Photo

1999 V70 Hesitation, Misfire Code, Tried Everything!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 mybird67

mybird67

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:10 AM

This spring I bought a 1999 V70 with 98,000 miles. It is the first manual transmission car I've brought home that my wife actually likes, so it is important that I find a solution to this problem so we can keep it. The car has developed a hiccup or hesitation that is random and intermittent. It has caused the check engine light to come on after doing it several times. The code reads that one or more cylinders has misfired. We have changed the plugs, the wires, and have replaced the rotor and cap - all with OEM Volvo parts. The problem has not gone away. From reading other posts it seems that the coils are next? True? What else do I check, and in what order?

Very frustrating, this is our first Volvo and we are very predisposed to like it...would be a shame if the first one turns out to be the only one!

Thanks!

#2 leurven

leurven

Level 3 Member

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:10 AM

Not sure coils are a common problem but it could be the problem here. Have you checked the injectors and all that for leaks or what have you? Seamus probably knows what is going on with this. Never heard of this problem myself.
Posted Image
Golden Gate VCOA Club Secretary
www.SharpHID.com - plug & play HID conversion kits - PRICES LOWER THAN EVER!!
'00 V70R - totaled :(
2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T (daily driver) - 1986 BMW 325es (daily driver)

#3 dmelviØØ7

dmelviØØ7

Bi-Winning

• OH Moderator
  • 12,964 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:41 AM

I have seen the coils go out, it's not a rare problem. Wait cap and rotor? You sure it's a 99?

sonicblue-satinwrap-s60r-sig.jpg

2011 iPd Garage Sale - Best in Class FWD/AWD - Best in Show

2012 iPd Garage Sale - Best in Show

2013 iPd Garage Sale - Attendant

#4 leurven

leurven

Level 3 Member

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE(dmelviØØ7 @ Oct 11 2006, 09:41 PM) View Post
I have seen the coils go out, it's not a rare problem. Wait cap and rotor? You sure it's a 99?

Ah good point.

Could be coil on the 98 even.
Posted Image
Golden Gate VCOA Club Secretary
www.SharpHID.com - plug & play HID conversion kits - PRICES LOWER THAN EVER!!
'00 V70R - totaled :(
2002 Audi Allroad 2.7T (daily driver) - 1986 BMW 325es (daily driver)

#5 mybird67

mybird67

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:42 AM

Oops, my bad, it's a 1998. D-uh. It's my first Volvo...checking the coil today.

#6 dmelviØØ7

dmelviØØ7

Bi-Winning

• OH Moderator
  • 12,964 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

I've seen a head gasket cause a misfire, could be a stuck valve also. Time for compression and leak down test.

sonicblue-satinwrap-s60r-sig.jpg

2011 iPd Garage Sale - Best in Class FWD/AWD - Best in Show

2012 iPd Garage Sale - Best in Show

2013 iPd Garage Sale - Attendant

#7 MrWinkey

MrWinkey

Am I drunk? You tell me!

• OH Moderator
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:09 AM

So you have a 98 with a random missfire P0300 I assume...and you used OEM parts are you SURE they are OEM cap and rotor and no Bosch plats? If so and it's a turbo car perhaps you need a better quality fuel or a total extreme possibily I have only seen it once... a bad crank sensor in the bell(that is on the extreme end) wink.gif
"SMOKE TROUT NOT CRACK"

#8 Guest_Jim Kuson_*

Guest_Jim Kuson_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(mybird67 @ Oct 11 2006, 02:10 AM) View Post
This spring I bought a 1999 V70 with 98,000 miles. It is the first manual transmission car I've brought home that my wife actually likes, so it is important that I find a solution to this problem so we can keep it. The car has developed a hiccup or hesitation that is random and intermittent. It has caused the check engine light to come on after doing it several times. The code reads that one or more cylinders has misfired. We have changed the plugs, the wires, and have replaced the rotor and cap - all with OEM Volvo parts. The problem has not gone away. From reading other posts it seems that the coils are next? True? What else do I check, and in what order?

Very frustrating, this is our first Volvo and we are very predisposed to like it...would be a shame if the first one turns out to be the only one!

Thanks!

The 1999 v70 has no cap and rotor----what's up?

Copyright 2013 Volvospeed