Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yellow95

Interesting Find When I Took My Lower Engine Cover Off

I took my lower engine cover off the GLT to do some cleaning. Dropped it and see a 1/8" npt nipple sticking out of the bottom of my intercooler and it is open? Is this some shade tree fix to blow oil out of the intercooler? How much boost/vac do you think I was loosing out of this fitting? Obviously I removed it and put in a 1/8" npt plug. Anyone seen this before?

Gary

It's just the intercooler's oil weep hole... how would you like it if someone plugged your weep hole? Leave others' weep holes alone.

Its supposed to be open at all times?

Gary

Yes, it will drain wihen the standing oil level in the intercooler reaches a certain level. Most of the time, oil will just blow through, but not always. I highly doubt that a 1/8" drain in the intercooler is affecting boost levels.

This brings up a good point. Has anyone tried putting an oil seperator on these cars? It's a popular mod for Harley trucks to keep oil out of the intercooler.

Yes, it will drain wihen the standing oil level in the intercooler reaches a certain level. Most of the time, oil will just blow through, but not always. I highly doubt that a 1/8" drain in the intercooler is affecting boost levels.

This brings up a good point. Has anyone tried putting an oil seperator on these cars? It's a popular mod for Harley trucks to keep oil out of the intercooler.

Search for catch can. http://volvospeed.com/Mods/catchcan.htm

Yeah- there's still quite a bit of oil in my upper charge air pipes even with the weep hole... Catch cans help with crankcase pressure too right?

Guest 300+_T5R_855

i plugged mine

there's not that much oil in there.

Plugging it is not a good idea, unless you plan on draining it on a regular basis. If you have a rich condition it can fill up with fuel. If you should have an engine fire (speaking from experience) you will not be able to put it out once it starts should it get to the intercooler.

Plugging it is not a good idea, unless you plan on draining it on a regular basis. If you have a rich condition it can fill up with fuel. If you should have an engine fire (speaking from experience) you will not be able to put it out once it starts should it get to the intercooler.

i see your logic, but I have never had that much oil in the intercooler....I do have another issue though....at idle I definitely smell fuel when outside of the car, especially standing near my drivers side door, and even more when the fan kicks on.

also get fuel smell when I hit the throttle hard, and have the a/c venting (not on recirc), and no a/c on, just the vents open.

doubt it has anything to do with the i/c being plugged, but worth mentioning

I plugged the drain hole, and my intercooler blew up at 25psi, just a thought :P

It has been determined that it was not a nitrous backfire which blew up the intercooler, due to the fact that the engine/car is raping face many thousands of miles later:)

It's just the intercooler's oil weep hole... how would you like it if someone plugged your weep hole? Leave others' weep holes alone.

Hahaha - well stated.

Yeah, for example, if someone changes your oil and overfills the engine, it will be excreted via this opening. I'm pretty sure it's not there to sacrifice any performance.

Stephen

Look at the Vidas instructions for adding a weep hole and nipple for customers who complain of excessive oil in their intercooler and turbo hoses. So, it's not suppose to just "breath" from what I understand. There has to be pressure and oil for the nipple to open to let out the stuff. At least this is what I remember about it.

Mine was just a standard open 1/8"npt nipple. I say was because not it is a standard 1/8"npt plug.;)

Gary

Back when I had my VW TDI, I had an oil separator.... not to keep oil out of the intercooler, but to prevent the oil vapors from combining with the exhaust soot to, in no better words, "gunk up" the intake manifold.

It was amazing to see how much oil and vapor was filtered out and condensed inside the filter housing.

The separator I used was the Mann ProVent 200.

http://www.emotors.ca/Articles/128.aspx shows one person's way of installing the filter on a TDI. I managed to install mine much more cleanly than that writeup shows. It does give a good indication of what the filter's like, along with why it costs as much as it does.

I was really impressed with the ProVent while I had the TDI. Did an excellent job of keeping the "crud" from building up. Plus, it looks pretty much like a "factory part" when suitably installed.