Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Account_Deleted_T5M

Subs Cut Out At Higher Volume

I have two 12" kenwood subs hooked up to a kenwood 800 watt amp. The amp is not bridged (even though it says it's bridgeable) and all the ground connections seem secure, but at about just over 1/2 volume it will cut out within 30 seconds come back on within like 5 seconds and keep repeating that cycle. Any suggestions as how to fix? The amp seems to be pretty warm, but has a built in fan.

amp not supplying enough power?

This problem has only been happening since the summer. I thought it was the hot weather conditions (my amp have a cutoff from damaging the amp by overheating) but how would the amp not supply enough power? I'm running 4gauge wire from my battery with no capacitor. Problem with amp>? I don't think the subs are drawing too much power

some amps have a heat protection where they'll turn off like how you described it sound to be too long clipping. chekc the specs on your amp.

got part#s for the amp and subs? Also, OHM loads for the subs. these 3 things would make it 1000x easier to diagnose the problem.

I'm betting the power draw is too high or the ohm rating is too low for the amp. I had similar issues when I tried to run two 12s on a Sony 700W (that is, until it caught on fire).When you're near the maximum threshold for your amp, they tend to do this (work fine when it's colder, overheat when it's warmer) Try lowering your gain a bit, and either using a "bass-boost", increasing the output level on your sub channel, or just living with a little less bass. That should help things.

got part#s for the amp and subs? Also, OHM loads for the subs. these 3 things would make it 1000x easier to diagnose the problem.

Amp is KAC-7201

Subs are KFCW3005

Subwoofer Size : 12 Inch

Dual Voice Coil : No

Impedance (Ohms) : 4

Peak Power Handling (watts) : 700

Frequency Response (Hz) : 25Hz - 800Hz

Sensitivity (dB) : 93

Woofer Cone Material : Pearl Mica Injection-Molded Polypropylene

Woofer Surround Material : Urethane

Voice Coil Design : 2-Layer, Vented Voice Coil

Basket Material : Steel

xMax - Maximum Excursion (millimeters) : 9.0

QTS : .66

Fs - Free Air Resonance (Hz) : 32

Recommended Amp Wattage Range : 30 - 160 Watts

Mounting Depth (inches) : 5-5/16

Vas (liters) : 82.84

so you have each sub running on its own channel? i.e. a 2-channel amp? any specs on the amp or a model #?

so you have each sub running on its own channel? i.e. a 2-channel amp? any specs on the amp or a model #?

Amp is KAC-7201

hmm, does not look like he could be overdriving the amp or overheating it either, could be lack of power?? or one the leads on the sub is broke....

maybe try running the subs in series and bridging the amp just to see what happens. It'll put you at 8ohm so you'll lose alot of output but just see if it works. Maybe ohm your subs out as well, you might have a broken voice coil so the sub will still play but the ohm load could be severly forked.

you might have a broken voice coil so the sub will still play but the ohm load could be severly forked.

The chances of a voice-coil breaking "partially" is really low due to how they're wound, they usually go 100% open or closed circuit... His subs are SVC so if this happened it'd be running as a passive resonator and you'd hope he'd notice that - but if it were a dead short it'd definetly make the amp unhappy. Definetly worth checking out.

Like other people have said, amps can overheat from ambient temp being too high (although that means something else isn't really "right), too much load, or too little current. However, you said 4GA, so that's not an issue. I'd really look at the gain (ideally you'd throw it on an oscilloscope and see if it's clipping, but I doubt you have access to that). Lowering it 2% to 10% might make all of this go away.

before you go crazy tryin to find the problem just disconnect the amp, make sure you hav a GOOD ground and hook it up again carefully.

I had the same problem and it ended up being my ground, the ground was fine at lower power levels but once i turned it up it took a crap just like you explained, and make sure your RCA's are tight on the amp. sometimes they can get a little sloppy just crush them a little by hand

I'll go over the connections again.

About bridging the sub. I used to have them bridged but they would cut out alot, so i unbridged them. The only other thing i could think of was that it was the sub. I'm not familiar with OHMs etc.