Off Topic: The Thread

Jesus

The pissy part is I called them and talked to one of their many English speaking reps (sarcastic) on how much it would cost me to sell that part... they told me ONLY the insertion fee even if I sell it. I would only have to pay fees for selling it if there is a Buy It Now and it was used. THATS where I am pissed off.

Sense. That made none.

What is the item number, I'm curious to see your decription, etc...

Has no one explained to you how monopolies work?

Enlighten me on how eBay is a monopoly? It is a secure service for selling with multiple sales methods but it is by no means a monopoly for selling your crap. Craigslist, Amazon Auctions, uBid, and a number of other services exist. Hell, even Volvospeed has a sales site as does Swedespeed. It's just that some of the more organized and sophisticated sites like eBay and Amazon charge you for the security and services and visibility they provide.

Ask Dave why he sold on eBay instead of here. I bet it's because of the ease of selling and the size of the customer base.

The pissy part is I called them and talked to one of their many English speaking reps (sarcastic) on how much it would cost me to sell that part... they told me ONLY the insertion fee even if I sell it. I would only have to pay fees for selling it if there is a Buy It Now and it was used. THATS where I am pissed off.

Why did you need to talk to ANYONE on this question? The site has a plain English help section that spells it out.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/what-fees.html

• Upvote 1

Enlighten me on how eBay is a monopoly? It is a secure service for selling with multiple sales methods but it is by no means a monopoly for selling your crap. Craigslist, Amazon Auctions, uBid, and a number of other services exist.

I'm not saying there isn't competition. But MS has competition too. Both those companies command a significant majority of the market in a market that has a high barrier to entry. While web-based companies are easy to start, the key behind successful auctions is to have a large amount of people. It is similar to the problems behind starting your own social networking site. So, majority of the market share, high barrier to entry.... monopoly.

I'm sure my accusation could be heavily debated, would never hold up in a court case or investigation and most importantly, was made somewhat jokingly. Not to be taken entirely seriosuly.

So.........care to elaborate?

Monopoly = no viable substitutes and almost complete control of the market and the ability to price at will depending on the elasticity of the price of the product or service.

More products are sold on CL than on eBay. Amazon Auctions Sales actually is a very viable business for even individuals and many types of products are sold through it. Cars are sold on cars.com and autotrader and several other sites. The fact that your best bet to sell via auction for international exposure does not make eBay a monopoly. You can still sell your product, it's just that eBay offers the superior experience for doing auctions. If you just want to list a price you can do that on eBay or many other sites.

Monopoly = no viable substitutes and almost complete control of the market and the ability to price at will depending on the elasticity of the price of the product or service.explaining how ebay got to a 10% cut.... More products are sold on CL than on eBay. Amazon Auctions Sales actually is a very viable business for even individuals and many types of products are sold through it. Cars are sold on cars.com and autotrader and several other sites. The fact that your best bet to sell via auction for international exposure does not make eBay a monopoly.

Interesting fact about CL, which pretty much disproves my entire 'arguement'. Like I said, I did not make the comment with much intent to be taken seriously, and I don't have any of the facts/numbers. I know that simply because it is a good product does not make a monopoly. And while by definition, zero competition/zero substitutes is a proper text book definition of a monopoly, I'm not sure that's been shown to be true in practice.

Oh, we're going to raise the level of discourse in this particular thread to the stratosphere if we start discussing complex markets and the continuum of perfect competition to monopoly.

You're right Alden, in practice a monopolistic pricing power often can be established, especially in products/services that benefit from network externalities (the theory of rolling snowballs in social networks), without owning 100% of the market. It all depends on how carefully you carve out the definition of the market in question.