

Thanks,