• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K&n Cone Filter

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any difference between having a cone K&N filter installed or just the normal K&N filter inside the stock air filter housing?

I currently have a K&N filter inside the housing but can get the cone for real cheap, should I swap it out?

Regards,

Caaine

Posted

The problem with the cone is that you have to find a way to isolate it from the engine heat, several on the board have made shields, maybe they can post some pics. Don't change over to the cone unless you have the heat shield thing worked out.

Posted

aye taking in more air will hurt you if it's engine-air (HOT!).

Posted

Hi,

Ok, thanks for the tips. But I assume that means, IF I can shield it from engine heat the cone will outperform the standard K&N filter in the stock airbox?

Regards,

Caaine

Posted

If you decide to go with a cone filter, Eurosport (and others, I'm sure) makes one that incorporates a heat shield. Installation is pretty straightforward and can even be done by novices like me! Dammit Jim, I'm a carpenter, not a mechanic! :wink:

Posted

I have a 96 850 GLT and looking on Eurosport all i see is a K&N filter for turbos and was wondering would it still fit where my airbox is? i think from the cars ive seen it would i just wanna be positive

Posted

just go to an autoparts store and get a cone filter and put it on the existing intake tubing. Cost : $40. Savings : $160

Posted

haha alright sounds good

Posted

Make sure you have some sort of heat shield for the cone and keep the stock air feed pipe running to the cone

Posted

i'd hate to give you wrong information but i remember reading something about the mass sensor being built into the airbox on the N/A's ?

Posted

I have an N/A 95 850, and my cone will fit on the end of the MAF. I just put an etxra peice of tubing there for looks.

Posted

I've got several 850's, and I put a K&N cone onto one of them with just a quick piece of rubber from home depot:

The piece of rubber was in the plumbing department, and I modified it (with a holesaw) so the maf fits in:

http://fat.geekcrap.com/images/car/intake_...st/DSC00349.JPG

here's the final product (yes, I know that we should have left the bottom box and stuff in, but this is my friends car, and he didn't want it)

http://fat.geekcrap.com/images/car/intake_...st/DSC00350.JPG

Posted

potroast, i don't really mean to rain on your parade, or your friend's for that matter, but i think that setup may do more harm than good. you are not getting any forced air flow into that filter. if you had the bottom part of the airbox there and the pipe running next to the radiator, you would get some fresh air along with all that hot engine air. with your setup, all you get is hot engine air!!! i'll show you my setup.....

DSC00466.jpg

this is on my turbo model, and the airbox is still there! see what your friend thinks of it, and convince him to go to this sort of thing. i will post pics when i get the heat shield and pipe done!!

Posted

caaine, here's my setup, still getting alot of hot air from the engine, but i'll post pics with the heat shield built!!....Rich, any ideas for getting that done with a roll of sheet aluminum from home depot?

DSC00466.jpg

Posted

After trying most of the available filter kits out there w/ heat shields and assorted configurations I came to the conclusion that you really need to isolate the engine heat 100 % from entering the intake into your MAF( which tells your ECU how much fuel to dump)..thats why the folks at Volvo made that box as tight as possible...plus, the more air-tight the box , the better the turbulence of air as it enters the intake.

I ended up custom making a box out of aluminum that houses a Weapon R filter..its got 2 sources of cold air coming into it..one from the stock location, and the other snaked in thru the bottom air dam.I used the flexible metal intake-piping from Akimoto Racing.

There are no open seams at all in this box.The top is removable and sealed with aluminum -heat tape from Home Depot.

I vacuum it out once a week, since w/ 2 hoses..it gets dirt and dust in there fairly quick.

The first time I switched to this set up I immediately felt the change..you can definitely hear it

thru the firewall., and if you have an Aquamist system you can get good boost even in the summer, not, like Winter boost,,,but better than most set ups.Cheers!