Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

garyfb

Motor Mounts

How can you tell if any motor mounts need to be replaced.

Any symptoms, etc.

Thanks

If so, are they difficult to replace diy.

Do they look trashed? Is there a lot of play on the engine?

(ie, can you put your hands on it and easily move it, or do you feel a strange weight transfer when turning, possibily with a bit of clunking?)

How can you tell if any motor mounts need to be replaced.

Any symptoms, etc.

Thanks

If so, are they difficult to replace diy.

I have done the "front" motor mount (it's actually on the right side of the car, but front of the engine) and it's fairly easy to do, on the exception of some awkward angles. Definitely a DIY job though, I'd say. If you pull your front right wheel and pull back the liner a bit, you can see this one and will instantly be able to tell if the rubber is torn (it will look just like the engine is sitting very low, from the best I can explain). Another way to tell, is by putting your hood up, starting your car, and shifting from N to D, or P to R or something, and having someone watch under the hood and see if your engine "jumps" a lot. Most commonly sympomatic is your car having a lot of vibration just sitting at an idle. FCP Groton has a great deal on this one - I'd check it out and definitely buy there if you need one.

vibration at idle and while driving I noticed as well as degradation in handling. If you replace make sure to get OEM. do NOT GET SCANTECH mounts.

Let me reinforce the OEM mounts choice. I just replaced a ScanTech front mount after less than 30k of pretty gentle driving.