Sign in to follow this  
Jesus

Off Topic: The Thread

Do you think people that swear are not as intelligent as people that don't?

Fuck, I've even seen Burn-E curse. He's easily in the top 50% of this site's intelligentsia.

• Upvote 3

I have some of mine and my borthers '80's Powell Peralta decks still. Ripper, McGill, Steadham, Caballero mini... Some are in really good condtion.

23002_201107150212301.jpg23002_201107150212303.jpg

I'll see that with a little of this...'70's, man, 70's...messing around in the basement this evening. I remembered where they lived.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

• Upvote 2

do you find it weird that people from MA are least likely to curse, and also least likely to be courteous, and people from MD are more likely to curse and more likely to be courteous?

No, my comment about MA is just based on my perceptions having grown up around here. I didn't think there was the NY/NJ attitude, but Boston's a great bunch of swearers. Most people are very polite when not behind the wheel. Did my comment about my stereotypes of MA being wrong add to you guys thinking I was calling people who swear dumb? I'm really surprised that's how my comments were received.

I did think all of the "opposites" were odd. There's several on the map. Polite swearing states and rude but clean spoken states.

Do you think people that swear are not as intelligent as people that don't?

The frequency with which someone peppers their speech with swear words tends to demonstrate a stunted vocabulary which could be correlated toward intelligence from at least one perspective.

Swear words are an excellent means of strongly getting a point across. If you use them too frequently then they lose their power.

Swear words are an excellent means of strongly getting a point across.

fucking right they are :lol:

The frequency with which someone peppers their speech with swear words tends to demonstrate a stunted vocabulary which could be correlated toward intelligence from at least one perspective.

If you're going to go on a fucking rant about vocabulary and shit, at least proof the fucking post.

The frequency with which someone peppers their speech with swear words tends to demonstrate a stunted vocabulary which could be correlated toward intelligence from at east one perspective.

To elaborate on perceived intelligence, I think less of people who use enormous words frequently. Especially using uncommon words with common synonyms. I presume they are trying to project themselves in a way that makes them appear more intelligent than they are. It feels disingenuous and deceitful. Otherwise known as being full of shit.

If you're going to go on a fucking rant about vocabulary and shit, at least proof the fucking post.

meh, quick post on a mobile. Color me indifferent.

To elaborate on perceived intelligence, I think less of people who use enormous words frequently. Especially using uncommon words with common synonyms. I presume they are trying to project themselves in a way that makes them appear more intelligent than they are. It feels disingenuous and deceitful. Otherwise known as being full of shit.

It all comes down to proper usage in the context of your audience.

• Upvote 2

Skunkworks.. I'm having the hardest time putting this book down. I just took a quick piss break to do just that and then post this. Oh happy dais

As a liberal arts-y guy, I often find more obscure (or larger) words to have a more precise meaning than some of their more common synonyms. It's not about being pretentious, it's about specificity.

• Upvote 1

The bottom shouts, "I'M AN LSU STUDENT." Makes me kind of sick.

I tore the shit out of my meniscus. Hurts like a bitch. #csb

Well, that'll slow down. Sister tore hers 15 years ago, she can still predict changes in the weather with her right knee.