Sign in to follow this  
BlackT5

Project Blackt5

Recommended Posts

image_11338.jpg

At least that's what I did. Just make a new plate out of sheet metal without the pass throughs and it won't look too bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I talked to KM Cams about setting them up via lift at TDC.

I told them I was concerned with the hydrualic lifters the measurements would be off too. They said our engines use a direct lifter type unlike ex Chevy engine with hydros. For the Chevy engine the measurements would be off :)

Go ahead and set them up like solid lifters.

Edited by Simply Volvo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned to Mark that I have a couple lifters that do the same thing. Zero lifter tick detected when my motor was together and running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked my lifters again and most don't do it, but I found a couple that do. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked my lifters again and most don't do it, but I found a couple that do. lol

Might be time for new ones or servicing.

New ones cost like $10 a piece, servicing requires you to slam the lifter very very hard down onto a table and everything should pop out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had them all replaced when my motor was built, but I suppose that was 10 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-8 AN fittings welded to the oil cooler lines. Will run braided hose to this Earls oil cooler. DO88 aluminum rad should arrive in a week or two.

photo1_zps862c7c9d.jpg

photo2_zps3ad485a8.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Progress is slowwwww. Installed the new water pump, idler pulley. Had to stop when none of my torque wrenches would fit between the frame rail when trying to torque the new timing belt tensioner pulley. Picking up a new torque wrench today.

Picked up this TDC locator for $20 shipped off amazon and it works great.

photo1_zps0e02fcbc.jpg

Marked true TDC

photo2_zps3d37b114.jpg

Spun the crank to Volvo TDC and set the cams in the open cover. With the slots aligned, they look to be in the ballpark so it should just be a matter of fine tuning them

photo1_zps927a6cb1.jpg

Wire is just to hold the cams in the cover during placement.

Plenty of assembly lube used, don't worry

photo3_zpsc560e4a9.jpg

I have not tightened the cover down, but it doesn't look like much room to get the dial gauge on the lifter, especially at the correct angle inline with the valve stem.

photo2_zps860aee74.jpg

DO88 rad should be here this week with some new Volvo coils. COP wiring is figured out. Working on adjustments to the big water pipe so I can finish plumbing the turbo. Also starting to mock up the revised intercooler piping.


Looking at it now, it might almost be easier to get the dial gauge on the cyl 3 lifters..hmmm

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got it all ready to set the cams but the motor seemed too difficult to turn over. Piston clearance was good on all cyls. Seemed like perhaps the cams were binding since it's not the original cover? perhaps the cut up cover was warped?

I quickly bailed on the whole idea and pulled it all apart. I'm going to measure off cyl 3 and use my original cam cover.

First I had to create access on the exh side. Tapped out the plug and pressed in another filler neck. Dual oil cap status!

photo1_zps60c56da3.jpg

photo2_zps639f7a3d.jpg

Time to find tdc on cyl 3 and put things back together..I swear if I ever have to do this shit again, i'm pulling the motor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty safe to assume that other cover isn't true for you cams/head since they're line bored. I cut an old cover in segments, which worked better

Easier to use #3, I found. Getting the dial indicator to sit on the bucket and not ride on the cam is fun no matter how you do it. . I had to

Measure lift at least three times on

Each cam to be sure there was no error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to decide if I should dry fit it all to measure or just go ahead and put in the seals and anerobic sealant. Leaning toward the latter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this