Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oreo931

Springs On The Hood Latches

I was able to remove the springs (two in total - one on each side) attatched to the latches on the hood and after getting new latches I need to reattatch the springs...Getting them off was hard enough (i had to use a screwdriver and a LOT of force) anyways, it seems impossible to put these things back on...do i need some sort of compressor or something so that i can have the springs stretched so i can reattatch them?

btw i did search, this topic hasnt been covered...this is for a 96 850 turbo

TIA

edit here is a pic! SOMEONE HELP!

IPB Image

bump i need an answer to this asap

Guest AlvinL

Did you open the hinge all the way, including the locking tab that allows the hood to open straight up?

Did you open the hinge all the way, including the locking tab that allows the hood to open straight up?

+1

locking tab ftw

yes, it still isnt giving enough room for the spring to latch onto the body, even if i pull it hard it wont reach...

bump for new ideas!!! PLEASE! i need to get this fixed because im currently hoodless

bump bc i added a picture! please h31p!!!!

ttt-

someone here HAD to have taken off a hood one time or another! :( :(

Guest AlvinL

1. Make a rope with a loop at the end of it.

2. Open the door and fish the rope through the opened door to hook to the spring.

3. Pull on the rope to stretch the spring and guide it back on.

4. If the rope is slippery, make a few knots in the rope for you to grasp.

That should work.

this is what i thought i might have to do...

the reason i asked is because i was sure that the guys at body shops dont all just line up and play tug of war when its time to latch a hood hinge spring onto the body of the car, i would have thought there was some sort of tool for that...ok well i guess im going to have to go buy some rope!

this is what i thought i might have to do...

the reason i asked is because i was sure that the guys at body shops dont all just line up and play tug of war when its time to latch a hood hinge spring onto the body of the car, i would have thought there was some sort of tool for that...ok well i guess im going to have to go buy some rope!

I'm not sure how you would fasten it or anything, but a small hydralic jack, or maybe a regular jack could probably be modified to use as a tool, its probably similar to what bodyshops end up using.

All i have to say is that i'm a genious...if anyone else has this problem, see the picture below. Question asked, and i solved it all on my own :):):)

IPB Image

[Mod] Edited for language

Have you ever replaced shoes on a car equipped with drum brakes? There is a tool that you use to install the springs. Use that tool next time. It should fit and should work. Pop that bugger on.