Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boomin850

Yet Another 850 Jewels Problem

So, the other day I was at my buddy's shop when he told me my lights were freaking out...I took no notice to it and disregarded his comment. Then it happened...I was driving tonight when I passed a cop....sure enough I got pulled over. He asked me if I knew why he pulled me over...I wasn't speeding or anything so I said that I didn't. He then asked me if I realized my headlight was blinking :blink: . Not only had two of the LED's gone out...but the bottom 3 were blinking extremely fast. He told me it was a hazard, blah blah blah. Told me to fix it. They went on to compliment me on the car :lol: . Either way, Im just pissed because these black jewels really are just crap. Looks like I'll need to resolder in some new LED's and see what happens...

So, the other day I was at my buddy's shop when he told me my lights were freaking out...I took no notice to it and disregarded his comment. Then it happened...I was driving tonight when I passed a cop....sure enough I got pulled over. He asked me if I knew why he pulled me over...I wasn't speeding or anything so I said that I didn't. He then asked me if I realized my headlight was blinking :blink: . Not only had two of the LED's gone out...but the bottom 3 were blinking extremely fast. He told me it was a hazard, blah blah blah. Told me to fix it. They went on to compliment me on the car :lol: . Either way, Im just pissed because these black jewels really are just crap. Looks like I'll need to resolder in some new LED's and see what happens...

Darn, this pisses me off because I just want them so Darn bad, but the quality just sucks jerk. So im stuck waiting for someone to find a solution that dosnt suck.

Darn, this pisses me off because I just want them so Darn bad, but the quality just sucks jerk. So im stuck waiting for someone to find a solution that dosnt suck.

Solution is easy...hack them up...put in a bixenon projector, then replace all of the LED's BEFORE you install them. Done and done

Solution is easy...hack them up...put in a bixenon projector, then replace all of the LED's BEFORE you install them. Done and done

oh yeah, how did I miss such a easy solution.

oh yeah, how did I miss such a easy solution.

:monkey: Iono...If you ever want to do it tho...and have the money to...I'll do it for ya ;). That'd be 4 cars in Ca with my bixenons :ph34r:

:monkey: Iono...If you ever want to do it tho...and have the money to...I'll do it for ya ;). That'd be 4 cars in Ca with my bixenons :ph34r:

I would probably end up trying it myself. Im usually pretty good with that type of thing. Its too much cash for just a set of lights though, much more important things first. If I found a nice solution for under $400 I would take it.

do the chrome jewels hold up well?
Yes, the chrome plating insulates them of all problems. That's why people chrome their wheels didn't you know? Keeps them from having poblems.

mine are doing this too. teh LED's are 5mm right? what kinda job is it to take a jewel apart to replace the led? ebay has LEDs ..100 for like 30bucks...

mine are doing this too. teh LED's are 5mm right? what kinda job is it to take a jewel apart to replace the led? ebay has LEDs ..100 for like 30bucks...
It is fairly easy to remove the plate with the LEDs on it. It just snaps into place.

For what it is worth, I have had the darkened jewels for almost 2 years now and have never had a problem, other than one was broken when I received it.

I had nothing but problems with those dark jewels when I first got mine a couple of years ago. I had one of the first three sets here and all of them fogged up and became discolored. I sent them back, got new sets...and again discolored and fogged. I never did have a problem with the led's though. I gave up with them and put stock ones back in...now to order my hid kit. Good luck with the fix.

jewels kinda remind me of 3/5 series bmw headlights..almost identical. maybe bmw stuff can be swapped into jewel housings to make a better quality headlight without spending $400+ to build projectors from scratch.

well, the real situation is that the older sets are MUCH different than the newer sets.

Older sets and newer sets both have fogging and discoloration problems with the corners, but the older sets never had an LED problems.

It seems as though the newer jewels that have the hyperwhite led's are the culprits. either way, I got the LED's off of ebay for $30 shipped....50 white with resistors and 50 red with resistors just in case. :)

Mike, I'll dig them out if I can find them.

I guess I got lucky with mine because I don't have fogging problems with them either.

I guess I got lucky with mine because I don't have fogging problems with them either.

with the corners you dont?