Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carbon_R

Smog Test

For those of you that live in CA, you better check the link below. Soon every car that's >15 years will have to smog on a yearly basis.

Read on :angry:

LINK

Raf

I have mine coming up...

I dont even know if I'll pass smog with my new 3" DP and Race Cat... :ph34r: Does any other CA resident know if Race Cats (metal core) pass?

I know Magnaflow have their ceramic "carb" certified ones.. but i opted not to get that....

AS for the article: The regulation seems sound as it will target some older cars that are polluting.

I understand some of the points made, but only us few car enthusiasts driving older cars will be hurt by this.

* A.B. 616 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

(Actually, I think it will. I've seen so many 1992 and older cars just puffing smoke away... yeah some pre 2000 cars are already puffing too... How many of these cars are owned and maintained by "enthusiasts" who tend to maintain their cars well? These cars are underestimated at maybe 75% non-enthusiast owners...They are lower-middle class owners that dont have the money or the want to maintain their cars. They want a vehicle that gets them from A-B in whatever way they can.)

We are a stuck in the middle. We are not classic/vintage... we are not new...

However, for the vintage and classic cars... i think they should continue to keep them exempt (which otherwise makes their points valid)

As for this middle section... it might be a good thing.. but honestly.. has the "once every 2 years" smog checks really made any difference...

I have mine coming up... that is brutal if it passes!

I dont even know if I'll pass smog with my new 3" DP and Race Cat... :ph34r: Does any other CA resident know if Race Cats (metal core) pass?

I know Magnaflow have their ceramic "carb" certified ones.. but i opted not to get that....

I passed with a 3''dp, and magnaflow race cat no problems...lowest emissions I've ever had

I passed with a 3''dp, and magnaflow race cat no problems...lowest emissions I've ever had

yeah your... "carb" certified one :P hahaha We'll see soon enough. I'll update when I do

Thanks tho!

I have mine coming up...

AS for the article: The regulation seems sound as it will target some older cars that are polluting.

I understand some of the points made, but only us few car enthusiasts driving older cars will be hurt by this.

* A.B. 616 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

(Actually, I think it will. I've seen so many 1992 and older cars just puffing smoke away... yeah some pre 2000 cars are already puffing too... How many of these cars are owned and maintained by "enthusiasts" who tend to maintain their cars well? These cars are underestimated at maybe 75% non-enthusiast owners...They are lower-middle class owners that dont have the money or the want to maintain their cars. They want a vehicle that gets them from A-B in whatever way they can.)

We are a stuck in the middle. We are not classic/vintage... we are not new...

However, for the vintage and classic cars... i think they should continue to keep them exempt (which otherwise makes their points valid)

As for this middle section... it might be a good thing.. but honestly.. has the "once every 2 years" smog checks really made any difference...

IMO, CA is trying to find a loop around the current smog law to force people into scrapping their older cars in order not to deal with the stringent new smog laws "smart on their part". This can cause a major threshold shift that forces you "the consumer" to buy new cars thus increasing DMV's revenue because a new car registration is 4 times or more the amount of an older vehicle and they are using the smog thingy as an excuse for a yearly check, smog check rates have gone up and they will continue to increase.

A tets only smog shop in town charged me $90 dollars to smog my wife's Civic, that's insane!!.

If CA wants to curtail smog, I feel that our senate leaders should look at larger poluters as the diesel/marine heavy industries.

I work at a gas fired power plant and the plant emissions are cleaner then a hybrid Toyota, 1.25ppm NOX on a one hour average and zero CO, SOX.

If they could do that for diesel's then the air credit emissions will be huge without hurting the little guy that can't afford to buy a new car.

I agree with you, I see some cars spewing white smoke or burning oil but thats a very small portion when you look at it in the grand scale of things. I dislike these topics because we are getting the shaft by allowing these laws to pass without our consent. CA isn't going to fix the worlds smog problems, what a joke :lol:

I sent a letter to all the senators listed on that SEMA site and 4 of them have replied back, they voted NO :)

Raf

Guest 300+_T5R_855

IMO, CA is trying to find a loop around the current smog law to force people into scrapping their older cars in order not to deal with the stringent new smog laws "smart on their part". This can cause a major threshold shift that forces you "the consumer" to buy new cars thus increasing DMV's revenue because a new car registration is 4 times or more the amount of an older vehicle and they are using the smog thingy as an excuse for a yearly check, smog check rates have gone up and they will continue to increase.

A tets only smog shop in town charged me $90 dollars to smog my wife's Civic, that's insane!!.

If CA wants to curtail smog, I feel that our senate leaders should look at larger poluters as the diesel/marine heavy industries.

I work at a gas fired power plant and the plant emissions are cleaner then a hybrid Toyota, 1.25ppm NOX on a one hour average and zero CO, SOX.

If they could do that for diesel's then the air credit emissions will be huge without hurting the little guy that can't afford to buy a new car.

I agree with you, I see some cars spewing white smoke or burning oil but thats a very small portion when you look at it in the grand scale of things. I dislike these topics because we are getting the shaft by allowing these laws to pass without our consent. CA isn't going to fix the worlds smog problems, what a joke :lol:

I sent a letter to all the senators listed on that SEMA site and 4 of them have replied back, they voted NO :)

Raf

If they didn't vote who did.

It's time to remove Don Perata and dismantle the Metropolitan Transit Commission and the California Air Resources Board

Raf

Yeah I need to compose and email them too.

You are correct about the deisels...and how this isnt going to affect the world... but politically it makes the state LOOK like its trying.

I see this as a patch.. they are trying to re-write their previous law that hasn't been effective, without saying "oops".

btw...I paid 25 bucks for my last smog check + certificate (2 years ago).. are you getting more services, or is that a special civic? I guess I'll have to report when I come back from my next smog.

but honestly

"This can cause a major threshold shift that forces you "the consumer" to buy new cars thus increasing DMV's revenue because a new car registration is 4 times or more the amount of an older vehicle and they are using the smog thingy as an excuse for a yearly check, smog check rates have gone up and they will continue to increase."

As a car enthusiast... does an extra 25 bucks (and 30 minutes of your time) per year make that much difference that you will go and buy a new car to avoid this? or as yours, 90 bucks? My car is paid off, should I start up a new 300-400 dollar monthly payment for a new car to avoid paying a fee per year? probably not.

Not that I am FOR getting another fee to pay... but i wouldnt go to the extreme of buying a new car and scraping the previous... based solely on the fact that I have to smog it 1 extra time per two years... especially if its a well maintained classic/vintage car.

Guest 300+_T5R_855

Yeah I need to compose and email them too.

You are correct about the deisels...and how this isnt going to affect the world... but politically it makes the state LOOK like its trying.

I see this as a patch.. they are trying to re-write their previous law that hasn't been effective, without saying "oops".

btw...I paid 25 bucks for my last smog check + certificate (2 years ago).. are you getting more services, or is that a special civic? I guess I'll have to report when I come back from my next smog.

but honestly

"This can cause a major threshold shift that forces you "the consumer" to buy new cars thus increasing DMV's revenue because a new car registration is 4 times or more the amount of an older vehicle and they are using the smog thingy as an excuse for a yearly check, smog check rates have gone up and they will continue to increase."

As a car enthusiast... does an extra 25 bucks (and 30 minutes of your time) per year make that much difference that you will go and buy a new car to avoid this? or as yours, 90 bucks? My car is paid off, should I start up a new 300-400 dollar monthly payment for a new car to avoid paying a fee per year? probably not.

Not that I am FOR getting another fee to pay... but i wouldnt go to the extreme of buying a new car and scraping the previous... based solely on the fact that I have to smog it 1 extra time per two years... especially if its a well maintained classic/vintage car.

The whole problem with that idea is that they are going to make the smog harder for your car to pass and force you to retire it.

As a car enthusiast... does an extra 25 bucks (and 30 minutes of your time) per year make that much difference that you will go and buy a new car to avoid this? or as yours, 90 bucks? My car is paid off, should I start up a new 300-400 dollar monthly payment for a new car to avoid paying a fee per year? probably not.Not that I am FOR getting another fee to pay... but i wouldnt go to the extreme of buying a new car and scraping the previous... based solely on the fact that I have to smog it 1 extra time per two years... especially if its a well maintained classic/vintage car.

In case you didn't know;

Issue: Emissions/InspectionsBill: SB 266Status: IntroducedDescription: Authorizes the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District to increase motor vehicle fees by not more than $ 30 under certain circumstances.

Author: Sen. FlorezIntro

Date: 2/14/07

That's why my smog was that much, plus, a "test only" station cost more then a regular station, nothing special on the Civic..

If you like I can post a copy of the smog test/cost.

In your area it went up too;

Issue: Emissions/Inspections

Bill: AB 255

Description: Increases smog abatement fee from $12 to $16.

Author: Assemblymember De LeonIntro

Date: 2/5/07

The reason why I said that people will buy newer vehicles is because the state will opt to buy your car and give you cash for the purchase of a new car. The key word is "NEW".

All am saying is that the wonderful state of CA knows how to squeeze every penny from the car hobbyists and related businesses.

Did you that a new law just was put in place that amends SB 266 law that makes a motor vehicle speed contest subject to a one-day to 30-day impoundment and allows a county or city to adopt an ordinance declaring those vehicles a nuisance subject to forfeiture.

Its crazy but oh well, I just wanted to make any one thats interested aware of the new smog laws coming into order in CA.

CJ- That's non-sense, they voted because people like you and I aren't contacting our legislators when these crazy laws come up for vote in our senate. I'm all for a green envirioment but there needs to be a balance.

I wish they put that much effort in our broken down education system..

my .02 cents

The whole problem with that idea is that they are going to make the smog harder for your car to pass and force you to retire it.

You hit the nail on the head, no worries on my car, I can pass anyday :lol:

Raf

ahh.. gotcha now.
In case you didn't know;Issue: Emissions/InspectionsBill: SB 266Status: IntroducedDescription: Authorizes the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District to increase motor vehicle fees by not more than $ 30 under certain circumstances.Author: Sen. FlorezIntro Date: 2/14/07That's why my smog was that much, plus, a "test only" station cost more then a regular station, nothing special on the Civic..If you like I can post a copy of the smog test/cost.In your area it went up too;Issue: Emissions/InspectionsBill: AB 255Status: IntroducedDescription: Increases smog abatement fee from $12 to $16.Author: Assemblymember De LeonIntro Date: 2/5/07The reason why I said that people will buy newer vehicles is because the state will opt to buy your car and give you cash for the purchase of a new car. The key word is "NEW".All am saying is that the wonderful state of CA knows how to squeeze every penny from the car hobbyists and related businesses.Did you that a new law just was put in place that amends SB 266 law that makes a motor vehicle speed contest subject to a one-day to 30-day impoundment and allows a county or city to adopt an ordinance declaring those vehicles a nuisance subject to forfeiture. Its crazy but oh well, I just wanted to make any one thats interested aware of the new smog laws coming into order in CA.CJ- That's non-sense, they voted because people like you and I aren't contacting our legislators when these crazy laws come up for vote in our senate. I'm all for a green envirioment but there needs to be a balance.I wish they put that much effort in our broken down education system..my .02 centsYou hit the nail on the head, no worries on my car, I can pass anyday :lol: Raf
Thanks! Thats really good info that I didnt know.

In case you didn't know;

Issue: Emissions/InspectionsBill: SB 266Status: IntroducedDescription: Authorizes the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District to increase motor vehicle fees by not more than $ 30 under certain circumstances.

Author: Sen. FlorezIntro

Date: 2/14/07

That's why my smog was that much, plus, a "test only" station cost more then a regular station, nothing special on the Civic..

If you like I can post a copy of the smog test/cost.

In your area it went up too;

Issue: Emissions/Inspections

Bill: AB 255

Description: Increases smog abatement fee from $12 to $16.

Author: Assemblymember De LeonIntro

Date: 2/5/07

I don't know, maybe your county is leveraging their own increase. I just paid $45 including certifcate at a "smog only" test station in LA County. No different than the price I paid 1 1/2 years earlier for my wife's Integra.