Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DIASPAR

Obd2 Code P1618 Still Won't Go Away

DIASPAR    0

I posted a month ago on this problem (jumping in a bit late)...

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index.php?s...92&hl=p1618

and after the car began showing other ABS symptoms (ABS light, flashing UP arrow, etc) I ordered a rebuilt ABS from Victor.

Received the rebuilt ABS from Victor yesterday - easy installation, followed instructions, car w/new ABS runs quick "test" at 14 mph as advertised - but the CEL still stays on. Code reader gives me back my old friend P1618. Clear the code and it comes right back, within seconds of starting the car.

So - what I guess I've got is a multi-symptom / multi-cause problem which has been partially fixed by installing the rebuilt ABS.

Returning to my original hypothesis on this - several old posts have listed the description for P1618 as:

P1618 VOLVO Cable fault between AW 50-Q2 TCM and Motronic 4.4 ECM (MIL lamp lights)

or

P1618 VOLVO Fault in Lead Between AW 50-52 and Motronic 4.3 (MIL Requested)

which translates loosely as: "Broken Wire" or "Dirty connector"

MY QUESTION(s):

Does anyone know where the cable/connector(s) between these units are?

How about a Pin-out on these connectors?

Thanks - anything but a trip to the dealers - (please!)

evilb    0

I believe the ECU and TCM are both located in a plastic box behind the passenger headlight. You can pull them out and clean the connectors.

DIASPAR    0

OK - a quick self bump -

Both ECU and TCM modules removed, contacts cleaned and units replaced. Original ABS unit sent back to Victor for analysis -

Meanwhile - the other description I've found for code P1618 is:

" the TCM has kindly asked the ECU to turn on the CEL because it has detected a fault in the transmission and can't turn it on by itself"

or something like that. So - is this an alternate diagnosis or can one fault code mean 2 different things? One would hope that with all the numbers available they could spread things out and not have to double up...

On the off-chance that this may still be a cable problem I'm asking (again) - does anyone have a wiring diagram of the connector(s) between ECU, TCM, and ABS? I know it was on this forum (or as a maintenance question) abou 3 years ago.... anybody?

not quite sure, but i do know that if the abs is still acting up it will throw tranny codes.. "safe mode" and changes the shifting habits of the car.. i had mine get stuck in 3rd and 4 th gear..

DIASPAR    0

Car is '99 V70XC auto (have to check tranny & control unit model #s )....110K miles.

So far the "usual" ABS symptoms I was getting before (flashing UP arrow, ABS light, other CEL P-codes) have not returned since I replaced the ABS module with a rebuilt one from Victor, but the P1618 code/CEL is solid.

Thanks...

DIASPAR    0

Thanks to evilb - the diagrams were exactly what I was looking for....no more wiggling wires in the dark.

I've been reading and clearing the CEL and codes with my (generic) OBDII reader - don't know of any (non-dealer) method for clearing TCM codes...is there a way? I'll check these diagrams - maybe there's a "clear" terminal somewhere...

MrWinkey    77

Victor is very good and should work through this with you if he isn't already?

garbergtsi    1

there isnt....

i have had cars in the past that would not clear that code with a generic scantool, but using a good scantool would clear the codes in the TCM and no more problems...

JRL    321

Resurection of an old post.

Has there been any positive new info on this nasty code?