Photo

Worn Struts- Dangerous?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 ragtopcuda

ragtopcuda

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

I have an 850 wagon that has bad struts. I can hear them squeak/clunk on bumps and corners and they are a bit loose when wiggled from the top. Problem is that we live in an apartment and I won't be able to replace them for about 4 months. Any danger to keep driving this way? Thanks!
1996 850 Wagon NA 117k miles
Totally stock

#2 Kashif

Kashif

Level 3 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:02 PM

I guess it depends on how you drive. But I don't think it would any real danger, unless you really sway back and forth like a boat when you stop or corner the car.
94 850 NA 200,000 miles, K&N air filter, Koni Struts & Shocks, IPD Sway Bars, Euro side lights

#3 matt b

matt b

Earth Day-Every Day

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 17,572 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(ragtopcuda @ Feb 9 2007, 12:58 PM) View Post
I have an 850 wagon that has bad struts. I can hear them squeak/clunk on bumps and corners and they are a bit loose when wiggled from the top. Problem is that we live in an apartment and I won't be able to replace them for about 4 months. Any danger to keep driving this way? Thanks!

Are you sure it's the struts, what you're describing is a bad upper shock plate, and possibly end links, not struts.

If it's what I think it is, go get it fixed, you could break something in 4 months if it's already that bad. $150 max and you're done at most shops. If you have some extra $$ burning your pocket, have them replace the struts too since they'll already have them out. Is this for the front, or the rear ?

Matt
MY04 V70R 6 speed manual, mostly stock

MY65 Amazon 4 door sedan, full restoration

#4 ragtopcuda

ragtopcuda

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE(Matt B. @ Feb 9 2007, 12:02 PM) View Post
Are you sure it's the struts, what you're describing is a bad upper shock plate, and possibly end links, not struts.

If it's what I think it is, go get it fixed, you could break something in 4 months if it's already that bad. $150 max and you're done at most shops. If you have some extra $$ burning your pocket, have them replace the struts too since they'll already have them out. Is this for the front, or the rear ?

It is the front. When I grab the knob/nut on top and wiggle it around, it is a bit sloppy. I can also move it up and down slightly.
Totally stock

#5 matt b

matt b

Earth Day-Every Day

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 17,572 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(ragtopcuda @ Feb 9 2007, 01:06 PM) View Post
It is the front. When I grab the knob/nut on top and wiggle it around, it is a bit sloppy. I can also move it up and down slightly.

Someone else can chime in and confirm, but I'd bet money it your shock mount plates and not your strut. If you can do it by hand like that, you should consider getting it fixed sooner rather than later.

Fill in your location and hopefully someone will be close to you and offer to help.

Matt
MY04 V70R 6 speed manual, mostly stock

MY65 Amazon 4 door sedan, full restoration

#6 FixerUpper

FixerUpper

Level 2 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(Matt B. @ Feb 9 2007, 12:24 PM) View Post
Someone else can chime in and confirm, but I'd bet money it your shock mount plates and not your strut. If you can do it by hand like that, you should consider getting it fixed sooner rather than later.

Fill in your location and hopefully someone will be close to you and offer to help.

its irrelevant b/c the strut needs to come out anyway...

you have to pull the struts to do the spring seats and the strut mount. I doubt the strut mount is bad, but your spring seat is shot which is why shock assy moves around. The spring seat is just soft rubber.

You should go ahead and replace the front shock/strut assy since its already apart.

Like was said where is your location

Edit I also have a perfectly good set of strut mounts you can have for 20 shipped if you want to replace them as well, they do fail, but not very often I have heard. They are 100+from FCP

Edited by FixerUpper, 09 February 2007 - 09:28 PM.

2000 s70 glt-se

#7 ragtopcuda

ragtopcuda

Level 1 Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(FixerUpper @ Feb 9 2007, 03:25 PM) View Post
its irrelevant b/c the strut needs to come out anyway...

you have to pull the struts to do the spring seats and the strut mount. I doubt the strut mount is bad, but your spring seat is shot which is why shock assy moves around. The spring seat is just soft rubber.

You should go ahead and replace the front shock/strut assy since its already apart.

Like was said where is your location

Edit I also have a perfectly good set of strut mounts you can have for 20 shipped if you want to replace them as well, they do fail, but not very often I have heard. They are 100+from FCP

Thanks for the feedback all- I am located in Northwest Houston.
Totally stock

Copyright 2013 Volvospeed