Sign in to follow this  
scoober

Bike Pics!

ha, thats what i was wondering.

they provide bikes etc? or just KITS?

Just kits, but Sram (CEO or someone important is a Tulane grad) is a sponsor along with someone else cool. It's only $50-$60 to join aned that pays for the kit.

That's a good deal if you think that most kits cost twice that much. I'm assuming you won't be able to race collegiate races though, right ? Will you do any USAC events ?

That's a good deal if you think that most kits cost twice that much. I'm assuming you won't be able to race collegiate races though, right ? Will you do any USAC events ?

I don't know yet. It's all very preliminary.

This is a very complicated case, Matt. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man.

Edited by scumcity14

Not feeling the new avatar matt

Oh yeah ? I'll find another gem for you.

This is a very complicated case, Matt. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man.

It ain't easy being Pat. I realize that.

Pat: just go with it, if you don't like it, walk away from it in a year. I'm sure it's like every team, everywhere: no formal commitment, no real structure where there are consequences for not doing what's asked of you. It's much better to ride with other IMHO, this could be a great set up.

So who ride titanium frames? I found a good deal on a Litespeed classic frame. Around 2000 vintage so it has the cool "L" dropouts, curved chainstays, etc. Brushed raw finish with no decals which is rad, and comes with Ti Litespeed seatpost and CK headset. Only funky thing is that those old Litespeeds use 1" threadless headset so I'd have to find a decent fork to use with it.

All in all it'd be about the same price as the new Traitor frameset I'm planning on. So price being a wash comparing the 2 essentially, do I go with 15 year old Titanium, or new steel. I like steel bikes a lot but haven't spent any time on a titanium frame. I will say I'm intrigued by the fact that the Ti frame weighs 1.5 pounds less than the Traitor frame. I'd probably save a pound on the fork too if I find a nice carbon fork for it. I'm no weight weenie, but 2.5 pound difference between framesets is nothing to scoff at.

I ride a lynskey Cooper Ti XL

3/2

Best bike ever being a BIGGER rider

Rode and raced a Litespeed Ti frame for almost 10 years, one of the best all around bikes I ever owned. Super comfortable and forgiving, light, looked great and was easy to keep clean. Small scratch: meh, just brush the frame with some fine steelwool and you're done.

If the price is right, I'd get it, 1 inch steer tube and all.

I ride a lynskey Cooper Ti XL

3/2

Best bike ever being a BIGGER rider

Rode and raced a Litespeed Ti frame for almost 10 years, one of the best all around bikes I ever owned. Super comfortable and forgiving, light, looked great and was easy to keep clean. Small scratch: meh, just brush the frame with some fine steelwool and you're done.

If the price is right, I'd get it, 1 inch steer tube and all.

Nice! Thanks for the feedback on the subject. Price definitely seems right to me -- I'm thinking I could pick it up for $550 or so. That's for the frame, matching Litespeed Ti seatpost and already installed Chris King headset. Add maybe $100 or so for a good condition used carbon fork to match and should make for a pretty darn light frameset.

I'm pretty sold on the brushed finish too. Easy to touch up as you said. I might even consider taking it to have it freshly media blasted before putting it together too for a nice even and fresh surface finish.

Edited by iPd Cameron

i wasn't able to do a nice write up earlier.

I have 2 nice/nicer alum bikes. they were fine etc. I wanted to go lighter, stiffer. I found my frame on ebay. i can link you to my build on WW if you want. i love my set up and i'm not finished yet.

Travis gets salty when i say it, but my Ti bike is lighter than his CF bianchi. ((yes i've invested a lot :P).

I"ve never put any time into a CF or steel so i can't totally compare. One of the guys i ride with has a custom INDEPENDENT S steel frame

http://www.ifbikes.com

we will be climbing out of the saddle and you can visible see the frame flexing on the back triangle. We've gone back and forth about flex springing back the energy etc. He says its super comfortable, but he says he does love a Ti bike.

based on the year, i bet Lynskey made that frame.

not sure why that line is a link, hahah

I do believe it's a Lynskey at heart. Even looking through some of the official Litespeed catalogs back in the late 90s they refer to themselves as part of the Lynskey family.

I have seen many Indy Fab bikes -- very nice bikes in my opinion. Many reviews I read about Ti bikes praise that they're a good mix of being comfortable yet stiff. I don't ride super hard so comfortable it more what I opt towards generally. For this new bike I would love it to be as light as fast as possible without getting crazy so it would seem +1 to Ti bike there. As I had mentioned earlier in the thread too I want the new bike to be the bad weather/rain bike as well and Ti certainly has the corrosion resistance advantage.

I've had a few Aluminum bikes and I like the lightness of them but they can feel harsh after a while to me. I love the plush feel of the steel frame on my Cielo and while it's certainly not heavy, it's not that light either.

If I could build up the Litespeed I'm looking at to be sub 20 pounds complete I'd be plenty happy. I don't think that'd be too much of a chore either when starting with a 3.4lb frame.

Edited by iPd Cameron

IMHO Ti is the best material for frames bar none...Plush, stiff, light. When I get bored of switching bikes around every now and again it will definitely be Ti