scoober

Bike Pics!

Recommended Posts

Got in a bad wreck today. Doing 40ish mph hit a pot hole and CF handlebars snapped. Tons of brush burns, groin is fucked. 

 

Didnt hit hit head or seem to dislocate hip. Not positive yet and that might explain the groin issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:( sorry Mike

I had a wipe out down a small cliff recently on my MTB - literally caught the bike over my head behind me while falling down the cliff lol. Havent been out since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody MTB Utah? I'm doing 10 days soon out there and will be looking to rent bikes and get lost!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gmsgltr said:

Anybody MTB Utah? I'm doing 10 days soon out there and will be looking to rent bikes and get lost!

Utah is huge for MTB, look into guided trips. MOAB is one of the biggest most popular areas but beware its shared with moto/jeeps e/t/c 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Travis said about Moab. Slickrock is where everyone goes. I spend a fair amount of time in Utah and ride each Summer. Southern Utah is where most everyone goes for the canyons and trails. But it gets BUSY in the Summer. There are some great trails down outside of St George / Hurricane and around Zion National Park if you want to get away from the crowds (outside of Zion not in Zion).  It's hot and dry so be prepared to carry more water than you usually would.

Most of the ski slopes have mountain bike trails on them and will allow you to buy lift tickets and ride up and down all day which can be a new kind of challenging run if you haven't tackled something like that before. Lots of good trails up in the mountains around Salt Lake City and Bountiful as well as down in Provo Canyon as well. Take a look at mtbproject.com and you'll get a good feel for various areas. I love riding up in the Uintas, Cottonwood Canyons, Park City.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:17 AM, Burn-E said:

What Travis said about Moab. Slickrock is where everyone goes. I spend a fair amount of time in Utah and ride each Summer. Southern Utah is where most everyone goes for the canyons and trails. But it gets BUSY in the Summer. There are some great trails down outside of St George / Hurricane and around Zion National Park if you want to get away from the crowds (outside of Zion not in Zion).  It's hot and dry so be prepared to carry more water than you usually would.

Most of the ski slopes have mountain bike trails on them and will allow you to buy lift tickets and ride up and down all day which can be a new kind of challenging run if you haven't tackled something like that before. Lots of good trails up in the mountains around Salt Lake City and Bountiful as well as down in Provo Canyon as well. Take a look at mtbproject.com and you'll get a good feel for various areas. I love riding up in the Uintas, Cottonwood Canyons, Park City.

Thank you! I am going soon so I gotta do some more research!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommendation on pumps? I have a fantastic floor pump from Joe Blow for which I recently upgraded the hose so no worries there. I need something packable (ideally pocket but possibly seat bag). Definitely not frame fit. I realize that means I'm going the route of a small pump that will be a struggle to fill the tube. I have a Lezyne Control Drive CO2 inflator with 25g cartridge. But there's always that issue of putting just enough air in the tube before fitting to the wheel to ensure it doesn't pinch. Does anyone else carry CO2 and a pump? If not how do you approach flats on the ride besides calling your wife to come pick you up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had a joe blow for a while,  using a cannondale one now and really like it.

 

I use the Co2 things.  I carry 2 cartridges though.  16gs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What CO2 inflator do you use Mike? How do you handle shaping the tube before slipping It onto the wheel to avoid pinches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burn-E said:

What CO2 inflator do you use Mike? How do you handle shaping the tube before slipping It onto the wheel to avoid pinches?

Use your lungs. Assuming they're presta, just blow in to the valve and it'll inflate a bit. Not entirely necessary either. Feed the lever or your finger under the bead first to push things clear, then lever on. You still have to be fairly deliberate with a semi-inflated tube anyway so it's not much for additional effort.

I did the CO2 thing for a while, but realized I like to be able to top off, or adjust pressure and a cartridge really isn't ideal for that. If I bought another Co2 tool, I'd probably look for the chucks that screw on without a bulky cage or switch assembly. Oh, like the one you have. Just noticed that.

When you say no frame pump, do you mean no top-tube length pumps, or nothing on the frame at all? There are many smaller pumps which can be mounted under a bottle cage. I've used various mini hand pumps over the years and none seem tremendously different than others. I've been impressed with the quality/finish of the Lezyne pumps. I like their extension hose, partly because the clamp-on style pumps feel like the valve wiggling around is likely to induce leakage, even if that's just in my head. At one point, I believe Cannondale's pumps were rebranded Lezyne. Their current lineup reminds me of Blackburn pumps, but none of it matches their current offer.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I don't carry a pump anymore because I decided I'm no longer getting flats

We can't all be you though Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now