Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jb7073

Pedal Position Sensor - Easy To Replace?

Been having sporadic issues lately where the car just won't want to go (ETS software update done 1 week ago, and started afterward). You have to floor it to move. Anyway, finally set an ETS code today and I drove it straight to the dealer and refused to turn it off until they checked it.

They said that it's the pedal position sensor. They want $130 for the part, and $350 to replace.

Is this a job I can do myself? Have to replace the battery too for $110 (part only), so I'd like to do it all myself.

There is the booster pedal sensor?? And the accelerator pedal unit? For the price of the part I would say they are talking about the pedal brake pedal position sensor located on the booster. If that is so, It is simple to replace but I would replace the brake light switch with it. If either one of these gives the wrong info it can put a code up for either or both. :blink:

There is the booster pedal sensor?? And the accelerator pedal unit? For the price of the part I would say they are talking about the pedal brake pedal position sensor located on the booster. If that is so, It is simple to replace but I would replace the brake light switch with it. If either one of these gives the wrong info it can put a code up for either or both. :blink:

It's the accelerator pedal sensor. With the ETM, it needs a sensor for the drive by wire I guess. I'm not even sure where this thing is, but it's setting an ETS code.

I haven't found a 99+ repair manual, so I'm not sure where to start on this thing. But I'd really like to replace it myself I can.

Edit: PN info

Acellerator pedal position sensor

That #is for a 2002 and up? :unsure: I smell a rat!! <_< I think they need to replace the ETM! The ETM is under warranty. Do not let them BS you! They are trying to sell the sensor to either soak you or because of poor diagnostics. I have seen only a few sensors fail. Have them replace the ETM and if you need the sensor after, buy is and put it in. It is a ten min. job and requires no special tools or SW download.....Bastards!!! :angry:

That #is for a 2002 and up? :unsure: I smell a rat!! <_< I think they need to replace the ETM! The ETM is under warranty. Do not let them BS you! They are trying to sell the sensor to either soak you or because of poor diagnostics. I have seen only a few sensors fail. Have them replace the TCM and if you need the sensor after, buy is and put it in. It is a ten min. job and requires no special tools or SW download.....Bastards!!! :angry:

Could be the SA quoted me the wrong part #. I too believe it's the ETM, but the SA is being somewhat of an a-hole, and for $100, if it happens again, I get to bring it right back and raise cain (My wife won't even deal with this guy unless she has to). But it's part of the whole reason I want to replace it myself. That way besides saving the money, I know what really happens.

Could you direct me to where this part should be? I can pull it out of the car tonight, and compare it with the new one tomorrow when they get it in.

It is basically your gas pedal. Crawl under the steering wheel and remove it. You may need to remove the kick panel first (one TQ –25 screw).

It is basically your gas pedal. Crawl under the steering wheel and remove it. You may need to remove the kick panel first (one TQ –25 screw).

Thanks, very helpful. :)

Needed to remove the kick panel (t25), and 3 10mm nuts/bolts. Looks like I need 2 new locking nuts as well.

I would almost pay to see someone try to steal the car tonight :D

That #is for a 2002 and up? :unsure: I smell a rat!! <_< I think they need to replace the ETM! The ETM is under warranty. Do not let them BS you! They are trying to sell the sensor to either soak you or because of poor diagnostics. I have seen only a few sensors fail. Have them replace the TCM and if you need the sensor after, buy is and put it in. It is a ten min. job and requires no special tools or SW download.....Bastards!!! :angry:

I agree.......I seem to smell a rat as well!!! I have had the ETM throw that same code (generic OBDII) and it comes up as pedal pos. sensor.....I believe it probably needs an ETM as stated!

Good to know! I thought it might........................................ I still smell a rat though!!

Got the parts today. Looks a little different. So far the car is driving normal, but only 4 miles on it so far.

Thanks for the help. Max 1 hour to remove/replace and the dealer was going to charge over $200 for installation.

VS saves the day again!

Here are some comparison pictures of the two pedals

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/the...an/IMG_2649.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/the...an/IMG_2650.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/the...an/IMG_2656.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/the...an/IMG_2657.jpg